Stock engine Ford 7.3 twin turbo - 1114 hp

10phone2

I know Ford is proud of Godzilla...will be introducing a Megazilla-something mill soon enough. Would be amazing to see them have an aluminum block option.

Despite inevitable progression towards Daily-Driver EVs, we still live in an amazing time of high-horsepower factory hot rods.

I don't want to parse this too much, because no matter how you slice it 1114 hp is massive amounts of power. But my brain likes to put things in perspective.

7.3L is a big engine by any standards, but especially for a modern engine where specific output (power/displacement) has really skyrocketed.

That's about 150hp/L, even for mass production that is pretty normalish now-a-days. We are even getting mass production turbo diesels up near that area. But outside of very expensive high performance engines, and even sometimes there, this is a result of downsized-turbo engines and they are smaller, 1.5L-4.4L is probably the normal range in US market @ 150hp/L would be 225hp-660hp. And also the reality is we see numbers that high usually more in the lower displacement range. But it's often unnecessary in the higher displacement and the hp/L is lower to get better driveability.

Maybe a better way to look at it is hp/cylinder, at 140hp/cylinder, it's really high.

Quick google fu says the crate engine is rated at 430hp in stock n/a form... something's strange there. That's really low for that size engine outside of some fuel economy specific applications like Atkinson cycle engines. Going from there to >1000hp seems suspect. But I'm reading it's maybe underrated and with a few basic bolt on's it's at 660hp? That seems more reasonable out of a modern engine that size, even kind of high in n/a form for an engine that size. Then with a reasonable amount of boost could get up to >1000hp. Any knowledge or thoughts there?

That much power through a stock engine is just awesome, but also it's going to shred everything else behind it.