What BMW For A LS Swap?

wagner

One of my future/long term projects is going to be a LS/6-speed swap into a BMW of some kind. Now, this won't be a drag race/track car, just a fun driver that the wife and I can enjoy.

I don't really know a whole lot about BMWs so I'm trying to educate myself so when the time comes I buy the right one.

The E90 chassis was at the top of my list because I saw one locally and it just looked bad ass, but I'm worried the cars CANBUS system will cause issues.

I'll be using a Holley Terminator to control the engine so I'm not worried about a harness.

Should I look at a different chassis like the E30, E36, or E46 to make this easier?

On power tour I counted half a dozen LS swapped bmws. 2 E36s (one was an actual m3), 2 E39's (one wagon, one sedan), an E30, and an E28.

By far the E36 and E39 cars seem to be the most popular to swap - kits already exist for the engine mounts and the engine bays are wide enough to accept the LS v8 and be able to service it (the e39 came with a bmw v8 in it in the 535i,540i, and m5 models). My only concern with using one of these platforms is that as time goes on, you are going to see a lot more of them so it won't really be unique.

The 90's 8 series is a good candidate since you don't see many of them, my only fear is the wiring is going to be the issue with those cars. the body harnesses run through the roof and most of the issues with those cars are electrical. The other issue is the rolling car might be hard to find for cheap - 8 series have climbed in value recently. It can be done though: https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/1697011-bmw-850-ls-5-3-turbo-1020-whp.html

My personal picks would be:

- An e34 (1989-1996) E34 5 series wagon. Considered an icon of bmw style and reliability, they are getting harder to find but not more expensive. beautiful when done right, lots of aftermarket support for the chassis, last of the full analog OBDI cars (no canbus to deal with), and just an all around useful car, esp as a wagon. I think the largest issue with an ls swap in these cars is the power steering clearance. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1627723-bmw-e34-touring-ls1-swap-bmw-5-series-wagon.html

- BMW 6 series E24 (1976-1989). This is another iconic bmw styled car that predates OBD II and canbus. Nice clean examples are expensive, but any project cars are usually pretty cheap, esp if the motor is blown. watch out for rust on these cars because it is notorious.

- bmw e63/64 6 series (2004-2010). These cars are achingly beautiful but just awful claptraps of problems which makes them cheap, even the M6s. Awesome grand touring car that needs some chevy reliability. can bus system might be a challenge on the car, but if people are swapping e39's from the same era then it must be something you can figure out. I think this would be neat. esp a 6mt m6 vert.

I think this is budget dependent. And then how nice of a car do you want to start with? Im just talking out loud here but what would have to work with the stock gauges aside from the fuel gauge that the Holley wouldn't monitor? Or you want to be able to keep the stock gauges? I think I would jam a 7" Holley display in there.

For me I think I would look for a E39 if I wanted a cruiser car. An E90 if I wanted something smaller and more nimble.

I think this is budget dependent. And then how nice of a car do you want to start with? Im just talking out loud here but what would have to work with the stock gauges aside from the fuel gauge that the Holley wouldn't monitor? Or you want to be able to keep the stock gauges? I think I would jam a 7" Holley display in there.

For me I think I would look for a E39 if I wanted a cruiser car. An E90 if I wanted something smaller and more nimble.

Oh I would totally be using a Holley dash for sure. I'm starting to dig more into what is controlled by the all-in-one ECU from BMW and I'm going to talk to my Holley engineer contact about what their ECU can do. He lives for crazy shit like this so he'll be onboard to help.

I'm wanting a car that needs little or no bodywork and the interior doesn't look like a homeless person lived inside the car.

This car is going to be a cruiser I think more than anything. I'm going to have two rowdy high performance cars, I want something that will be comfortable to drive witht his car.

I'm wanting a car that needs little or no bodywork and the interior doesn't look like a homeless person lived inside the car.

This may be one of those cases where you have to cast a wide net and find a car that's in the right condition (cosmetically good but doesn't cost a fortune) and worry about which specific model it is second. Most BMWs rack up a ton of miles, and most get pretty haggard looking.

The headaches with these come from clearance issues with the oil pan/steering rack, the headers/steering column, and even the brake booster and engine accessories. Driveshafts are easy enough to measure and have made but there's a lot of engine mount swap kits out there and not as many custom oil pans and A/C kits. Before you settle on something, I'd make sure there's parts available and/or that someone has done it before. I wouldn't want to be a trendsetter on this one.

E36

Edit, or a E34 if it's supported with swap parts.

After doing some more digging I think a E36 will work because of the CXRACING swap kit.

Their kit can be configured as needed so that's nice.

The 1991-1999 E36 will be the target years since that's what years the CX kit works with.

I might get the engine put together well in advance of purchasing the car. We've got a few advertisers that want to do an engine build so I should be able to get some good parts.

This may be one of those cases where you have to cast a wide net and find a car that's in the right condition (cosmetically good but doesn't cost a fortune) and worry about which specific model it is second. Most BMWs rack up a ton of miles, and most get pretty haggard looking.

This. Although I will add, I wouldn't even worry about the interior much, as long as the dash pad isn't cracked, everything else for the interiors of these cars is available and pretty inexpensive. you'll probably want to swap front buckets anyway with something from an M car because the standard seats aren't usually great but the M car seats are usually recaros and fit nicely. Some of the headliners can be a bitch because the windshield may have to come out to take it out and put it in, so a nice headliner is a bonus.

E30's have interiors like old muscle cars with flat door cards, so you can even make your own custom stuff pretty easily.

After doing some more digging I think a E36 will work because of the CXRACING swap kit.

Their kit can be configured as needed so that's nice.

The 1991-1999 E36 will be the target years since that's what years the CX kit works with.

I might get the engine put together well in advance of purchasing the car. We've got a few advertisers that want to do an engine build so I should be able to get some good parts.

CXRacing and SIKKY are popular with the drift bois.

Vorshlag I would imagine is the authority kit for BMW and priced accordingly.

CXRacing and SIKKY are "good enough" but typically need a little massaging.

CXRacing and SIKKY are popular with the drift bois.

Vorshlag I would imagine is the authority kit for BMW and priced accordingly.

CXRacing and SIKKY are "good enough" but typically need a little massaging.

Yeah, Vorshlag makes good stuff too it seams. I'm going to have to do some pricing to see how each compares. I'm staying away from SIKKY based on the experiences a few friends have had.

• 4 weeks later...

E30 is the lightest so you'll likely get the most bang for your buck there. Problem with E30s is you lose the brake booster and the biggest tire you can run in the back is a 235/245. These are getting more and more expensive even for a shell.

E36 has a little more room in the bay and for the rear tire. It will come to your personal opinion of E36s - I personally don't like the aesthetically so I would skip the E36.

E46 is a sweet spot in my opinion. The electronics are a little more advanced, but not so much where you need to spend thousands to get your gauges working. Plenty of room under the hood. Plenty of room for a big tire. Really great aftermarket support for other parts.

Anything past here gets cool, but has less aftermarket support or is more expensive. E87/E92 would be rad, but again, more expensive.

The E39/E34/7 series is a different animal. Are you looking for a sports car or a cruiser?

As for the E31 argument the V12 in that car is a joke. I sold a manual 850i earlier this year and haven't missed it a day. That would make a cool LS swap as an overall improvement to the chassis.

E30 is the lightest so you'll likely get the most bang for your buck there. Problem with E30s is you lose the brake booster and the biggest tire you can run in the back is a 235/245. These are getting more and more expensive even for a shell.

E36 has a little more room in the bay and for the rear tire. It will come to your personal opinion of E36s - I personally don't like the aesthetically so I would skip the E36.

E46 is a sweet spot in my opinion. The electronics are a little more advanced, but not so much where you need to spend thousands to get your gauges working. Plenty of room under the hood. Plenty of room for a big tire. Really great aftermarket support for other parts.

Anything past here gets cool, but has less aftermarket support or is more expensive. E87/E92 would be rad, but again, more expensive.

The E39/E34/7 series is a different animal. Are you looking for a sports car or a cruiser?

As for the E31 argument the V12 in that car is a joke. I sold a manual 850i earlier this year and haven't missed it a day. That would make a cool LS swap as an overall improvement to the chassis.

I'm looking to build something that's NOT a race car, got that base covered already. My goal with this build is just a nice overall car with about 400-500 hp.

The driveline will be LS or LT based with a 6-speed for sure. If by the time I'm ready to build and there's a Coyote swap option that will go in for sure.

After doing the research it will be either an E36 or E92. I like both of those body styles and there's plenty of parts for them based on my build goals.

E92 all the way over E36.

BTW, you may have trouble fitting a coyote motor.

I'm sure you've seen this, but:

661029d1501397581-ford-coyote-swaps-do-they-fit-img_5356.jpg

Yep, the Coyote is a great engine but she's a big girl with wide hips. Same thing with a Gen III HEMI, just hard to fit it in a smaller engine bay.

I might have to adjust the chassis I use based on the price I can score one for.

Outside of the engine swap I only see myself throwing some money at the suspension for coilovers maybe.