WWCRD? Overheating 2002 4Runner

zeitgeist57

My daughter goes to a friend's farm for horse-riding lessons, and with COVID even spends the whole day there on occasion, doing Zoom schooling and helping the family that runs it with chores. For a suburbanite, it's been a really nice dose of responsibility for her.

As I drive her there and back in the morning last week, I've noticed a 2002 4Runner in their gravel lot with a flat tire. Asking the wife what's up with it, she said it's a horse boarders' car and she's done with it. It was overheating and she wanted to get rid of it. I threw out a lowball offer (scrap) and the owner is considering it.

I need another vehicle - let alone a project - like I need a hole in the head. However, the owner is done, our friend wants it off her farm, and maybe I can make some money?

Pros:

- 2002 4Runner. Overlanders galore will love this thing, like the 4WD Supra it is ;):D

- Rebuilt transmission last year. Less than 5k on the thing.

- Almost no rust on the frame. Body as well except for some spots in the rear bumper.

- Limited model, so fully loaded, plus leather interior and wood trim.

- Lift kit

- Lots of other newer parts, like exhaust and brakes.

- Has a massive tow hitch? Towing package for this thing?

Cons...here we go:

- 238K MILES oof

- Overheats. I don't know what's going on yet but the radiator is decently full and not milkshakey.

- Drivers' window jumped the track, has been open. It's rained a few times over the last few weeks.

- Interior is deeeeeeesgusting. Dog hair everywhere, dirty from not being cleaned in years. No hoarder clutter/trash, but just well-used.

It fires right up, sounds great and shifts into D and R quickly. Will be picking it up once the owner schedules time.

My goal is to quickly flip it or scrap it. I really don't want to keep it.

1) Would anyone be interested in this thing for $750?

2) I know I could at least get $50-100 for the catalytic converters. Anyone know a good way to part out components, like eBay or any 4Runner forums?

3) Where is a good place to scrap a whole vehicle? Any idea what prices are these days? I've taken metal to Research Alloys at their new Hilltop location but haven't scrapped a whole car in over 15 years.

Meh...spoke (text?) with the owner. She's holding out for an "enthusiast like myself to want to take the bits and use it for another 4Runner". I hope our friend with the farm is charging her a storage fee while she takes her sweet time. :lol: I couldn't find it for sale online??

I'm backing away from this one for now. Thanks, CR!

good move. those things are slow as shit, and unless the trans comes with some kind of dream warranty just cuz it's rebuilt doesn't mean it won't shit the bed in a few thousand miles.

when you change your mind, check for heat flow across the radiator, at the thermostat, and decide if you need a water pump, thermostat, and/or radiator if there's no sign of head gasket fuckery. then dump it on some spud that heard toyotas run forever and "it's just gettin broken in" as fast as you can.

IIRC one of my coworkers with a similar year had to have the coolant/trans system flushed. There is a trans cooler that is integrated into the radiator that likes to fail and mix the fluids together. But since the coolant looks good, probably not that. From some really quick Internets searching it seems like it can make the trans fail, which makes sense if you got engine coolant in your trans fluid.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/82033-3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.html#post706218

I could imagine this scenario happening. This part fails, kills the trans. Trans and radiator/trans cooler get replaced. Engine coolant is drained and refilled, but not flushed well enough or at all. Some passages in the engine were blocked up somewhat. Maybe not that bad enough to cause quick/catastrophic overheating, but bad enough to cause some cooling problems. IDK what kind of coolant Toyota used at this time, but doesn't some coolant from that era have a tendency to coagulate and form blockages?

I like the other simple checks, but I also like my theory of what happened better. ;)

Edited by Trouble Maker

Meh...spoke (text?) with the owner. She's holding out for an "enthusiast like myself to want to take the bits and use it for another 4Runner". I hope our friend with the farm is charging her a storage fee while she takes her sweet time. :lol: I couldn't find it for sale online??

I'm backing away from this one for now. Thanks, CR!

Do they think they are sitting on some kind of future barn find?

Odd.. no reason to use anything on another truck unless it blew a headgasket or the like.

Just need to check the thermostat...see if the top hose is hot when the bottom hose is cold. See if the fan clutch is any good.... should be hard to spin when off, and make some noise when you first start it. Could try and see if the freeze plugs are in good shape, and not losing system pressure.

Does look clean, and would certainly be worth a few grand in running order.

It may need a timing belt anyway at that age so the water pump would be in that scope. Sounds like they are holding out for some cash though.

Thanks, guys. I spoke to the ranch owner and she was doing her friend a favor by keeping it on their lot. I'll keep an eye on it; if it doesn't sell soon enough I'll see if she takes my offer.

Need to get a few other projects done anyway before I can deal with this 4Runner.

I'll take it. Seriously Clay, if you don't want to mess with it, I'll give you some extra on top of your offer to take it off your hands. The quad cam is a pita head gasket swap, but I've done them before.

If it's in better shape, I May keep it, swap parts over and sell mine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys. Apparently the radiator was replaced last year?? I've given owners' info to someone on CR so will see what happens.

Yes! I'll update the Volvo thread.

Probably about the same time as the transmission?

I'm liking my theory even more now.

:fa: