WWCRD? Tow-behind for RV

zeitgeist57

Next year, I’m looking for a small, light vehicle to tow behind my RV. While it’s a sturdy 1-ton chassis With a Dana 60 dually rear axle, it’s 1975 and I don’t trust it to tow more than 3000 pounds or so, especially through the Smoky Mountains on our way down south.

- Seats 4

- Stick shift for flat towing (all 4 wheels on the ground)

- if 4x4, must have neutral transfer case setting

- sub-3000lbs if possible.

- under $5k

- A/C would be welcomed

Candidates:

-Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick

-Suzuki Samurai (tough finding a good one in my price range)

-Mini Cooper

-Fiat 500

-VW Beetle or Buggy

Any recommendations or suggestions for what else I should be looking for? I’d tow my Volvo with a dolly, but the AWD automatic drivetrain will get damaged.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honda fit or Toyota echo/yaris would be my suggestions. The packaging of the fit has always intrigued me.

I owned a (Turd gen) Fit for about 2.5 years roughly 3-5 years ago. The only real reason I sold it was because the 2 door Civic w/trubo & MT came out and I had been waiting on that to company lease one. Berto's parents bought it and I think are still with it. The Fit was dog shit slow even with an MT. I think I would have hated that car with a CVT. The gearing in the MT was too high for US highway use so the fuel economy was good but not amazing. The Civic was geared much lower and got much better fuel economy. I think I got something around 30mpg with the Fit but near 40mpg with the Civic, with much higher performance to boot. But for a run-about to tow behind the RV probably not really an issue.

I think the size of the Fit combined with that interior would be perfect for this. The interior space in the Fit is amazing, like CRV levels of space. I have a friend who's taken at that point in time his family of 5 on vacation in one with a hitch mounted cargo carrier. 2 of my coworkers who were over 6' could comfortably sit in the front and rear passenger side seat. There was (is?) a FWD MT version of them in the lower trim levels.

Another option might be an HRV. They are on the same chassis as the Fit and have the magic seats, so probably also a ton of space inside and I would hope more passenger room. I also wonder if the HRV has kept it's value worse than the Fit and might be a better deal. But the way both of these have probably kept their value might be an issue.

Clay, I have a friend who's in UA, the one I mentioned earlier here, that has an older Fit that's having some staling issues. It's one of the earlier US ones, 2nd gen, I would guess late 00"s-2010 at the newest. I've been trying to convince him to get something new, a Tesla probably 3 or Y. This might might be kismet, if you're OK with something that needs just a bit of work.

Edited by Trouble Maker

The wife has a Fit and we LOVE it, tons of room!! Like i can't believe the amount of shit we fit in this car, its absurd honestly. She has the CVT (its not fast, but its not slow by any means) and it gets about 40-45mpg highway, not sure what was wrong with Jesse's :D

The wife has a Fit and we LOVE it, tons of room!! Like i can't believe the amount of shit we fit in this car, its absurd honestly. She has the CVT (its not fast, but its not slow by any means) and it gets about 40-45mpg highway, not sure what was wrong with Jesse's :D

It was an MT.

Most of my time in that car was spent on highway near 80mph on the way to and from work.

The CVT has a wider gear range and can spin low enough on the highway.

The gear ratio span of the MT was about 4.8:1 and the CVT 6.3:1.

By my calculations and memory the MT's at almost 4krpm at 80mph. Which is way above the most efficient RPM range of most engines like this.

Calculations show the CVT to run around 2.5krpms at 80mph. which is probably around the sweet spot.

And because the CVT is at a lower overall ratio it needs more engine TQ to cruise to the same speed, which actually helps.

Just as an example, this might be something like where to MT (1) and CVT (2) lived on the highway, the % islands are engine efficiencey.

engine-TQ-map.jpg

I see a lot of people on the road with RVs at races, you don't see any of them with those vehicles you have listed. I see lots of Jeeps and cars on a dolly, but none of those vehicles.

I recommend you stay FAR away from the Mini for sure. We used one as a push car for the race car and it was total garbage. It spent more time in the shop than it did at events. I've known a few other racers that have tried them and ran away due to the issues.

Would you be open to using a dolly to tow a car?

I would. Even a $1000-1500 new one would keep miles off a FWD/RWD car that can’t be flat-towed.

I’m still sticking to my guns on the stick-shift. That’s my only hard line.

I am using this as an excuse to shop CJ5’s, CJ7’s, YJ’s as well. Tough to find non-rusted ones for sub-$4k that aren’t scooped up quickly.

I should say I’m in no rush...but i figure this is a good time to put feelers out as people are looking at storing/getting rid of fun vehicles that may be a good fit here.

Definitely bonus points for finding something already set up for towing.

I would. Even a $1000-1500 new one would keep miles off a FWD/RWD car that can’t be flat-towed.

I’m still sticking to my guns on the stick-shift. That’s my only hard line.

I am using this as an excuse to shop CJ5’s, CJ7’s, YJ’s as well. Tough to find non-rusted ones for sub-$4k that aren’t scooped up quickly.

I should say I’m in no rush...but i figure this is a good time to put feelers out as people are looking at storing/getting rid of fun vehicles that may be a good fit here.

Definitely bonus points for finding something already set up for towing.

Look down in FL. ;)

KillJoy

as much as i hate to say it, but the vw bug/buggy likely wont fit that price.

Too bad you dont head towards az. not a 4 seater, but tons of fun while reasonably close to your price point

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/peoria-1958-vw-manx-style-dune-buggy/7233042395.html

this one is an older bug, but super easy to work on

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/douglas-1964-bug/7234529226.html

I would look on thesamba.com for vw deals.

Edited by 10phone2

I see a lot of people on the road with RVs at races, you don't see any of them with those vehicles you have listed. I see lots of Jeeps and cars on a dolly, but none of those vehicles.

I mean, there's probably a reason for that. But I think it's more along the lines of 100% encompassed Venn diagram of where you are at and people with money or people who think 'Honda Fits/Minis/Fiat 500/VW Beetles are for pussies'.

But I can also get on board that Mini's are usually just a terrible idea of other reasons.

I mean, there's probably a reason for that. But I think it's more along the lines of 100% encompassed Venn diagram of where you are at and people with money or people who think 'Honda Fits/Minis/Fiat 500/VW Beetles are for pussies'.

But I can also get on board that Mini's are usually just a terrible idea of other reasons.

Well, I've stayed at a lot of RV parks and rest stops on the road where people stay with RVs, you just don't see these vehicles. The Honda Fit you'll see on a dolly, but the rest you don't.

I see lots of Jeep products getting flat towed behind RVs, but it depends on the size and towing capacity.

Having a stick shift be a requirement really shrinks the pool in size that you can select vehicles from.

I know a lot of teams have shifted to the Chevy Spark because it's bigger than a Smart car, weighs about the same, and is more stable.

Well, I've stayed at a lot of RV parks and rest stops on the road where people stay with RVs, you just don't see these vehicles. The Honda Fit you'll see on a dolly, but the rest you don't.

I see lots of Jeep products getting flat towed behind RVs, but it depends on the size and towing capacity.

Having a stick shift be a requirement really shrinks the pool in size that you can select vehicles from.

I know a lot of teams have shifted to the Chevy Spark because it's bigger than a Smart car, weighs about the same, and is more stable.

Like you kind of alluded to, I think the Jeeps in RV parks on flat tow is about the weight capacity. That combined with money and what they want for a fun run about. For the smaller car's on dollys it's probably they can do it and it keeps the miles and wear off of the car.

I would guess Chevy Spark is probably the cheapest thing used in that segment. Fit's or even a Yaris probably keep their value better, so that one makes sense too.

For Clay's use, a run-about the combo of weight requirement, stick shift. It also needs to work for his family and a few items. IMHO the Fit is hard to beat there due to the interior configuration. I guess he could probably still be under 3k even with a dolly, since the Fit is only about 2,500 pounds. But anything lighter is probably better here since he's going to be pushing his RV a bit harder and it's already power light. So he has a smaller weight and price budget than most people in RV parks and a little different purpose/target compared to pushers which just need to be small and cheap but just capable enough.