Buell XB12R Any good?

J_Copeland

Wow! 1 comment about getting off the keyboard and actually riding and the peanut gallery is silent. Too easy.

J_Cope

In all seriousness. If you're into carving corners and hyper legal speeds, XBs are very hard to beat. It won't have the top end of your 675, but it has a big fat torque curve that puts lots of useable power to the pavement. Other things like the lash free driveline and ZTL have advantages that you have to be in the saddle to appreciate.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! 1 comment about getting off the keyboard and actually riding and the peanut gallery is silent. Too easy.

J_Cope

In all seriousness. If you're into carving corners and hyper legal speeds, XBs are very hard to beat. It won't have the top end of your 675, but it has a big fat torque curve that puts lots of useable power to the pavement. Other things like the lash free driveline and ZTL have advantages that you have to be in the saddle to appreciate.

where are you, cleveland? thats much too much riding just to spank a buell

Ha, I only post at work. They finally let me go home. I'm not going to lie, you'll probably leave me in the twisties. Of course going fast on the street is just as much about rider bravery and knowledge of the road. Almost never the limits of the bike.

It's getting so militant in here, I feel like I took your mother out to a nice seafood dinner and never called her again. :rolleyes:

Edited by V4junkie

It's hard to ride a spec sheet.

Lets hit the twisties...when you catch up (I'll be the guy with his helmet off who is checking his watch wondering where you are) you can tell me how inferior my Buell is and talk samck about the rubber band drive.

steels corners road. 929, xb9r and r6. guess which bike ran out of steam going up the road from akron penninsula rd. I'll give you one guess. I always liked the Buells until I saw that.

I drive a 1000cc aprilia every day and my friend that I ride with at least twice week owns a xb12r. The buell has a couple of good points in my opinion. Belt drive is awesome and torque is cool. Thats about it in my opinion. My bike smokes the buell in a drag race, and it smokes the buell in the corners because it is not very confidence inspiring to the driver. Any 600cc inline four made within the last ten years is also faster in a drag race. My wife's sv650 is just as fast in a drag. The front brake just plain sucks when compared to a good set of brembos of even my wife's sv650 with braided lines and aftermarket pads. The trans is made by Harley Davidson and feels like it came straight off of a tractor. It only has a 110 mile range before the gas light comes on. The bike will roast you legs on a hot day. Everything vibrates like crazy. I mean ridiculous amounts of vibration. It will walk itself down the street when idling. If you talked to my friend about his bike he would say don't buy one.

I really wanted to like the buell. It just isn't very good. Harley motors are not made for going fast. They are great for cruising around and making cool noise.

steels corners road. 929, xb9r and r6. guess which bike ran out of steam going up the road from akron penninsula rd. I'll give you one guess. I always liked the Buells until I saw that.

A Buell with a Jardine pipe & and an ECM that isn't mapped for it. Not suprising.

An SV is not as fast as an XB9 or XB12. Even so, straight line speed isn't the XB's strength. If your buddy can't corner an XB, that says more about him than the bike.

A Buell with a Jardine pipe & and an ECM that isn't mapped for it. Not suprising.

An SV is not as fast as an XB9 or XB12. Even so, straight line speed isn't the XB's strength. If your buddy can't corner an XB, that says more about him than the bike.

I'm not ripping on Pauly's riding, I'm ripping on the XB. That said, if they put the rotax engine in an XB, I'd consider owning one.

I have raced him on the sv several times. We are head to head until about 80 where the xb pulls ahead until it hits the rev limiter at 135ish and the sv will slowly make up ground until it tops out a little over 140. I wiegh 220 with gear on the sv he wieghs 160 with gear on the xb. Both bikes have exhaust and the buell has a tune. I'm not trying to bash the buell. I do think that despite it's deficiencies it's still a pretty cool ride. I would never recomend anyone buying one without a vigorous test drive to see if they like the way the bike drives. I thought the spec sheet for the xb12r didn't really translate into how the bike drove. You just have to drive it.

F&S Harley Davidson here in Dayton will let anyone with an endorsement take one of their bikes for a spin. They let me drive an 1125cr. Thats a pretty sweet bike. I still didn't like the front brake though.

I'm not all about straight line speed and neither is the buell owner but his xb12r won't even pull the front end up without dipping the throttle and flooring it at the right rpm. I just expect alot more from 1200cc's and I really don't like how the buell behaves with mid-corner corrections. If I had to touch the brakes at all the bike really wanted to stand up. Anyway to each his own. The closest dealer for my bike is three hours away! :eek:

F&S Harley Davidson here in Dayton will let anyone with an endorsement take one of their bikes for a spin. They let me drive an 1125cr. Thats a pretty sweet bike. I still didn't like the front brake though.

I'm not all about straight line speed and neither is the buell owner but his xb12r won't even pull the front end up without dipping the throttle and flooring it at the right rpm. I just expect alot more from 1200cc's and I really don't like how the buell behaves with mid-corner corrections. If I had to touch the brakes at all the bike really wanted to stand up. Anyway to each his own. The closest dealer for my bike is three hours away! :eek:

What dealer? I'm curious. I've only heard of TTM in Detroit here. So I just get most of my stuff off AF1.

Sorry for the thread hijack, just curious.

I have the xb12 and it has more than enough power. its not ment for drag racing at all trying to get a bike at short in wheel base to take off is not easy lol. As for gas mileage I have not yet got under 50 miles per gal. it allways goes 150 miles before the light comes on and I have yet to do a all freeway run. The bike is so easy to go long distance its not even funny. Did a 260 mile day and could have gone alot longer. Dont slam the bike for stuff its not designed to do. Not everything is a track bike thank god.

I have raced him on the sv several times. We are head to head until about 80 where the xb pulls ahead until it hits the rev limiter at 135ish and the sv will slowly make up ground until it tops out a little over 140. I wiegh 220 with gear on the sv he wieghs 160 with gear on the xb. Both bikes have exhaust and the buell has a tune. I'm not trying to bash the buell. I do think that despite it's deficiencies it's still a pretty cool ride. I would never recomend anyone buying one without a vigorous test drive to see if they like the way the bike drives. I thought the spec sheet for the xb12r didn't really translate into how the bike drove. You just have to drive it.

Sorry RJ your story is not believable. A SV runs in the 12's in the 1/4 and a XB runs in the 11's. Top speed of a SV is around 125 the XB 135. Please do a little research before you come with these wild claims. The Buells are what they are, don't like em, don't by one.

Sorry RJ your story is not believable. A SV runs in the 12's in the 1/4 and a XB runs in the 11's. Top speed of a SV is around 125 the XB 135. Please do a little research before you come with these wild claims. The Buells are what they are, don't like em, don't by one.

sv650

11.82 sec http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_SV650S

xb12r

High elevens http://www.sporttwin.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=8502.html

Don't believe me if you want. Ignorance is bliss. I'm really not trying to bash the xb. I looked at buying one instead of my Aprilia. Just my honest opinion about the bike. If your in the area I'll go for a ride with you on the sv.

Edited by rjburner

What dealer? I'm curious. I've only heard of TTM in Detroit here. So I just get most of my stuff off AF1.

Sorry for the thread hijack, just curious.

Honda East in Toledo. They know about as much about Aprilia's as someone cooking you fries at Burger King. Last time I was there and asked about an Ape they didn't even know the difference between the models they had in the showroom.I get most of my stuff from AF1 also.

sv650

11.82 sec http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_SV650S

xb12r

High elevens http://www.sporttwin.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=8502.html

Don't believe me if you want. Ignorance is bliss. I'm really not trying to bash the xb. I looked at buying one instead of my Aprilia. Just my honest opinion about the bike. If your in the area I'll go for a ride with you on the sv.

Really, you are using wikipedia as your reference? So tell me how does a SV650 overcome a 30hp and about 40ftlbs disadvantage on top of you weighing 60lbs more? You are right about one thing "Ignorance is Bliss"