Help me shoot down my business idea, involves CNC DIY

Tractor

I run around the beach stores here and see boat loads of "made in china" stuff. Especially the wooden items such as "Lifes better at the beach" signs, etc.

My question is, why can't a piece of wood be made here and sold as "Made local" right here in the very county they are sold in. I have the space, I have the time, all I really need is less than 10K in equipment and I could be churning out USA products to sell at the "local" owned shops and even open my own store front.

Now lets shoot this down because I wanna know if I'm gonna get a visit from the Chinese mob and be swimming off the coast somewhere.

No market for it?

Can't compete with price?

Yeah, you'll be wearing iron boots...

It's likely can't compete with the price, but in order to say that definitively I think you have to know the actual product a little better. Do you have a specific item we can use for reference?

There is always a "way" if you are resourceful, but often that relies on special factors.

https://www.wayfair.com/Rosecliff-Heights--Another-Day-in-Paradise-Pallet-Wood-Sign-Wall-D%C3%A9cor-CJ117142-L6851-K~HGWC1037.html?refid=GX434287247429-HGWC1037&device=c&ptid=902133641926&network=g&targetid=pla-902133641926&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=47849738&fdid=1817&gclid=Cj0KCQjw18WKBhCUARIsAFiW7JwsEXb68DuocGhOvT79baT3e8S2R77Ts2fpPjZ5Z2JeUEzTwTgpQqwaAqugEALw_wcB

Here's a link to an example on wayfair. Price is pretty typical of what you'd find at the beach stores here because here they go after the impulse buyers.

I suppose for price, pay a few percent more for made local vs the china stuff. I'm thinking especially at the store front market to that for sure with the story, the photos of the family, the process what ever to get the emotional reaction to make the sale. Store front would also likely have a "window into the shop" experience to see the machine building and maybe people doing stuff eventually. Even "while you wait" stuff like engraving, maybe even painting if I can get a drying process thats reasonable for some products.

Have to agree with Kerry, the price per unit is going to kill you I think. China can make widgets for $0.05 and sell them for $3 in a US store. You'll make the same widget for $2.00 and then have to charge $3 and then the store has to sell it for $4-$5 I'd assume.

I suppose for price, pay a few percent more for made local vs the china stuff. I'm thinking especially at the store front market to that for sure with the story, the photos of the family, the process what ever to get the emotional reaction to make the sale. Store front would also likely have a "window into the shop" experience to see the machine building and maybe people doing stuff eventually. Even "while you wait" stuff like engraving, maybe even painting if I can get a drying process thats reasonable for some products.

I do love this idea. We just got back from Holden Beach and everything in the shops there is from China and is all generic beach stuff with just stickers of the different beach names. Engraving and seeing pictures of the process would be awesome I'd think.

I can't remember where, but I remember reading that most people will pay about 10% more for "made in the USA" but not much more. $3.50 on a $35 sign may not be enough to offset the materials differential between here and China.

That said, the "Custom" angle and the people watching it get made angle may justify a higher price, esp if your shop has it's own designs not found anywhere else, and maybe some other draw too.

I don't know, I haven't worked much retail in my life, just thinking about it from the perspective what what I would buy.

I can't remember where, but I remember reading that most people will pay about 10% more for "made in the USA" but not much more. $3.50 on a $35 sign may not be enough to offset the materials differential between here and China.

That said, the "Custom" angle and the people watching it get made angle may justify a higher price, esp if your shop has it's own designs not found anywhere else, and maybe some other draw too.

I don't know, I haven't worked much retail in my life, just thinking about it from the perspective what what I would buy.

I agree the custom market is probably a better money maker. China has the generic chachkies bullshit pretty lean. I'm working on finishing the setup on my CNC router project. I'm trying to figure out what software I want to run. Fusion 360 is the direction I'm leaning, but I keep wondering if I should go with a simpler program.

As a business owner I'll say, don't jump into something because its sounds profitable. You have to tally your man hours and what your time is worth, to decide if it is truly profitable. Owning a business to do 150k with 50% "profit" but requires 50-60 of your man hours, isn't a profitable business.

I've been thinking about one of these once the move to SC is done.

https://glowforge.com/

One of the women here at school has one and she loves it. She sells lots of crafty kinds of items, so it's paying for itself relatively quickly. Hers is a hobby business though so she does it for fun and makes a small profit.

One of the women here at school has one and she loves it. She sells lots of crafty kinds of items, so it's paying for itself relatively quickly. Hers is a hobby business though so she does it for fun and makes a small profit.

This was my advice. Start out small, as a hobby and see where it’ll take you.

As a business owner I'll say, don't jump into something because its sounds profitable. You have to tally your man hours and what your time is worth, to decide if it is truly profitable. Owning a business to do 150k with 50% "profit" but requires 50-60 of your man hours, isn't a profitable business.

I hear ya, it's very common here for retirees to spend retirement on a restaurant franchise or something else and all they end up with is an 80hr week and a 50k job.