Actual socket sets?

Tractor

I'd like to get a nice complete set. My old stuff is broke lost etc. I just don't want to buy a 300-400 piece set with the same 45 sockets and 300 screw driver bits and Allen wrenches I'll just throw away as soon as I open the box.

What's a good bang for buck solution?

I'm at the point where I'm gonna make a list of the sizes and find the closest kit I can and figure the rest out some other way but figured I'd ask.

Really only need 1/4 3/8 1/2 drive sockets. I have the socket wrenches that I like and our well broken in so that doesn't even matter.

I guess maybe I could do an inventory to see what I'm missing first idk.

Ton's of deals right now for Christmas as far as gift packages/extra sets/etc. If you are looking for budget/affordable and not trying to drop $1000's which it kind of sounds like?

I have a harbor freight Quinn set and for the little bit of wrenching I do it they've been great. Haven't had any issues with them and haven't broken a socket yet. Again not sure lifetime but the fit/finish is good and they haven't failed yet. So check harbor freight.

Also check lowes, home depot, ace, etc. for their deals. Sounds like you might be looking for specific sockets/lengths/etc. so there might just be a deal that is right for you.

If you don't check this website out might want to watch it I've been seeing a lot of tool deals lately with Christmas shopping for "dads".

https://slickdeals.net/

Ton's of deals right now for Christmas as far as gift packages/extra sets/etc. If you are looking for budget/affordable and not trying to drop $1000's which it kind of sounds like?

I have a harbor freight Quinn set and for the little bit of wrenching I do it they've been great. Haven't had any issues with them and haven't broken a socket yet. Again not sure lifetime but the fit/finish is good and they haven't failed yet. So check harbor freight.

Also check lowes, home depot, ace, etc. for their deals. Sounds like you might be looking for specific sockets/lengths/etc. so there might just be a deal that is right for you.

If you don't check this website out might want to watch it I've been seeing a lot of tool deals lately with Christmas shopping for "dads".

https://slickdeals.net/

Looked on that link, thanks. I see a few things in gonna look into more. I don't mind dropping hundreds I just don't want to be buying a bunch of stuff I don't need. I don't think in 30 years I've ever used the screwdrivers or bits in those tidy little kits. I have those that I buy from other sources.

Yeah it's a cool website in general. I buy quite a bit from there throughout the year for probably 10 years now.

But yeah I agree. I can't tell you how many of those stupid allen wrench sets and such I have lol!

For sockets anymore, I’ve opted to scour eBay or whatever for the onesie-twosie I need to replace and keep my sets complete. Other than that, kobalt is ok for sets, as is anything “better” from harbor freight if you are just a shade tree mechanic like many of us. I’ve broken a few things over the years from harbor freight and never had an issue with getting a replacement, even if it’s a piece from a bigger set. They’ve usually just opened the set up, pulled the piece out and handed it to me. Then I wait for them to put the opened set on the clearance rack, but lately those clearance markdowns have been terrible.

On Pittsburg brand and “better” they are warrantied, but the cheap-o stuff isn’t. Just watch what you buy. As for craftsman, I can’t get them to replace anything locally. They try to replace my old craftsman stuff with their knockoff line that has no warranty so they can pound sand.

TIP: harbor freight coupon database

https://www.hfqpdb.com/

They may not run all coupons across all markets, but they are all valid in all markets. Also you can find historical prices to see if anything is really a good deal. Using the site I found their black friday pricing was at best as good as their best historical coupon pricing.

TIP: harbor freight coupon database

https://www.hfqpdb.com/

They may not run all coupons across all markets, but they are all valid in all markets. Also you can find historical prices to see if anything is really a good deal. Using the site I found their black friday pricing was at best as good as their best historical coupon pricing.

Oh wow is this website kept up to date? Never seen it before.