Sprockets...

justin0469

So I've been debating whether this will be my last season with the 600RR and move up to a 08-09 1000RR. I like the manuverability of the 600 but could appreciate a little better acceleration and power (and update in styling, though I can't understand why they lost the undertail exhaust :( ). Everyone tells me moving up to 1000RR you lose alot of the manuverability, and I'd hate that, so I'm wondering if I do the usual -1/+2 if that's gonna give me the low end power I'd like to have without losing the manuverability. I don't want a wheelie machine, I prefer to keep 2 on the ground. Feel free to comment on my newb-ness or your experience with 600cc vs 1000cc or changing sprockets.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAt? Forget about anything that deals with manueverability, because it's not an issue. I don't know who told you any of that, but don't resort to them for any information again.

Go -1/+2 and it will be a world of difference. Or buy that liter bike you want. Whichever.

I'd say all in all it's a $200 dollar question...

My suggestion, try it. Change sprockets ride it and see how it feels. If you don't like it pop your 1000RR cherry. A couple hundred compared to a few thousand, it doesn't sound like money is entirely an issue...

My .02

i got the driven sprockets with the holes drilled out after the powdercoating from motomummy.com..looks killar and so far no problems, but again i only have maybe a few hundred miles on them. i went with the ek gold chain also from mummy. looks really nice but not as shiny as the gold did chain. i think jar has the gold chain 520 conversion. not for sure what brand of sprockets he went with.

I did the Sprocket mod on my 07 600 RR and it is a night and day differance just remember it will throw off your speedometer and u will need a speedohealer If i remember correstly the 05 sprocket tooth count is differant than the 07 i think u already have 1 less on the front hope that helps .....Yes the liter bike is sweet too next yeart i will be moving up to one

Both my bike and SchmuckGirls 600 are -1/+2. Youll loose top speed and the revs are higher at cruising speeds but you gain partial throttle pick up and "faster revs" ( essentially its easier for the motor to turn the rear wheel yada yada). Also your bike will dyno slightly less but pickup acceleration, basically you have less peak HP due to parasitic loss but you get through your power band quicker.

As far as the 1000 Vs 600 I will say that the 1000rr and the 600rr handle completely different but as compared to other 1000cc bikes the 1krr is as close to what you have now as your going to get. I could go into detail but it all comes down to power delivery and how its used.

Both my bike and SchmuckGirls 600 are -1/+2. Youll loose top speed and the revs are higher at cruising speeds but you gain partial throttle pick up and "faster revs" ( essentially its easier for the motor to turn the rear wheel yada yada). Also your bike will dyno slightly less but pickup acceleration, basically you have less peak HP due to parasitic loss but you get through your power band quicker.

As far as the 1000 Vs 600 I will say that the 1000rr and the 600rr handle completely different but as compared to other 1000cc bikes the 1krr is as close to what you have now as your going to get. I could go into detail but it all comes down to power delivery and how its used.

i mean i know you lose top end, but i'm not all that concerned about that and i get it will rev higher because the front sprocket will be smaller and the back one will be larger so its easier to turn the wheel. im more wondering if it will keep me happy with a 600.

btw, i think thats the longest post ive ever seen you put up haha

justin . if you wanna do this me and moose can help with the install. I have a good amount of tools and have done this a couple of times. so its not biggie.

thanks. i have the tools (except a link press) and im not worried about it being hard but you guys are more than welcome to come over and help just to hang

there arent very many but maybe a couple that can use what a 600 has.

why spend the 12g or 13g whatever they cost, when u arent ever gonna use all the power??? if u drag i understand but for anything else i dont see the point in it. @ 23 ur insurance will be stupid on a 1000 and this is ur 2nd bike, and just got the 600 earlier this year if memory serves me correctly. u really think ur ready for a 1000??? just be honest with urself man.

not trying to flame just IMO.

The rider determines how well a bike manuevers on a sportbike, whether it be a 6 or 1k.

thats the truth, i know of some guys that can run circles around a 1000 on a 600. but i know guys on a 1000 that can run circles around 600's, but also know pently of guys that cant ride either for shit! haha

thats the truth, i know of some guys that can run circles around a 1000 on a 600. but i know guys on a 1000 that can run circles around 600's, but also know pently of guys that cant ride either for shit! haha

i know of one particular guy who can run circles around 600's and 1000's and he's on a 14 :rolleyes: big motha trucker too...

there are also a lot of people who say vortex sprockets wear faster than the others, but i have not noticed anything on that just yet. i do keep an eye on my sprockets, i would like to try afam next time around just to try somethiing different.

i know of one particular guy who can run circles around 600's and 1000's and he's on a 14 :rolleyes: big motha trucker too...

I don't know what you're meaning by this Nate with the rolleyes. It all determines who is riding the bike, but an exceptional rider riding a 6,1k,or 14, should prevail on the 6 and 1k. If a 14 is on their tail, it's because the 6 or 1k rider just isn't pushing the envelope enough or is lacking the ability.