Particleboard strengthening - epoxy?

zeitgeist57

I know Franchi and a couple other guys dabble in woodwork...

I'm gutting the cabin on my '75 RV to repair the leaky roof. Some of the original drawers have particleboard sides that slide in and out on rollers. Because this thing is so old, the particleboard is starting to crumble.

Is it possible to strengthen the drawer sides with an epoxy? Something brush-on that hardens? I didn't google this AT ALL...went straight to my boys on CR. ;)

What they said.

You could use a surface coating epoxy (NOT a deep pour version) which would help but it wouldn't be STRONG. And for the cost of epoxy, as good stuff isn't cheap, probably just be better to replace it if you can. Cheap resin sucks balls and wouldn't help at all.

If you decide to go new, buy the wood and bring it to me with sizing of the old pieces and I can cut it down to exact sizes needed in my shop, wouldn't take long on the table saw, assuming they aren't any weird cuts.

I know Franchi and a couple other guys dabble in woodwork...

I'm gutting the cabin on my '75 RV to repair the leaky roof. Some of the original drawers have particleboard sides that slide in and out on rollers. Because this thing is so old, the particleboard is starting to crumble.

Is it possible to strengthen the drawer sides with an epoxy? Something brush-on that hardens? I didn't google this AT ALL...went straight to my boys on CR. ;)

What are the dimensions on the drawers? How many? I bet myself or some of the other carpenters on here have scrap plywood that we could throw something together better than what you could fix up with the old ones.

Thanks guys. The drawers are in good shape, it's just the bottom edges that's slowly rubbing away on the rollers. Maybe I could fashion some channels out of aluminum flashing to provide a track at the bottom of the drawer sides for the rollers to glide on?

EK3NRQml.jpg

yud5rKOl.jpg

5.5"H x 18.25"L on the sides.