Possible car purchase in Pa

BBQdDude

Never bought out of state before. Possible car purchase will be from a major car dealership in Pa. Most likely cash but might finance 5K just to have an open line of credit.

How do taxes work? Will I have to pay tax in Pa? Ohio? Both?

How would registering the car in Ohio work?

I appreciate the feedback.

If working with a dealership, they should handle most that stuff for you and send the paperwork to the BMV/Title Agency. You'll need a quick, easy inspection of the vehicle verifying the VIN and a few other things at your local BMV.

https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-out-state.aspx

https://www.tomgill.com/finance/car-buying-tips/buy-a-car-in-another-state/

When I bought my truck from Arizona the dealership handled most everything. I had my choice of where to pay my taxes, Ohio or Arizona. However, they could not release the car to me directly without the taxes being paid. If they were releasing the car to a shipper, then it wouldn't have mattered. Phoenix is 1% higher than Franklin county, so I would have paid the tax here if I could have. Guessing you'll get a PA title when you buy it, then will have to convert it to an Ohio title.

My wife got her car from a dealer in Dallas, Tx. The dealership gave her a form for an out of state tax exemption and she paid the taxes in ohio. Every state is a little different but most will allow you to defer taxes in the purchasing state if the car is immediately leaving the state. The dealer should be able to help you walk through this.

I've bought three cars from PA and one from IN - two from dealers who did taxes and title transfer for me - two from private owners where I paid taxes at the BMV during new OH title transfer.

All four were Nissan's so I just went to dealership each time and had out of state inspections done. From what I recall, none of them cost over $8 to do the inspection. Not sure how much BMV charges.

When I bought a Regal from PA years back I had to pay taxes in PA, title work in PA, Temp tag for PA and then I was able to drive it back to pay taxes again in Ohio, another temp tag and title work for Ohio.

Mine wasn't a dealership though. Private party.

You should ONLY pay Ohio taxes. DO NOT pay taxes in the state you are buying it from.

I agree. I honestly can't remember what it was in PA. I know I had to spend $70 for a temp tag to drive it 3 1/2 hours and some crap to get the title notarized (extra).

I bought my truck from a dealership in PA last year. It went like this:

At the dealership I paid for temp tag registration and the expected OH taxes. I asked if I could just pay the taxes when I was back in OH, but they said that by PA law I had to pay taxes at the time of sale, and they would send me a check for the taxes with the title.

I drove on the PA temp tag until the dealership sent me the title and a check made out to the OH clerk of courts for the taxes.

I went to a BMV and got an out of state inspection. (less than $10)

Next was the title office. I gave them the check, title, and out of state inspection form. The dealership got their math wrong, so I paid the difference in tax, plus title fees.

Then to the BMV again to register it and paid the usual fees.

I bought my truck from a dealership in PA last year. It went like this:

At the dealership I paid for temp tag registration and the expected OH taxes. I asked if I could just pay the taxes when I was back in OH, but they said that by PA law I had to pay taxes at the time of sale, and they would send me a check for the taxes with the title.

I drove on the PA temp tag until the dealership sent me the title and a check made out to the OH clerk of courts for the taxes.

I went to a BMV and got an out of state inspection. (less than $10)

Next was the title office. I gave them the check, title, and out of state inspection form. The dealership got their math wrong, so I paid the difference in tax, plus title fees.

Then to the BMV again to register it and paid the usual fees.

This is exactly how my process worked when i bought a car from Oklahoma

well you have to at least tell us what it is!!!!

Buwhahahaha ....true

2018 Honda accord ex-l 1.5t engine

So I went down one year lower than what I wanted but I HAD to respect my budget that I set. It sucks having the money in cash BUT knowing you have other priorities. Sigh....

I had an accord already and really liked it but the trim level I had made me miss some things I did not want to give up. So I sold that off to we buy any car (Sorry if I now have that song in your head lol). I did a KBB cash offer to see what dealers would give me and WBAC came in 4700 more so I sold it to them. I actually got more than what I paid about 1 year and 10 months ago with 30K more miles on it. Cool story bro.

I threw a 200 mile radius on the major car web sites (prior post here) and a

2018 with 20k miles was the winner out of 15 cars that I called on. It was in Cuyahoga falls and I am in CBus. I had the dealer do a live feed walk around. I went in last Friday and the car had two very very minor scratches maybe 1 inch long (wet sand). Other than that clean inside and out.

The dealer finance was just that lol. I told them prior to coming in I was doing 90% in cash with financing the rest on a two year term with 4% maximum interest rate. They, once I got there, stated 10k minimum and a 48 month loan at 8%. My rebuttal was, no worries I will pay cash in full. 10 minutes later I had a loan for the amount needed on a two year term with 4.2%. Funny how that works lol.