Knowing when to shift... without a tach

Likwid

So I've gotten answers from friends of "you'll know" or "when the bike is about to explode... shift about 2 seconds earlier" so that's not very helpful...

I HAVE been shifting VERY early... like into 4th gear at 35 mph... I just thought the less noise the engine makes (or the less it sounds like it's trying) the better.

I have since found out that's called "lugging" your motor(?)... and it's a bad thing since the VTwin is a "high revving" engine... so here's the question:

Given the following information, when do I know it's time to shift? (keep in mind no tach), Tips, tricks, or personal experience welcome!!

2004 Vulcan 800

Engine Type V Twin Cylinders 2 Engine Stroke 4-Stroke Cooling Liquid Valves 8 Valves Per Cylinder 4 Valve Configuration SOHC Compression Ratio 9.5:1

Max RPM is 7k.

According to a website I looked at (all internets is true) the ideal RPM for my bike is around 2500 to 3500. Using gearingcommander.com I find that using 2500-3500 as the ideal RPM I should be shift around the following speeds... but it sounds like the bike is whining when I do this.... and if I let off the throttle the bike lurches... so I have to keep on the throttle

1-2 : 15-20

2-3 : 30-35

3-4 : ~50

4-5 : ~65+

5th : Should take me to 116

the longer you ride her the better you will know , but for exact Official shift timing check the manual . but its up to how you and her feel i guess, when just cruising i'm in 6th at 45 , but can be red lining in 2nd at whatever speed , each bike manufacturer has different recommendations acording to model . i would look at the OM first.

The bike is Japanese, the motor will be fine however you drive it. For fuel economy ride it as low in the rpms as you want. If you really get on it you're fine until you hit the rev limiter, remember that sound and shift earlier next time.

Don't worry about it so much bro.

Wow, good advice here... sounds like the general plan is, do what the websites say.... but any way I ride it I should be fine.

If it says anything about me, I don't think I've hit the rev limiter... even pulling the clutch and hitting it hard I still back off before it does the Vroom *stop* Vroom *stop* Vroom *stop* Vroom that you get when you rev a car too hard in neutral.

I <3 noises

couldnt you always add a tach

Yes, but a) it'd have to be electrical b) that's 70-100 bucks c) I'm not mechanically inclined enough to try.

But ultimately i was hoping to get some advice since I shouldn't need it once I learn, I hear from some friends they loved having a tach at first but now they never see it

can you guys explain what that sounds like one more time

BrrrrraaaaaaaBABABABA Vroooooooom *pop* vrooo *pop* VVVVRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAbabababababa *pop*

In case you can't tell, I haven't rejetted with the new pipes

shift it into a gear that allows you to quickly get out of a situation if it gets dangerous/crowded.

That's some good advice too..... I've found myself in 5th going 35 and then realizing if I needed to accelerate hard I'd have to downshift.... so yah.... gotta remember this.

and it's a bad thing since the VTwin is a "high revving" engine...

:lol: Who told you that? As long as it doesn't make those weird vibrations through the chassis when you are at too low of an rpm you're fine. An no, V-twins don't rev even the Japanese ones.

rev the shit out of every gear and learn where the redline is...shift before that. if you're shifting into 4th gear at like 35 then thats fine if thats the way you like it. on the other hand i shift into 2nd at like 35 just putting around town.

rev the shit out of every gear and learn where the redline is...shift before that. if you're shifting into 4th gear at like 35 then thats fine if thats the way you like it. on the other hand i shift into 2nd at like 35 just putting around town.

Your Gixxer's close ratio gearbox and long gears are gonna be way different than his normal ratio gearbox and shorter gears on that standard Kawi.

Your Gixxer's close ratio gearbox and long gears are gonna be way different than his normal ratio gearbox and shorter gears on that standard Kawi.
i understand that but 35 in 4th gear still seems a little low of a speed to me.

my manual says when im 35+ i should be in 6th.. used to do that while going places but not so much anymore.. although i do think that the lower rpms the lower wear on the engine.. any comments or suggestions?

Edited by drey4211

my manual says when im 35+ i should be in 6th.. used to do that while going places but not so much anymore.. although i do think that the lower rpms the lower wear on the engine.. any comments or suggestions?

lol 6th gear at 40 mph on a new R6 would be less powerful than a vespa :eek:

1-2 : 15-20

2-3 : 30-35

3-4 : ~50

4-5 : ~65+

5th : Should take me to 116

My bike is of a similar style and engine size, and the guidelines above are pretty close to when I shift. I don't have a tach either.

In reality though, I never look at my speedometer to shift. When you drive a manual car, do you always look down at the tach or speedo to know when to shift? Probably not, same principal.

Like others have said, you'll get used to your bike and know from engine noise and performance on when to shift.

4th gear at 35 seems early to me though, I would take it out and not shift until absolutely necessary a few times, that way you can get used to what the engine sounds like, and adjust from there.

My bike is of a similar style and engine size, and the guidelines above are pretty close to when I shift. I don't have a tach either.

In reality though, I never look at my speedometer to shift. When you drive a manual car, do you always look down at the tach or speedo to know when to shift? Probably not, same principal.

Like others have said, you'll get used to your bike and know from engine noise and performance on when to shift.

4th gear at 35 seems early to me though, I would take it out and not shift until absolutely necessary a few times, that way you can get used to what the engine sounds like, and adjust from there.

Again, more great advice. Thanks!