Dead Starter

EvilTwin

Is the control circuit the low voltage side of the solenoid? Sounds like it. Kinda odd that the solenoid would click, if there was a problem on that side. And kinda odd that was bad enough to keep the bike from starting. Either your meter bridged over the bad wiring, or the bad wiring moved while working on it. Best guess. A short in the wiring on that side, might be enough to keep it from starting? But enough gets through to let the solenoid actuate? This can't be this complicated...

I was testing voltages throughout the whole circuit that involves the starter, low and high voltage side, to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be. None of the wiring appeared or felt like it was loose, none of the wires were damaged, everything felt solid. It's almost like the voltage had to build up before there was enough to push through the solenoid; though I don't think that is how electrical works...

I was testing voltages throughout the whole circuit that involves the starter, low and high voltage side, to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be. None of the wiring appeared or felt like it was loose, none of the wires were damaged, everything felt solid. It's almost like the voltage had to build up before there was enough to push through the solenoid; though I don't think that is how electrical works...

A starter solenoid has a winding that, when enough current is passed through in the appropriate direction, shoves a plunger and makes contact between two plates. The contact allows current to flow through the starter.

if the winding is damaged - it will not start.

if the contacts are damaged - it will not start.

if there is not enough current to hold the plunger engaged - it will not start. (that's why you hear rapid clicking when you have a weak battery).

And rebuilt starters work just as well as new, barring any heat-related damage to the coils.

Edited by Kahooli

A starter solenoid has a winding that, when enough current is passed through in the appropriate direction, shoves a plunger and makes contact between two plates. The contact allows current to flow through the starter.

if the winding is damaged - it will not start.

if the contacts are damaged - it will not start.

if there is not enough current to hold the plunger engaged - it will not start. (thats why you hear rapid clicking when you have a weak battery).

Not rapid clicking, just a click when I press the starter button down, and a click when it is released.

"It's almost like the voltage had to build up"

Using poor terminology-

I was just explaining how a solenoid works, and that there is no collection of charge required (no significant capacitive properties).

Likely one of the windings in your starter, or a brush, is bad and that 8 seconds of dead time was just the time it took before it arced across and started to spin.

"It's almost like the voltage had to build up"

Using poor terminology-

I was just explaining how a solenoid works, and that there is no collection of charge required (no significant capacitive properties).

Likely one of the windings in your starter, or a brush, is bad and that 8 seconds of dead time was just the time it took before it arced across and started to spin.

Good point. Indeed, it could be a reluctant starter. As long as the solenoid is "clicking", and good amps and volts are making it to the starter connection from the battery.

These all use the same part for R-H switch assy (p/n 46091-1663)

1996-1999 EX250 Ninja 250R

1994-1997 EX500 Ninja 500

1995-1998 ZG1000 Concours

1996-1997 ZX1100 Ninja ZX-11

1995-1997 ZX1100 GPZ 1100

1997 ZX600-C10 Ninja 600R

1993-1997 ZX600 Ninja ZX-6

1995-1997 ZX600 Ninja ZX-6R

These all use the same part for R-H switch assy (p/n 46091-1663)

1996-1999 EX250 Ninja 250R

1994-1997 EX500 Ninja 500

1995-1998 ZG1000 Concours

1996-1997 ZX1100 Ninja ZX-11

1995-1997 ZX1100 GPZ 1100

1997 ZX600-C10 Ninja 600R

1993-1997 ZX600 Ninja ZX-6

1995-1997 ZX600 Ninja ZX-6R

Wow, thanks for the list, I'll expand my search on ebay.

Oh, and I took my switch apart, nothing was working, not even the clicking noise I used to hear, put it back together and it works again... I have no F-ing clue as to what exactly is going on.

back to starters.....buying a used one off ebay that is "IN GREAT WORKING CONDITION" is way cheaper than a new one and getting one rebuilt....I had a bike starter rebuilt it cost $110 cuz the parts were rare or something gay like that.