WTB: Microsoft laptop for diagnostic software

zeitgeist57

In order to fix a couple of systems on my 2005 Volvo S60, I bought a DICE cable that connects from the OBDII port to a laptop equipped with ViDA (Volvo's diagnostic/system software). However, from an Apple household, I don't have a MS Windows laptop save for my work computer.

I need something that can load a CD-ROM (for VIDA) as well as internet access. If this works, I may end up getting a Hilton Stage 1 tune as well (http://www.hiltontuning.com), which would require this laptop also to download and install. If I'm going to live with a turbo AWD car that's an autotragic, I'm damn sure going to make it perform as good as the aftermarket can get it.

Trying to keep it cheap, as always (not fancy). LMK what ya got! Thank you!

Refurbished (Lenovos) laptops at microcenter was where my thoughts also went too.

We don't have a windows PC right now but I have some projects on the horizon I will need one for and that is my plan. I know a few others who have done the same thing for tuning PCs and been really happy with it.

I don't really see what seem like any amazing deals online though. Do they have used in store that don't show up online?

Can someone who knows computers post a couple of good machines for cheap?

Sorry, but when I go to MicroCenter’s webpage I click on “Refurbished”, “Clearance”, “Open Box” and I’m looking at $450+ laptops...

Can someone who knows computers post a couple of good machines for cheap?

Sorry, but when I go to MicroCenter’s webpage I click on “Refurbished”, “Clearance”, “Open Box” and I’m looking at $450+ laptops...

Wow, they must have gotten cleaned out. Normally you can find some in the $200 - $300 range.

Here is what's recommended for the operating laptop to use VIDA:

Re: VIDA computer requirements

It must be windows 7 professional (32bit)

Internet Explorer 8.

over 3G RAM.

C:// must have 40GB space.

Software must install on C://

It must be NTFS format.

Here is what's recommended for the operating laptop to use VIDA:

Re: VIDA computer requirements

It must be windows 7 professional (32bit)

Internet Explorer 8.

over 3G RAM.

C:// must have 40GB space.

Software must install on C://

It must be NTFS format.

Windows 7 machines are getting harder to find, you for sure need an outlet or refurbished machine most likely. Try eBay? I’d offer up my daughters laptop but she still plays games on it because it’s win7 and her tower is 10.

Thanks, Ryan! Jeremy, appreciate the eBay link as well.

Hilton actually says that you don't have to follow Volvo's specs perfectly for a compatible laptop, but it helps for me to be in a range on processor, RAM, etc...

Dual boot your Mac. Its incredibly easy to do using bootcamp.

From what I've read you really dont want to do this due to unforeseen potential driver conflicts... and you really dont want to do it in a VM. Wrong 1 or 0 could in theory brick an ECU if they aren't sideloading it with checksums

• 1 month later...

Ryan came through a couple of weeks ago with the laptop. :cool:

The VIDA/DiCE package actually arrived on Wednesday. Won’t be getting around to accessing the software and working on the Volvo for a couple weeks.