☆~PoLOLtics~☆

greg1647545532

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know people that are not vaxxd and have been exposed in close, extended proximity of someone actively sick and no one got it.

Im not saying its fake, im just offering an experience ive seen. I also know just about everyone I know has it right now. some with mild symptoms, others with no symptoms.

Its fuckin wild how crippled some people are of this now endemic.

Has a lot to do with health and underlying conditions. Those that are overweight are generally less healthy to begin with and since a large swath of our society is, we're going to continue to see them get hit. Vaxes aren't as effective on them either. Time to move on. It's going to be a shame if 2022 is another year of shit show events.

Has a lot to do with health and underlying conditions. Those that are overweight are generally less healthy to begin with and since a large swath of our society is, we're going to continue to see them get hit. Vaxes aren't as effective on them either. Time to move on. It's going to be a shame if 2022 is another year of shit show events.

Actually no....

It has most to do with your genetics. A virus isn't technically a living thing, it's a small piece of self replicating genetic code (either DNR or RNA) that inserts itself into the code in your cells in order to replicate. Everyone's DNA is different as is their internal environment. It isn't known yet why Covid-19 and it's evolving variants find hospitable vs hostile in each case, but a lot of the differences in environment boil down to genetics and immune systems.

yes co-morbidities can make the symptoms worse for a lot of people, and even fatal, but that isn't why some people are unaffected and others are gravely affected, it's just why some who are affected have a worse experience than what they would have had if they were in shape. Poverty, malnutrition, starvation, and improper access to medical care etc...also play a part but It's not hard to see Tim that you don't really care about those people, you just want to bag on fat people because that's your thing. There are enough people with co-morbidities that are unaffected to be considered more than outliers so really your position falls apart. If you think you can just stay fit and be healthy and this won't affect you - that's a huge gamble you take based on false logic.

kerry you are partially wrong...just a few days ago one of the talking head docs on the news said obesity and diabetes play a large part in covid issue, but i agree that genetics play a large part in it.

With the last part I'm glad to see you are in agreement with me

They play a large part in the death toll because those who are susceptible to it are far far far more likely to have an adverse reaction to it if they have co-morbidities like obesity and diabetes. To that end I agree with all of your statement. The genetic component and who is susceptible (i.e an a-symptomatic carrier) is genetic.

it sounds like we are in full agreement. Tim on the other hand thinks if you are in good shape you have nothing to fear (something I have heard him say multiple times), which is just simply not true and I don't think you would agree with that either.

So far what we are seeing is that those who are vaccinated are more likely to either not become symptomatically infected and if they are are more likely to have a positive outcome than those who are not. In the unvaccinated category those who are fit are more likely to have a positive outcome than those who have co-morbidities, but either way the vaccinated still have the highest chance of a positive outcome. Trying to dismiss or trivialize vaccines because a person is healthy is just recklessly bad advice on all fronts.

new york is doing a great job with covid numbers using your logic. genetics has nothing to do with not being able to put down the spoon. sure people are born short, big boned, etc... but rocking 200 pounds over weight is a personal decision.

new york is doing a great job with covid numbers using your logic. genetics has nothing to do with not being able to put down the spoon. sure people are born short, big boned, etc... but rocking 200 pounds over weight is a personal decision.

I dare you to make less sense.....seriously, I know these are English words but WTF are you actually trying to say?

new york is doing everything your side wants... vaccinations to be empolyed, shut downs, etc and still has garbage numbers vs the rest of the country.

people are born a certain way and not a thing is wrong with that... being 200 pounds over weight is a personal decision.

new york is doing everything your side wants... vaccinations to be empolyed, shut downs, etc and still has garbage numbers vs the rest of the country.

What side is that? I keep telling you I don't have a "side".....sigh....

Anyway, NYC isn't a situation you can compare with say, columbus ohio. For starters it has 10x the population in roughly the same physical space. Still for all those "mandates" between 15 to 30% are still unvaccinated in the city, to put that in perspective 10% is the population of the entire city of columbus.

only about 8% of covid tests administered are coming back positive, but because of sheer density that comes back as tens of thousands of cases per day. Columbus is seeing the same spike in cases on the same days but because of the population density it's 1600 instead of 15,000. Columbus is seeing a 25-30% increase in positive covid tests so it's actual beating NY percentage wise ;) .

Even with all the "record breaking" numbers - the largest pool of individuals suffering from covid across the board is the unvaccinated. So your example of NY is moot.

people are born a certain way and not a thing is wrong with that... being 200 pounds over weight is a personal decision.

This is not true for everyone, there are a number of diseases that can cause an involuntary obese condition in people. By why let that get in the way of a good fiction.

The biggest factor in getting each of us personally and our society as a whole back on track towards a "next normal" is to get vaccinated, if you're an adult over 18yo. Plain and simple. COVID is here to stay for the forseeable future, but people have stupidly made vaxxing a political issue. The most disturbing example of this over the last couple weeks is how much posturing people have taken over Trump's admission to Candace Owens that vaccines help, getting all anti-vax Trumpers in a tizzy.

However...

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/us-vaccine-demographics.html

What still surprises me is the third-rail of this conversation: how many people of color refuse to get vaxxed. I'm somewhat familiar with the Tuskeegee Study so I appreciate that black people are skeptical of government solutions to this problem, but they are gambling with more than just their own life with this virus.

Columbus is seeing the same spike in cases on the same days but because of the population density it's 1600 instead of 15,000. Columbus is seeing a 25-30% increase in positive covid tests so it's actual beating NY percentage wise ;)

Case in Franklin County (Columbus) are up way more than that. Most of the summer was fine. August we ended with just over 322 cases per day. September was a blip up to 540 per then October a drop of about 41% to 306 per day. From there it's been climbing. Up 30% in Nov to 400 per day and December a whopping 190% over Nov. to over 1,100 cases per day.

That said, the number of people hospitalized has had the opposite. It's dropped 3 months in a row from and the rate of hospitalizations per-case has also dropped. (Sept-Oct were flat at about 150, Nov 135 and December only 119 in all of Franklin County. In fact, December marks a record low at only .3% of cases resulting in a hospitalization (again, a Franklin County Stat) although the entire state finished Dec. at 2.4%, also a record low for Ohio.

Even with all the "record breaking" numbers - the largest pool of individuals suffering from covid across the board is the un-vaccinated. So your example of NY is moot.
So they say and while I believe them, the ODH needs to start publishing vax status on their .csv file released daily. They have told me they aren't going to but won't say why. Ugh. That doesn't speak to transparency or trust. That aside, the largest groups impacted grow based on age. Both in terms of hospitalizations and most clearly deaths.

Great news is the vaxes clearly show effectiveness in the 70-79 and 80+ groups. Their rate of death per cases early in 2020 was upwards of 50%. Then it made a crash to low double digits this year and in December it's mid 5% or so. Lots of reasons involved but no doubt the vax too. The elderly still make up 75-82% of all deaths though. Not surprise and nothing new here.

This is not true for everyone, there are a number of diseases that can cause an involuntary obese condition in people. By why let that get in the way of a good fiction.
Meh....point still stands, if you're overweight, it's on that individual and they are at greater risk and the vaxes aren't as effective on them. Society as a whole needs to get in shape. I'll argue it's more the unhealthy having a negative impact on the systems today than the unvaxed or non mask wearing, etc. 3:1 margins in fact.

The discussion should not be a binary dead vs alive. There are millions of people with "Long COVID" or serious, possibly life long side effects from their battle with COVID. Heart conditions, blood clots, lung damage, etc. This also makes them more susceptible to severe outcomes in a second or third infection.

Maybe Franklin County is doing well, but here in MI we have had some of the highest numbers of people hospitalized this last month since the beginning of this. Over 90% of ICUs were/are people who were unvaccinated. Luckly the hospitalization numbers started to go down a little, but cases are still going up (this trend is probably due to Omicron taking over). My county is running around 26% positivity and 80 cases per 100k.

My wife's cousin is a doctor in Grand Rapids and there are some bat-shit-crazy ideas people have when they show up to the ER about why they're not vaccinated, or why this whole pandemic is fake.

IMO, being physically fit seems to have very little to do with how COVID effects you, unless you have diabetes, heart disease, asthma, as a result of that. There are athletic people in their 30's and 40's who have gotten this and have long term effects, can't even climb a flight of stairs, now have a heart condition, or even died. Yes, based on demographics the risk of death is lower in this age group.

My kids friend, 7 years old, who ended up with MIS-C and almost died several times over the course of a week has to see a cardiologist at UofM every 6 months now. The doctor said of all the MIS-C kids he is monitoring he is the ONLY one who is currently not showing any lasting heart damage. Yes, the numbers are lower in his age demographic, but there are kids living with the long term effects and are more susceptible when re-infected. The doctors told this kids parents that had he come in to the hospital in that condition 6 months earlier he would have died, but they are learning how to treat this better. Slowing the spread buys time to learn how to treat cases, to develop new treatments, to create stock of and distribute these treatments, and lower the burden on the hospitals resources.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The biggest factor in getting each of us personally and our society as a whole back on track towards a "next normal" is to get vaccinated, if you're an adult over 18yo. Plain and simple. COVID is here to stay for the forseeable future, but people have stupidly made vaxxing a political issue. The most disturbing example of this over the last couple weeks is how much posturing people have taken over Trump's admission to Candace Owens that vaccines help, getting all anti-vax Trumpers in a tizzy.

However...

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/us-vaccine-demographics.html

What still surprises me is the third-rail of this conversation: how many people of color refuse to get vaxxed. I'm somewhat familiar with the Tuskeegee Study so I appreciate that black people are skeptical of government solutions to this problem, but they are gambling with more than just their own life with this virus.

clay its more than just the tuskeegee study. there has been a steady decline in the health of african americans for the last 40 years. for example, i have been going to mardis gras off and on for 30 years. now it is a regular occurrence to see a high school girl over 300 pounds and barely 5 foot 5 and now starting to see young children who will likely lose a foot due to diabetes in there 30s if they stay on that path. if one can't simply manage the needed physical activity, then its low chances they will be able to manage any other medical treatment.

I'm likely getting over COVID right now, rest of my family has it, wifes vaxinated, brother, his wife, there kids all vaxxed and have COVID as we speak. My oldest daughter however does not have any symptoms. My brother's family are the only ones silly enough to go get tested for a cold. Cost them nearly $1000 which they don't have.

My wife is presenting with a ton of serious coughing.

I myself have every last HIGH RISK condition that should make me dead from COVID, I've had a pretty easy ride with just a very high fever, 103deg and chills. Diabeties, yep I take shots daily, pills, etc. ME/CFS or as they are now calling it (long covid) yeah I've had that since the 80's from another viral outbreak, high BP, overweight, yeah everything except being over 60 years old. I'm not vaxxed, not gonna be, and got better things to do then worry about "omicron".

The discussion should not be a binary dead vs alive. There are millions of people with "Long COVID" or serious, possibly life long side effects from their battle with COVID. Heart conditions, blood clots, lung damage, etc. This also makes them more susceptible to severe outcomes in a second or third infection.

I haven't followed every post but I don't see it being made binary dead vs alive. If it were, the alive part would be like 99.5+ %. I see most people here realizing the grey area is where we are, have been and will be for quite a while. Haven't seen any indications we're about to eliminate a Corona Virus from the earth so let's no act like we're on tract to do that. It can be the goal but let's not place a false goal post in place only to move it yet again. We're already in year 3 of 2 weeks to flatten the curve.

In terms of side effects, the longer term things are not new. Today's "long hualers has been around and known as “post-viral syndrome,” since the days of the Spanish Flu. It's not new or unique to covid. viral pneumonia and TB have similar after effects. Chronic disease present long term serious lingering issues too. I dont' see people dismissing any of them, just learning to live with the risks and no longer living in fear.

My wife's cousin is a doctor in Grand Rapids and there are some bat-shit-crazy ideas people have when they show up to the ER about why they're not vaccinated, or why this whole pandemic is fake.
Meh, reasons are like opinions and assholes, we all have them. Can't worry about who does what or why. Again, had the powers that be on all sides been upfront, clear transparent and HONEST they might have built up some solid credibility and trust and not driven so many to the extremes. Mandates, lies and bullshit spread far and wide isn't helping so they need to stop that crap.

IMO, being physically fit seems to have very little to do with how COVID effects you, unless you have diabetes, heart disease, asthma, as a result of that.
It's not about being physically fit, it's about overall being healthy. There are a lot of physically fit people who aren't healthy. Leading chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, stroke, chronic pulmonary disease, and diabetes are among the top ones, and are driven mainly by lifestyle and the top two of those kill more in one year in the US than covid has in to date. Some believe genetics plays a role in loading the gun but what we eat, expose ourselves and bodies to tends to pull the trigger. It's past-time for people to get healthy and as I've noted, if they choose not to then, that's on them.

There are athletic people in their 30's and 40's who have gotten this and have long term effects, can't even climb a flight of stairs, now have a heart condition, or even died. Yes, based on demographics the risk of death is lower in this age group.
Yep, again, no direct line and never will be. Kids die of cancer and healthy athletes have their hearts fail too. Not everything is clear-cut or binary as you note. Risks, odds, chances and luck fill our lives. We're just at a point after 2+ years that many of us are moving with our lives. Life is short as it is and I'm personally not going to waste any more of my life in fear.

Slowing the spread buys time to learn how to treat cases, to develop new treatments, to create stock of and distribute these treatments, and lower the burden on the hospitals resources.
Good luck. We're not going to slow the spread and 2 years is proving that. Many would argue we're doing more harm than good too. We have therapeutics, vaxes and plenty to run with to help. Time to leverage them and learn to live with our newly introduced risk. Thanks China. I agree that the burden on hospitals can be bad. Let's work to ensure there are no unnecessary ones being put on them but then we've seen some mandates do just that......all in the name of science right? Best thing every single person can do is to be smart, get healthy and heal the divide. Continuing to argue and threaten isn't going to do that nor build trust in anyone that calls themselves a leader.

Good luck. We're not going to slow the spread and 2 years is proving that. Many would argue we're doing more harm than good too. We have therapeutics, vaxes and plenty to run with to help. Time to leverage them and learn to live with our newly introduced risk. Thanks China. I agree that the burden on hospitals can be bad. Let's work to ensure there are no unnecessary ones being put on them but then we've seen some mandates do just that......all in the name of science right? Best thing every single person can do is to be smart, get healthy and heal the divide. Continuing to argue and threaten isn't going to do that nor build trust in anyone that calls themselves a leader.

"Slowing the spread" is about managing hospital capacity and supplies. Many hospitals up her have been at capacity since early December, trying to transfer people to other regional hospitals and having no luck. Monoclonal antibody treatments are in short supply and people can't get them. Two therapeutic pills have been approved now, but there is no supply built up. None of this is the result of any mandates, and all could be improved by lowering the number of active cases.

I'm not advocating for everything to close down and everyone to stay home. There is a difference between "living in fear" and managing risk.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

show us anything from fauci when vaccines were released that people would need booster shoots every 6 months to be fully vaccinated.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/will-we-need-covid-19-vaccine-booster-fauci-says-bottom-n1268019

"The bottom line is, we don't know if or when we will need booster shots," Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told NBC News. "But it would be foolish not to prepare for the eventuality that we might need it."