To the police officers on the site

jessecwalters

VMAX - What is FTO?:confused:

FTO = Field Training Officer

Field Training Officer's (FTO's), are responsible for training the police recruit after they have graduated from the police academy.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of off topic but I do have a question.

In all honesty. If you will be so kind. ;)

Do you or your fellow officers frequent internet websites, like this one here, to find route plans to mark and patrol the route and pull over riders you are convinced will be there and speeding?

I know it's the web and a honest answer is doubtful. Anyways what you got?

I can see going to some stunter forums to stalk them. Due to the fact that many of the times they are putting many people in danger by doing stunts in traffic in order to be scene and get attention. But not a forum like this. Call me crazy but I think you all should have better shit to do. Like pull over drunks that go to the same bar everyday and drive home drunk everyday without a care in the world.

:confused:

i think there is enough speeders on the roads to keep them busy...i would highly doubt it...highly doubt your gonna get an honest reply :D

@ousley99 - during my route in Gahanna a few days ago, i was off Agler/Stygler and there was an unmarked Charger with lights flashing and a guy pulled over by the school over there (forget which one), but it was a plain gray car with the flashers in the headlights/taillights so i'm not sure how anyone thinks they're not allowed. officer was out talking to the guy in the vehicle.

There are alot of unmarked cruisers in ohio. they have to have a marked patrol actually pull you over, and they can join at the scene..

ORC 4549.13 Marking and equipment for motor vehicle used by traffic enforcement officers.

Any motor vehicle used by a member of the state highway patrol or by any other peace officer, while said officer is on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state, provided the offense is punishable as a misdemeanor, shall be marked in some distinctive manner or color and shall be equipped with, but need not necessarily have in operation at all times, at least one flashing, oscillating, or rotating colored light mounted outside on top of the vehicle. The superintendent of the state highway patrol shall specify what constitutes such a distinctive marking or color for the state highway patrol.

I would never pull over for an unmarked car. Ever.

If I really felt as if I did something wrong I would ride/drive to the nearest police station to verify who is trying to pull me over.

Anybody can install red and blue strobes on a car........

There are several unmarked cars in Conneaut they just recently got them. But they are still crown vics and are white and I think there's one gray one even though they are "unmarked" they stand out

There are alot of unmarked cruisers in ohio. they have to have a marked patrol actually pull you over, and they can join at the scene..

ORC 4549.13 Marking and equipment for motor vehicle used by traffic enforcement officers.

Any motor vehicle used by a member of the state highway patrol or by any other peace officer, while said officer is on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state, provided the offense is punishable as a misdemeanor, shall be marked in some distinctive manner or color and shall be equipped with, but need not necessarily have in operation at all times, at least one flashing, oscillating, or rotating colored light mounted outside on top of the vehicle. The superintendent of the state highway patrol shall specify what constitutes such a distinctive marking or color for the state highway patrol.

ousley99 your not reading the ORC right... exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws.... Our Detectives have unmarked Ford Expeditions and Tahoes and they stop cars all day long without us helping. And if your still looking for the parking light law it doesen't exist... Just like us its probably just a policy that your department has.

If I really felt as if I did something wrong I would ride/drive to the nearest police station to verify who is trying to pull me over.

good point

Just a thought... why are you asking cops these questions? These are lawyer questions.

I'm not saying there aren't some knowledgeable individuals on this site, but the majority of police encounters I've had - the cops themselves were completely unaware of the laws, and book you anyway on some charge they could pin on anyone at any given time just so they wouldn't look stupid. This especially happens with open carry, not to me, but I've heard and read a lot.

I'm absolutely with you, and that has happened to us before. Again I can only speak for my experiences, but when that has happened in our city the Detective will turn off his emergency lights and call a marked patrol unit to make the stop with him.

My first speeding ticket was from a Lancaster OSHP unmarked cruiser. And he nearly pushed the back of my car to get it. Turned out he was in my Father's naval aviation squadron, and recognized the car. Yeah, he got in a lot of trouble, in so many ways. My Father figured it out rather quickly.

VMAX - What is FTO?:confused:

Hey Nick.

An FTO is a Field Training Officer. We take additional Training in order to complete the training of basic recruits from the police academy. I have taught many new officers in my time. I am currently the Patrol Division Supervisor (Senior Sergeant) at my PD. I am also trained in QRST (Quick Response Special Tactics, which you could equate to SWAT or SRT)

While I agree that it's not "fair" to not use lights. I don't advertise myself to burglars when they are breaking into your house, or robbers who are holding up the local stop and rob until I'm ready to bust them either.....isn't that unfair to the bad guy who's breaking the law too?

Bottom line: Don't speed if you don't want a ticket. Speed anyway, don't bitch if you get one. The cop didn't make your tach go up....you did.

I'm absolutely with you, and that has happened to us before. Again I can only speak for my experiences, but when that has happened in our city the Detective will turn off his emergency lights and call a marked patrol unit to make the stop with him.

then they get you for fleeing or evading :D

+1 I absolutely agree 100%. I would not stop. I would do the same as you said and drive to a police station or call the police and request a marked car be sent to your location.

As a matter of fact I had a detective try to pull me over once on I-90 in Avon, I had a bit of road rage with the guy, not realizing he was a cop, he flashed a badge at me and tried to get me to stop, I didn't.

Hey Nick.

An FTO is a Field Training Officer. We take additional Training in order to complete the training of basic recruits from the police academy. I have taught many new officers in my time. I am currently the Patrol Division Supervisor (Senior Sergeant) at my PD. I am also trained in QRST (Quick Response Special Tactics, which you could equate to SWAT or SRT)

While I agree that it's not "fair" to not use lights. I don't advertise myself to burglars when they are breaking into your house, or robbers who are holding up the local stop and rob until I'm ready to bust them either.....isn't that unfair to the bad guy who's breaking the law too?

Bottom line: Don't speed if you don't want a ticket. Speed anyway, don't bitch if you get one. The cop didn't make your tach go up....you did.

pretty funny and good honest points :D

The problem with this law is that I don't know any department's other than OSP who have cruisers dedicated to ONLY enforcing traffic laws. Our cruisers are on duty for various functions. Traffic enforcement being only one of them.

So if you didnt stop for an unmarked car, would you get a fleeing and evading? because thats a felony isnt it? i thought i heard it was?

Its an M1 for us. I don't think any judge in the world would uphold a fleeing and eluding charge based on an unmarked car stop. Easy defense: I didn't think it was a real police car and I didn't stop in fear of being butt raped.