Knife sharpening

Mace1647545504

Rivers edge cutlery on the west side will do walk ins and do a decent job for a belt sharpening.

Or, do yourself a favor and get a paper wheel for a bench grinder and some white rouge and make your own scalpel edge in about 2 minutes. zero skill required.

Link

Your link is dead, but are you talking about the small belt? I've heard the same thing, from people who sharpen knives for a living, but they also said you need to practice on knives you don't care about first until you get used to it.

Your link is dead, but are you talking about the small belt? I've heard the same thing, from people who sharpen knives for a living, but they also said you need to practice on knives you don't care about first until you get used to it.

Yeah...I've had several people recommend that sharpener to me.

I have one of these, as well as like 7other systems. It works just ok. Pretty idiot proof.

Paper wheel as mentioned above seems to be the way to go. I haven't gone that route yet.

Weilands market has a truck out there on the weekends that does it.

That is 'The Finest Edge'

https://www.facebook.com/TheFinestEdge/

They are currently doing "locker-based-dropoffs".... throw knives in a locker and pick them up by 5 next day.

EDIT: Oh snap, thats right up here by me. Yay

I have two custom knives made by Sxott and he also sharpens all my knives. I'm not sure how much he charges, but he's local in Clintonville. Let me know if you're interested.

He doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't even have a real beard anymore.

Kidding. This is my mentor thanks to Tom. I EDC one of his fixed blades in a leather sheath and this guy is a WEALTH of metallurgy knowledge and all things finer edge. I HIGHLY recommend him. I know all I know and will continue to learn all I can from this fella.

I have a ruxin pro 2 which is a chinese copy of the Apex Pro knife sharpener. I changed out the stones for quality ones and im pretty pleased with it. I haven't used any of my nice knifes on it yet mainly because I haven't had to sharpen them yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Ruixin-Knife-Sharpener-Kitchen-grindstone/dp/B01N2T5RR3

If you are looking for something simple (Kitchen variety) the little sharpener called a shark (12 bucks or less) that vacuum's to the counter. User for fish knifes and little ones in the kitchen. If you are looking for something more substantial learn how to use a stone (Maybe from the place off Cemetery road.. )

Looks like everyone is re-branding the original one. Have two and bought for parents.

https://www.amazon.com/Emeril-Knife-Sharpener-Suction-Pad/dp/B00FG9UZRS/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=Shark+knife+sharpener&qid=1584794774&sr=8-7

So you lied when you posted this or you wanted to save him for yourself...lol

giphy.gif

I thought maybe you would've seen this thread before. :) Sxott can be seen there in a pic of us working in his shop. He's hands down one of the most knowledgeable metallurgists/bladesmiths/blacksmiths I know. He's going to be doing some sharpening on some of Derek's slicey the meat knives I believe.

• 4 weeks later...
What ever happened to just using a stone and doing it by hand? I still use an old EZE Lap I got when I was like 12 yrs old. It takes less than a minute to freshen up the edge and I can shave with the results.

What ever happened to just using a stone and doing it by hand? I still use an old EZE Lap I got when I was like 12 yrs old. It takes less than a minute to freshen up the edge and I can shave with the results.

It's easier to have a fancy machine do it for you. It's like driving an automatic. lol

Side note. Just got one of these because it's the only filet knife I remember my dad ever using. We always just sharpened them on two wet stones. Ignore the shitty sharpener that came in the package.

bc16ac8af8abd40900ff57a83137c3d9.jpg

I also bought some kamikoto steak knives a while back that I'll need a stone for soon. Their stone is $200!

875dae409aafbc7f69904fbdd27d9c96.jpg