Exterior Door installer..

1Quik7

We need our front door replaced and having a hard time getting reliable people out to just give an estimate, even the big-box stores. The father-in-law does most of our work but he doesn't want to do this. Its a Left hand inswing with a 14" sidelight.

Does anyone have a lead or has done this before? We've laid new floor and are looking to have it done ASAP so we can finsih the entryway.

A buddy and I replace my door. I opted for a framed in door. As with everything we have worked on in this house, we uncovered more problems. When we removed the old door we found it was not installed correctly, leveled or braced where it should have been. I understand a house will settle, this was more than what that would be. In the end, I ended up redoing much of the area around the door, just to frame it in correctly. Check, check and recheck horizontal and vertical level, as well as ensuring the framing is not twisted in the opening. Double check clearance or gap from existing floor to threshold. Our corrected frame install created an issue with the door clearing the floor to threshold to close. A house built in 1971 has been educational and very frustrating at times.

There are some pretty elaborate doors out there. Ours was just a framed door with no side window. If I ever replace another door, it will be a solid hardwood door. We put in a metal door for insulating value and weatherization. What I know now is that these doors are 1/16" metal front and back and a slab, not sprayed in, of styrofoam slid into them.

I was quoted $1000 for the install. With all the issues we ran into, it would have turned into far more than that. And at that point, I would have had to pay it. Glad a buddy was willing to help and had done a few before. That said, more than likely, you and a buddy can do this. I break things really well. I don't fix things so good. It wasn't that bad.

There's a good vid linked in this. https://www.menards.com/main/doors-windows-millwork/exterior-doors/front-doors/mastercraft-reg-dark-oak-woodgrain-prefinished-3-panel-mission-steel-external-grille-exterior-door-system/4145528/p-1517988688819-c-9356.htm

Edited by Mojoe

We need our front door replaced and having a hard time getting reliable people out to just give an estimate, even the big-box stores. The father-in-law does most of our work but he doesn't want to do this. Its a Left hand inswing with a 14" sidelight.

Does anyone have a lead or has done this before? We've laid new floor and are looking to have it done ASAP so we can finsih the entryway.

I'm in the same situation. Did you have any luck with this?