CPU question

krzwhtman

i know alot about computers , but no programmer , i use kaspersky labs anti virus / firewall . the wife and my mother used cpu a few months ago and got a virus. prior to me using kaspersky , i used it to get rid of the virus ( i usually keep the comp pretty secure , they are safe net idiots).

Lately when i run a scan i get a disk skip sound from the drive , sorta like when a HD is going bad.happens once of twice in a scan, i was wondering if anyone knew of a good free utility to check bios. or to make sure kaspersky labs is not missing anything , i have checked with hijack this , spy bot , ad aware and a few others . nothing is coming up . but i am pretty sure something is not rightr.

Not aware of too many freebie BIOS check tools. Though td is on if it sounds like a physical issue with the HDD, then it's likely that its just shitting the bed. But if you think you have a BIOS issue, I would pull the battery and let it sit to clear the BIOS, then relaunch. That will tell you if the BIOS is having issues, should it come back up normally or not. How old is the HD? Contrary to popular belief, they have a shelf life.

sounds like the hd is going bad if its making a skipping noise. a virus wouldnt make your hd skipp and growl

Kinda what I was gonna say. You might want to start backing up your stuff now and prepare for it, wish I could have prepared for some of my harddrive failures :o.

Harddrives are pretty inexpensive, you can get a good deal on oem replacements at MicroCenter.

i have replaced hard drives in past , this one is not old at all , and not giving signs of death , not fragging , no errors , no slow boots , etc and its water cooled , with the cpu cooler , smoked to many in past..... usually a failing hard drive skips at more intervals than just a Virus Scan. but i have a 2nd HD , i use to just to back up every so often.

imo it has to be in the code , it skips a certain part of the disk , and also will not let fix - it defrag. can only use conventional windows defrag. maybe it is the drive, but its only a few months old , with wery low useage. 30 gig of used space and i never keep extra crap taking up un needed space.. i would chuck a new one in , just hate the reloads..... i use xp hate vista , and have reformatted enough to know windows will want me to call once again.

I had a HD die on me 6 weeks into a new laptop delivery to me here at work. So age might not be an issue here. If it's skipping and you are into the OS, then you're out of the BIOS. The OS would be the culprit. Sounds like addressing errors. Any BSODs? We have had some serious bouts with malware here at work, enough to have to reimage multiple machines because the damage done was not recoverable. And the only thing we could find that detected a lot of it was the free download tool from malwarebytes.org. Spybot even missed some. And still, after running the tool we found the issue recurring. I hate to tell you, but I would guess a format is in your future.

It sounds strange but it could just be Kaspersky reading the hdd, not it actually going bad, awhile back when I still used my original xbox i had to ftp games to it, when i would do that my hdd would make a high pitched squeal but only if i used flashfxp and only when i was ftping to my xbox. if the hdd starts making more noise than i would move to back it up.