road trip

rick37

has anyone here ever done a cross country road, I am planning one on july 18th, Leaving cbus and heading west for a week to 10 days with out a care in the world, NO wife or kids, FREEDOM yea

If anyone has I would like any tips that you may have,or routes that you have taken etc.

I really don't know I will probably ride out to vegas(free room and food)and just stop when i want and take pictures along the way,probably ride during the day until sundown and avoid night riding cause of not knowing area roads. I just want out of cbus and not have any worries.

Leaving cbus and heading west for a week to 10 days I would like any tips that you may have

try to travel as light as possible. i never take more than a two days worth of clothes. then, every third day or so, i go to laundry mat. or sometimes, i buy new clothes and then send dirty laundry home per US Mail.

try to travel as light as possible. i never take more than a two days worth of clothes. then, every third day or so, i go to laundry mat. or sometimes, i buy new clothes and then send dirty laundry home per US Mail.

Hahaha. I'm doing a trip to Colorado/Utah this year. I thought about FedEx'ing clothes to different hotels I'll be staying at and sending the dirty ones back.

:plus1:

Packing throw away clothes will make your trip easier as well, that way you can wear them and toss them instead of repacking or shipping home. When you run out of shirts, underwear, and or jeans, just purchase more for the return trip.

If you don't have any towing or emergency stuff lined up, get the AMA or AAA with RV coverage before you go....worth it if shit goes wrong!!!

Also, make sure you have something to patch a tire & air it up....probably the most likely thing to sideline you. Know your tools, do some maintenance with what you'll be carrying.....figuring it out on the side of the road sucks. An LED headlamp is worth its weight in gold.

Zipties & a pair of vice grips...if you bring nothing else, these are fucking life-savers!! Duct tape too.

Keep hydrated!!! can't stress that enough. Buy a camelbak or a cheap knock-off...you can attach it to the tank if you don't like having a backpack.

If you don't have an over-the-gear rainsuit buy one....VASTLY superior and easier than relying on your gear to keep you dry. Frogg Toggs are great.

Don't wear cotton...wicking synthetics are superior in every way, stay cleaner longer, dry out faster, keep you cool & warm better, under-armor (or the cheaper alternatives) are the shiznit. Bring two pairs of everything, wash what you're not wearing when you stop at a hotel, hang to dry (they dry out fast), you're good to go with minimal clothes.

Buy a pair of bicycle shorts....they're seamless (less to rub), double-as underwear, have padding for your tailbone and junk, and are synthetic and won't sweat you. Use talcum on the twins, each day....pack an extra pair of these and do the recycle-trick from above.

There's really no reason to ship clothes and all that shit...it's not hard if you buy the right stuff and it's really no more expensive than regular stuff....Walmart has a very decent knock-off UA stuff made by Starter.

Oh, and buy some flushable wipes....they're the handiest thing in the world for a guy on a bike. You can clean a shield with them, clean your hands, wipe your butt, take a "sort of" shower, you name it. They pack light, and come in very handy.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something....anyway check out IBA's website & forum....tons of great advice there.

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

Edited by swingset