Coronavirus II

greg1647545532

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not digging it back up but a few pages back or in the original thread I linked to a 2016-2018 whatever article published by the American dental association stating that masks during procedures did very little to stop airborne viruses however were effective at stopping large droplets like spit etc. This article was written in response to concerns about the viruses of the early 2000s such as SARS whatever.

I'm not digging it back up but a few pages back or in the original thread I linked to a 2016-2018 whatever article published by the American dental association stating that masks during procedures did very little to stop airborne viruses however were effective at stopping large droplets like spit etc. This article was written in response to concerns about the viruses of the early 2000s such as SARS whatever.

2016-2018 was then...this is now. Would you believe:

Duke

https://hartfordhealthcare.org/about-us/news-press/news-detail?articleid=27691&publicId=395

Uc berkeley

https://www.dailycal.org/2020/05/15/a-good-measure-of-protection-researchers-find-universal-masking-policies-lead-to-suppressed-spread-of-covid-19/

MIT

https://news.mit.edu/2020/masks-mandates-impact-deaths-0805

Personally I would think it's common sense but evidently some need scientists to tell them that covering your mouth and nose helps limit the germs you spread.

The interesting thing about Covid 19 is that it's technically not airborne, it's only considered to be spread through droplets.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/scientific-brief-sars-cov-2.html

most infectious disease and public health experts reserve the term airborne specifically for use in the context of airborne transmission to describe infections capable of being transmitted through exposure to infectious, pathogen-containing, small droplets and particles suspended in the air over long distances and that persist in the air for long times.

Available data indicate that SARS-CoV-2 has spread more like most other common respiratory viruses, primarily through respiratory droplet transmission within a short range (e.g., less than six feet). There is no evidence of efficient spread (i.e., routine, rapid spread) to people far away or who enter a space hours after an infectious person was there.

However sometimes these pathogens can sometimes, under special circumstances and very uncommon spread via airborne transmission. Special circumstances:

Enclosed spaces within which an infectious person either exposed susceptible people at the same time or to which susceptible people were exposed shortly after the infectious person had left the space.

Prolonged exposure to respiratory particles, often generated with expiratory exertion (e.g., shouting, singing, exercising) that increased the concentration of suspended respiratory droplets in the air space.

Inadequate ventilation or air handling that allowed a build-up of suspended small respiratory droplets and particles.

My wife is a dental hygienist and considering that they are working in a high risk environment, they have had 0 employees infected and has had 1 or 2 patients come in that tested positive shortly after. I believe this is true across the board in dental, very low cases especially considering the high risk environment.

They don't only wear masks, but also face shields.

Care to Copypasta for those of us who aren't subscribing to WSJ?
Crap. It loaded completely the first time for me, but now I get the subscribe screen. It's about long-haul COVID, as well as some studies on other organ damage, specifically heart.

There was a study of 100 patients that ranged in COVID severity, from ICU to asymptomatic, and had recovered. Over 70 of them showed heart damage/scarring/arrhythmia weeks after recovery.

Other cases of lung damage, brain fog, memory problems, headaches, blood pressure swings are talked about as well (and those are still ~6 months after recovery).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Crap. It loaded completely the first time for me, but now I get the subscribe screen. It's about long-haul COVID, as well as some studies on other organ damage, specifically heart.

There was a study of 100 patients that ranged in COVID severity, from ICU to asymptomatic, and had recovered. Over 70 of them showed heart damage/scarring/arrhythmia weeks after recovery.

Other cases of lung damage, brain fog, memory problems, headaches, blood pressure swings are talked about as well (and those are still ~6 months after recovery).

Oh yeah, and gastrointestinal issues, like chronic diarrhea caused by COVID and lasting for months.

Found out my 80 year old neighbor dude across the street got it. He's now at Mt Carmel East since Wednesday. Not on a ventilator. Walked over there today because his car hasn't moved all week which was pretty odd. His daughter answered the door and I asked if he's ok and she said he got the Rona.. and apparently she gave it to him. She was visiting from Florida with her sister to visit and she had no symptoms but tested positive and now he has it. She's fine now I guess.

Found out my 80 year old neighbor dude across the street got it. He's now at Mt Carmel East since Wednesday. Not on a ventilator. Walked over there today because his car hasn't moved all week which was pretty odd. His daughter answered the door and I asked if he's ok and she said he got the Rona.. and apparently she gave it to him. She was visiting from Florida with her sister to visit and she had no symptoms but tested positive and now he has it. She's fine now I guess.
That's awful and she probably feels pretty shitty about it. It's good he's not on a ventilator, but there are massive ups and downs with this virus. He could be stable for 2 to 3 days, suddenly crash, then repeat this cycle over and over. Doctors can only play whack-a-mole with symptoms as they happen and try to keep him stable and conformable. Hopefully he can recover quickly.

Here's an article from NPR about the current state across the country. Everyone should be careful right now:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/13/934566781/the-pandemic-this-week-8-things-to-know-about-the-surge

That's awful and she probably feels pretty shitty about it. It's good he's not on a ventilator, but there are massive ups and downs with this virus. He could be stable for 2 to 3 days, suddenly crash, then repeat this cycle over and over. Doctors can only play whack-a-mole with symptoms as they happen and try to keep him stable and conformable. Hopefully he can recover quickly.

Just so you know, this isn't how it usually plays out in the hospital, even for the 80 year olds.

Just so you know, this isn't how it usually plays out in the hospital, even for the 80 year olds.
Ok, interesting. It's how it played out with my dad over the course of 2+ weeks and we talked to others that had a similar experience. His O2 levels and settings would be stable for a day or two, in some cases improving, then suddenly things would change.

Also, be sure to wipe down and disinfect any trees that you touch.

Okay, so here's what I don't understand.

When the COVID was going to overload the hospitals the first time all of these temporary hospitals were set up, but largely never used.

Those all got taken down, never really heard much about that.

We're told how these next waves were coming all spring/summer long.

New waves are here, haven't seen anything about these temporary hospitals being set up, now we're back to panic mode with the health system being overrun.

Why weren't these set up again? From what I understand it's the state/local officials that are making the call on how COVID is handled, yet they're ready to shut shit down again when they knew this was coming.

Okay, so here's what I don't understand.

When the COVID was going to overload the hospitals the first time all of these temporary hospitals were set up, but largely never used.

Those all got taken down, never really heard much about that.

We're told how these next waves were coming all spring/summer long.

New waves are here, haven't seen anything about these temporary hospitals being set up, now we're back to panic mode with the health system being overrun.

Why weren't these set up again? From what I understand it's the state/local officials that are making the call on how COVID is handled, yet they're ready to shut shit down again when they knew this was coming.

In Michigan the hospital directors held a town hall last week. They said they think they have plenty of beds because they have a problem with qualified manpower; they don't have the staff to handle the beds they do have, and there's a concern with hospital staff getting sick and not being able to work. It's worse now than in the spring because other places across the country were offering nurses up to 4x the pay to come there for work and they have lost staff in MI.

It's possible Ohio has the same issue.

In Michigan the hospital directors held a town hall last week. They said they think they have plenty of beds because they have a problem with qualified manpower; they don't have the staff to handle the beds they do have, and there's a concern with hospital staff getting sick and not being able to work. It's worse now than in the spring because other places across the country were offering nurses up to 4x the pay to come there for work and they have lost staff in MI.

Interesting. I had seen where some cities had plans, but there wasn't this big push across the country like before from what I remember seeing.

I think the testing is still pretty flawed and that's not helping things either. All we can do is be individually accountable and do our jobs to keep ourselves and others safe.

I'm going to Vegas for a race and have already been told masks will be "strictly enforced" which I have no problem with. The other events I've been to there haven't been any issues with social distancing or any outbreaks from the events.

Lack of hospital staff is most likely the reason. My sister in law is a nurse for Ohio Health, she keeps me in the loop on a lot of this, the shit the media won't report on. She's never been concerned by the number of cases, and always points out that the hospitalization and death rates had stayed low for the Summer and early Fall. However now with cases on the rise and those rates starting to creep up, they are starting to worry about that manpower issue. When someone is out because they are sick and shouldn't be at work, now that puts additional pressure on those that can be at work. Right now this is what seems to be her concern.

This is absolutely the case in Ohio as well.

My wife said she heard that Childrens is going to start seeing adult patients as well to help with the influx. (Im not certain on any other details)

We, collectively, are morons.

A person is smart. People are stupid.

Lack of hospital staff is most likely the reason. My sister in law is a nurse for Ohio Health, she keeps me in the loop on a lot of this, the shit the media won't report on. She's never been concerned by the number of cases, and always points out that the hospitalization and death rates had stayed low for the Summer and early Fall. However now with cases on the rise and those rates starting to creep up, they are starting to worry about that manpower issue. When someone is out because they are sick and shouldn't be at work, now that puts additional pressure on those that can be at work. Right now this is what seems to be her concern.

Yup.

There's ALWAYS a nursing shortage but now its even worse. I have never worked in HR, but it had always seemed to me that hospitals focus 90% of their efforts on recruitment and 10% on retention, which makes zero sense to me. Nurses are leaving the bedside in swarms.

The hospitals locally were already near max capacity and understaffed before this wave started. Now throw in the Covid patients to an already overworked and burnt out staff, and you don't have a good combination for keeping nurses around. As it turns out, calling nurses heros every 5 minutes (cringe) and buying them a pizza doesn't get you very far. :dumb:

I'm somewhat disappointed in the summer preparation or lack thereof. We KNEW this was coming and yet, it seems as though we did nothing to prepare. There are already supply shortages that started before this wave, rooms around the hospital were never modified to accept Covid patients, staffing was never bolstered or incentivized to stay (unless you count the threats).

I keep hearing people mention setting up the Contention Center again. Like, who are you going to get to staff it? You can't even staff a hospital on a normal day with no pandemic. I've heard talk about pulling the nurses that have moved onto administrative roles to fill those gaps. Lol! Best of luck to those patients.

I keep waiting to hear that they've canceled elective surgeries again. There's been no talk of it yet but I would bet its coming.