Concealed Carry Insurance

Fiji ST

Ohio has the castle doctrine, seems like throwing money away.

It depends on how you look at it. I recommend everyone read After You Shoot by Alan Korwin. It’s a great read and will really make you think about what happens after an event. Even if you do everything “right” you will likely still be spending some time with the police and need legal representation. If you have the funds for that then no worries. But most people don’t and legal costs can cripple a family. There are a bunch of differences options, USCCA, Second Call etc. The biggest advantage I see is having a network of lawyers that will work with you and the up front cash to pay for bail and retainers if necessary.

People who are considering it can offset some of their risk by educating themselves. Read and know the laws. Know what to say if you call the police. Have an emergency fund with enough for bail or retainer. Know the name of the lawyer and memorize her/her number. If you don’t carry outside your home, the likelihood of needing the coverage goes down. But if you carry outside your home, there are a lot of external forces you can’t foresee. Good luck and thanks for reading.

It depends on how you look at it. I recommend everyone read After You Shoot by Alan Korwin. It’s a great read and will really make you think about what happens after an event. Even if you do everything “right” you will likely still be spending some time with the police and need legal representation. If you have the funds for that then no worries. But most people don’t and legal costs can cripple a family. There are a bunch of differences options, USCCA, Second Call etc. The biggest advantage I see is having a network of lawyers that will work with you and the up front cash to pay for bail and retainers if necessary.

People who are considering it can offset some of their risk by educating themselves. Read and know the laws. Know what to say if you call the police. Have an emergency fund with enough for bail or retainer. Know the name of the lawyer and memorize her/her number. If you don’t carry outside your home, the likelihood of needing the coverage goes down. But if you carry outside your home, there are a lot of external forces you can’t foresee. Good luck and thanks for reading.

I was referring specifically to "home defense insurance".

As you say carry outside the home is more complex. You need to know the laws and what to say to the police even with insurance. I'd also much rather choose my own lawyer (Derek DeBrosse in my case) than trying to find one that accepts the insurance.

Putting money towards an emergency fund is way more valuable than paying an insurance company for a situation that is extremely unlikely to happen. This isn't like car insurance where you will probably have a claim eventually, it's like shark bite insurance. Holding that money yourself you can earn interest and use it if needed the million other more likely situations that could pop up. Paying the insurance the cash is just gone.

I was referring specifically to "home defense insurance".

As you say carry outside the home is more complex. You need to know the laws and what to say to the police even with insurance. I'd also much rather choose my own lawyer (Derek DeBrosse in my case) than trying to find one that accepts the insurance.

Putting money towards an emergency fund is way more valuable than paying an insurance company for a situation that is extremely unlikely to happen. This isn't like car insurance where you will probably have a claim eventually, it's like shark bite insurance. Holding that money yourself you can earn interest and use it if needed the million other more likely situations that could pop up. Paying the insurance the cash is just gone.

Yup. Dereck D and Steve Palmer are my first calls if I need a lawyer. I was circling back to the thread title and combined thoughts.