Is this serious?

Forrest Gump 9

Looks like MSRP is ~$110k with the stated (carbon parts + carbon breaks) and easily visibly discernible options (those seat are a $6k option).

A 30% market on a car with probably very limited availability and (very) long wait time in today's market is probably pretty normal. Depending on how limited the Blackwing run is, they could already be al gone.

$145k seems crazy to me, but it doesn't seem unrealistic given everything stacking up in favor of a high price on a car like that.

What is it? For some reason Facebook tells me Page Not Found when I click the link.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

It's an optioned out 2022 CT5-V Blackingwing edition.

Edited by Not Brian
BPS

Before the current Supra was released, the rav4 prime was the fastest stock vehicle Toyota ever sold.

5.4sec 0-60 and 14.0 flat 1/4 mile? I'm not sure if I should be impressed or not. For a karen/mom SUV that's decently quick (faster than an SN95 mustang Gt). For being the second fastest thing Toyota makes, those numbers are depressing (esp with the FR-S in the lineup).

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a33028735/2021-toyota-rav4-prime-xse-by-the-numbers/

It's a shitty time to buy a car right now, new or used. Everything is so fucked. Is it even possible to get a "good deal" on a car anymore? Or is this new artificial inflation truly permanent and we all need to adjust our expectations?

It's a shitty time to buy a car right now, new or used. Everything is so fucked. Is it even possible to get a "good deal" on a car anymore? Or is this new artificial inflation truly permanent and we all need to adjust our expectations?

IMHO, I think inflation is only going to get worse. And interest rates will rise to combat it. So it'll get worse regardless. How the true price of vehicles correlates with the price of everything else going forward, don't know. You have so many different forces at work... inflation, changing interest rates, "chip shortage", people not working, supply chain issues, trouble with China, hundreds of thousands of cars already built waiting for electronics, then a big EV wave is supposedly coming in 2024.

IMHO, I think inflation is only going to get worse. And interest rates will rise to combat it. So it'll get worse regardless. How the true price of vehicles correlates with the price of everything else going forward, don't know. You have so many different forces at work... inflation, changing interest rates, "chip shortage", people not working, supply chain issues, trouble with China, hundreds of thousands of cars already built waiting for electronics, then a big EV wave is supposedly coming in 2024.

Interest rates should have gone up several years ago, if the economy is actually as healthy as people have been claiming.

There aren't that many people who aren't working. Weekly jobless claims are low and unemployment is below 5%. But there is a shortage of qualified employees in certain areas (like truck drivers) that is driving price increases.

New car prices haven't gone up much in the last year, it's just that demand is larger than supply so incentives have disappeared. The chip shortage has caused this (though a rubber shortage may be here too), as well as reduced some options/features that are available. The reduced supply of new cars has caused used car prices to go up. Though I would argue that GOOD used car prices have been on the rise for a while, even given rise to used car leasing.

I still don't understand (and I don't think anyone does) whether the rise in prices will be permanent or how far they will drop again once supply chain issues relax.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

hundreds of thousands of cars already built waiting for electronics

This is something I have been wondering about. I'm assuming the "oldest" new vehicles are typically first in line to get the semiconductors as they come in, no? If it gets to the point where there's a ton of new vehicles that are actually a year (or more) old by the time they are complete, dealers can't realistically expect to sell them at their original MSRP, can they? I mean I guess if demand still outweighs supply they can do whatever they want.

This is something I have been wondering about. I'm assuming the "oldest" new vehicles are typically first in line to get the semiconductors as they come in, no? If it gets to the point where there's a ton of new vehicles that are actually a year (or more) old by the time they are complete, dealers can't realistically expect to sell them at their original MSRP, can they? I mean I guess if demand still outweighs supply they can do whatever they want.

You answered your own question there, but i've seen many people go in and put down payments on a car waiting for delivery because they are afraid it's only going to get worse so they want to "lock in" at the right now price. Dealerships are playing it up too.