Save Our Hobby NOW

wagner

The EPA and their friends are back at it again, going after the small percentage the motorsports market makes up for pollution.

Reach out to your elected official and put the pressure on.

https://www.sema.org/epa-news?fbclid=IwAR14YjzGvhJHIy-kjzuC3QE7ddO4rAgxa4IBTrYHbPh63G7z_IfR_-YHsvI

A lot of companies are already suffering and many are starting to remove products from their line just to avoid dealing with the EPA at this point.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard about this the other day. Can't believe they are wasting their time on performance motorsports as opposed to the billfuckingjillion daily driving cars...

I know of a shop that got the squeeze put on them by the EPA and it was crazy. The EPA reps flat told them it doesn't matter if the EPA is wrong, they will bankrupt companies because they have the money to do it.

That shop has been reaching out to the EPA to try and see if they can come up with a middle ground to prevent the aftermarket industry and racing from being destroyed. The EPA has told them to get fucked, we can do what we want.

They are also loading up to go after the powersports market next for land and water. Pretty much anything with an ICE is in their sights for the next 4 years at least. They know slow Joe won't do anything to stop them so they are doubling down.

There is a bright side, there are some VERY wealthy people in and around the industry that are loading the war chest and are about to start trying to crack some skulls. You don't come after a company like Holley and not expect there to be consequences.

I have been hearing lately that headers for my car are unobtanium recently, even che cheap ebay ones. I kinda wonder if this will effect big oil enough to piss them off.

Pretty soon the only way to get headers will be for a shop to custom make a set on the down low for you. So, you'll be looking at a minimum of $1,200 for a set of headers for any vehicle, any year.

Even then, they are going to risk having the EPA come down on them.

Meh

How many people do you know running catless? It's Illegal, and shops can be fined. Yet I can walk into any performance shop locally, and have this done. No questions asked.

It's already illegal, and now it looks like they might start enforcing it more. There's zero chances, that they would be inspecting shops long term. They don't have the man power. This is just a head line grab.

Meh

How many people do you know running catless? It's Illegal, and shops can be fined. Yet I can walk into any performance shop locally, and have this done. No questions asked.

It's already illegal, and now it looks like they might start enforcing it more. There's zero chances, that they would be inspecting shops long term. They don't have the man power. This is just a head line grab.

No, this is not a headline grab. I work in the industry and the EPA is actively working towards enforcing what's written and expanding the scope based on the vague language.

But what do I know I guess...

Someone told me firepunk was in trouble for tuning. I haven't been able to find anything online about it so wonder if the guy knew what he was talking about. Have you guys heard anything like that?

No, this is not a headline grab. I work in the industry and the EPA is actively working towards enforcing what's written and expanding the scope based on the vague language.

But what do I know I guess...

I mean, it's been illegal for ages. Now it's finally being enforced.

Is what it is.

Someone told me firepunk was in trouble for tuning. I haven't been able to find anything online about it so wonder if the guy knew what he was talking about. Have you guys heard anything like that?

They've been after the diesel industry for a while. A lot of shops won't touch diesel tuning anymore, or at least advertise they are.

Magazines are pulling articles down about tuning because they're being used against companies in court.

They've been after the diesel industry for a while. A lot of shops won't touch diesel tuning anymore, or at least advertise they are.

Magazines are pulling articles down about tuning because they're being used against companies in court.

An unpopular opinion but, I honestly don't feel bad for the diesel tuning industry in the slightest. For the longest time they were really reckless and it lead to this "rolling coal" bro culture that is just bad for everybody.

I don't think diesel tuning will stop - if there is money to be made then it will find a way to be made, but hopefully this approach from the EPA will force the diesel tuning industry to innovate in the emissions equipment area and be more responsible about it rather than just churning out more shitty bro-dozers. I mean it worked for the OEM's so why not the aftermarket?

I'm not being a jerk, but I'm not sure what you mean by that?

In the early 70s the EPA and other government entities started adding all the pollution controls and regulation killed the muscle car era. I see a lot of similarities. We have cars making more horse power now than ever before. Racing is super popular and there is a ton of aftermarket support. So the government says we need more regs to restrict them and make everything better...again.

An unpopular opinion but, I honestly don't feel bad for the diesel tuning industry in the slightest. For the longest time they were really reckless and it lead to this "rolling coal" bro culture that is just bad for everybody.

I don't think diesel tuning will stop - if there is money to be made then it will find a way to be made, but hopefully this approach from the EPA will force the diesel tuning industry to innovate in the emissions equipment area and be more responsible about it rather than just churning out more shitty bro-dozers. I mean it worked for the OEM's so why not the aftermarket?

Yep.

They probably have been getting endless complaints for years. Solid 50% of diesel trucks I’m behind reek, and are rolling coal. I live in a downtown, and multiple times each hour I will hear the lame as hell crackle tunes. Sprinkle in a Mustang or two with long tubes, and riding around at 5k RPM.

You're right, they brought the ultra hot light of the feds on themselves thanks to a few very stupid people.

The problem is now the feds are dropping the hammer on the rest of us along with the powersports industry too.