Coronavirus II

greg1647545532

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: the aircraft carrier comment

Whats the average age on an aircraft carrier? How many of them go home daily to family?

Yes, 70% of the IS population may get this at some point, just like how many people get the common cold. But TIME is the important factor. More time gives us a chance to find effective treatments, ramp up supply chains, develop safety protocols, and not overwhelm the hospital system. If 70% got sick at the same time the death rate would be higher.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

So now even the thread mutated. Fuck, here comes the end of the world.

FWIW the Fly over by the jets was pretty cool. Beautiful day for it.

Just to stir the shit pot....

$755 Million in cuts to the state of Ohio and we are just out flying jets to show appreciation, seems like a waste of money.

FWIW I thought it was super cool and a nice gesture, but i saw a post on facebook pointing out the debt thing and thought it was a valid point.

It's been a week since the general business reopening, anyone doing anything different?

I went to Autozone for the first time since the shutdown on Saturday, but I guess they never closed anyway. 0 mask use in there, including employees. I've made a handful of trips inside Home Depot/Lowes/Ace in the last week as well, I'm finally running out of supplies for all of my ongoing projects. Mask use is pretty intermittent in there. I'm not sure if there's a class divide or if the political divide in this country is now just very visible, but for example Whole Foods represents almost 100% mask use by customers and more blue collar venues seem much less so.

I did have to remind my wife that wearing a mask barely did anything and so she shouldn't shit on people not wearing one. I think we all pretty quickly forgot 2 short months ago when Amy Acton wasn't even on the mask train, and now people act like not wearing a mask will give everyone cancer.

Oh I also scheduled a haircut for next week. My stylist is morbidly obese, I feel somewhat bad booking an appointment since she's clearly high risk but I've got drill coming up soon and my hair is so luscious right now that I don't want to just shave it all off.

I stand by my intentionally vague statement. Masks are good public health policy, they're not a panacea. My sister in law was apparently yelling at people in parks this weekend for not wearing masks on the trails. People are nutty right now. I just think people need to step back and realize that homemade masks are not the make-or-break solution some people want it to be.

I've gone to AutoZone on Henderson several times over the last 10 weeks (tool rentals/returns, dump fluid, pick up consumables), and the staff in there all wore masks (as do I).

Interesting. I went to 5th, both employees had masks down around their chins, even when dealing with customers. There were maybe 8 customers in the store while I was there, only 1 other guy had a mask on. I noticed similar trends at Ace. Grocery stores seem to have much higher mask usage; that's the extent of my data points, I haven't gone anywhere else.

To me, the points of having a mask on your face so saliva won’t spray out when you speak or sneeze. Another added benefit is you won’t pick at your face with your dirty hands if you have a mask on.

Please follow the rule so the government won’t have to shut everything down for another two months.

I was at a friends house on Sunday. Im watching his neighbor, 80+ year old man push mow his grass in a mask. There wasn't another human within 50ft of him. I wish I could have easily explained to him all the things wrong with what he was doing but, ya cant.

Went for a doctors appointment last Friday and they had list of mask rules before entry and one of the things that stood out to me "home made masks were not allowed". IDK I don't wear that crap, can't breath in it, and it causes so much itching etc that I touch my face way more anyway.

seems to be business as usual in Nashville. Most places dont give a fuck about the government rules. People need to eat. We aren't seeing a vaccine anytime soon.

I think El Presidente (Barstool Dave) captures my feelings on the situation currently.

I was at a friends house on Sunday. Im watching his neighbor, 80+ year old man push mow his grass in a mask. There wasn't another human within 50ft of him. I wish I could have easily explained to him all the things wrong with what he was doing but, ya cant.
Some people do that for allergies. My neighbor growing up always did this, even when there was no virus problem.

Some people do that for allergies. My neighbor growing up always did this, even when there was no virus problem.

Understandable. That was not the case with this gentleman. At least according to my friend who watches him cut his grass every week.

Masks are not the end all be all but help, then along with social distancing the 2 become very effective but still not 100% but close. That statement was made by dr. acton a few days ago.

Now I wear one when I hit a door at a crowded store but if I'm outside walking or go into a store where I know there isn't a crowd I usually don't but I probably should.

I've been to auto zone here in GC the 2 guys in there had no mask on nor did I.

Please follow the rule so the government won’t have to shut everything down for another two months.

Pretty much this. Things are "shut down" to minimize the spread, and the run on hospitals, not to keep everyone from getting it. In the end, it's estimated that 80% of the population will have contracted COVID-19. Best to have the number of new cases staggered out, rather than all at once.

That being said, I am guessing we are going to do all of this over again within a few months.

KillJoy

It’s hit and miss over here too. I was in Lowe’s in St Clairsville and it was nut to butt packed with not a single mask in sight except mine. It was like a free for all in that entire shopping plaza so I couldn’t wait to get the hell out of that area. Sadly they didn’t have all I needed so I ran to Lowe’s Steubenville and it was also nut to butt but I didn’t see a person there without a mask. I was thanked by several employees and shoppers for wearing a mask. Way different mentality compared to StC. I wear a mask everywhere I go no matter what and try to keep outings to a minimum. If I need to go out I hold off for as long as possible and make several stops at once. Since work had me on the road, I took the opportunity to stop and grab some stuff I needed along with some work supplies.

I see more without masks than with. They can do what they want. I wear it out of respect for the employees that are made to wear them...even though I hate it wearing it. It pisses me off though when I'm wearing one and the employees aren't. I justify it by thinking I have to wear mine for 5-10 minutes at a time and not 8 hours. If I was having to wear one for 8 hours I'd probably be even more pissed. I still wear it just because. I have a couple different masks. They almost all fog the shit out of my glasses so I can't read shit when I'm in the store because I just leave my glasses in the truck.

Just to stir the shit pot....

$755 Million in cuts to the state of Ohio and we are just out flying jets to show appreciation, seems like a waste of money.

FWIW I thought it was super cool and a nice gesture, but i saw a post on facebook pointing out the debt thing and thought it was a valid point.

I was under the impression the NATIONAL guard paid for that. Not the state of Ohio?

I was under the impression the NATIONAL guard paid for that. Not the state of Ohio?

The Ohio National Guard (ONG). Their operational funding is split between federal and state. If I recall the percentage split varies depending on type of spending. Maintenance is different than new equipment purchases, etc.

I see more without masks than with. They can do what they want. I wear it out of respect for the employees that are made to wear them...even though I hate it wearing it. It pisses me off though when I'm wearing one and the employees aren't. I justify it by thinking I have to wear mine for 5-10 minutes at a time and not 8 hours. If I was having to wear one for 8 hours I'd probably be even more pissed. I still wear it just because. I have a couple different masks. They almost all fog the shit out of my glasses so I can't read shit when I'm in the store because I just leave my glasses in the truck.

Wash your glasses daily with dish soap. I wear glasses too and that helped.