To the police officers on the site

jessecwalters

Okay I thought about the above post and thats really mean. What I should have said is:

Your post comes off with the "I'll give you a ticket because I can" mentality. That type of things is what we're all complaining about. The ticket has nothing to do with being safe or protecting us and those around us.

No, if you read my other posts, you'd see that I normally give warnings to fellow bikers. I was responding in kind to the attitude of Shitty. That was in my post as well. Yes, peeing in my cheerios was a little harsh. I try to give honest answers to questions, then get flak for just being a cop. I have a great attitude when on duty and give far more warnings for stupidity than giving tickets for it. If you get a ticket from me....you talked yourself into it.

I can't speak for all cops, but for any that I have trained the first rule that I give them is this:

"Be nice until there is a time not to be nice. When that time comes do your duty"

You'd never see me giving a ticket for doing the red light thing at 3 am unless I had other PC on you as well. 3 AM just happens to be the witching hour when drunks are on the road. If you stop at the light and wait, then proceed with caution, I won't hassle you. If you blow the light without even braking, you're getting stopped to check for DUI.

The problem with internet forums is that tone of voice and facial expression don't come through. Only the words. I do not have the "You'll get a ticket because I can give you one" attitude. I prefer to give people learning experience rather than punishment. But if you show attitude to me on the stop because you don't like cops or get crappy with me because you don't think the law is fair....you can speak with the judge about it instead. He may be inclined to let you go. At that point, I'm not.

Again, bottom line: If you don't want to deal with cops, don't violate the law. You'll never meet me in a cruiser if you follow the law, whether you think it a valid law or not, the voters thought so and passed it.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monies from citations go into general funds, not into departmental funds. So, error on your part.

As for lights on or off, there is NO Ohio Revised Code and NO Municipal Ordinace that says you have to have any lights on when running stationary radar. There may be a departmental policy that dicatates that, but no laws are in place, currenlty, for that. :rulez:

We all have jobs to do. Part, and I mean just a small part of my job, is traffic enforcement. The rest is the fun part. :D

I think Shitty pointed out the ORC for lights on a vehicle when parked on or adjacent to the road...

All in all you would still have to have a great lawyer to interpret the law for a traffic violation to get out of it..

Rule #1 Leo wins

Rule #2 Refer to rule number 1

Great debate guys... For real

Never once did I want to bash on cops.. just having fun debating over law and regulations... I did have many law classes in school and was an MP so i love a good argument!

At least you checked into the law. You're mistaken, but it showed initiative. According to state law, emergency vehicles fall under a different definition than "Motor vehicles" and are exempt from most traffic laws.

You are right there are lots of exceptions for emergency vehicles those exceptions usually only apply when they are responding to an emergency call and have their lights on I did bold one line in the following ORC and it is a pretty standard disclaimer.

Since you by your own admission pull off of the pavement, out of what could be the path of a vehicle in distress that may have to exit the road quickly you are doing nothing wrong. You are not putting anyones safety at risk and I applaud that.

The cops on the shoulder of the highway with their lights off and engines running have some BIG HUGE NUTZ that is scary, it would have to suck to get a blow out and to pull off to the side quickly only to smash into a police cruiser and kill a cop.

4511.041 Exceptions to traffic rules for emergency or public safety vehicle responding to emergency call.

Sections 4511.12, 4511.13, 4511.131, 4511.132, 4511.14, 4511.15, 4511.202, 4511.21, 4511.211, 4511.22, 4511.23, 4511.25, 4511.26, 4511.27, 4511.28, 4511.29, 4511.30, 4511.31, 4511.32, 4511.33, 4511.34, 4511.35, 4511.36, 4511.37, 4511.38, 4511.39, 4511.40, 4511.41, 4511.42, 4511.43, 4511.431, 4511.432, 4511.44, 4511.441, 4511.57, 4511.58, 4511.59, 4511.60, 4511.61, 4511.62, 4511.66, 4511.68, 4511.681, and 4511.69 of the Revised Code do not apply to the driver of an emergency vehicle or public safety vehicle if the emergency vehicle or public safety vehicle is responding to an emergency call, is equipped with and displaying at least one flashing, rotating, or oscillating light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet to the front of the vehicle and if the driver of the vehicle is giving an audible signal by siren, exhaust whistle, or bell. This section does not relieve the driver of an emergency vehicle or public safety vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and property upon the highway.

Effective Date: 05-20-1993

quoted for effect

You had it right the 1st time. His sig reeks of douchebaggerie. :rolleyes:
Love you too Max.

Its true bubby. You only post when its something to do with cops. Then its, "hey guys, I'm a cop. did you know I'm a cop? Im a cop guys, Im a cop."

Who fuckin cares. The other cops on the forum dont brag about it in their sigs. Most of them post often and you wouldnt even know they are cops. Do you see anybody else posting their job title in their sig?

I will give you credit though, at least you toned it down some, when you first joined, the sig was garish with the HUGE flashing lights.

quoted for effect

Justin thanks for chiming in. You can actually read the "Driving" part there that you highlighted. It's in reference to going through red lights. That's where the Due Regard comes in. Emergency vehicles can go through red lights with Due Regard. That means, lights, sirens, and slowing down or stopping to make sure other drivers see you. Has nothing to do with sitting off the side of the road with your lights off to catch a speeder.

I think Shitty pointed out the ORC for lights on a vehicle when parked on or adjacent to the road...

All in all you would still have to have a great lawyer to interpret the law for a traffic violation to get out of it..

Rule #1 Leo wins

Rule #2 Refer to rule number 1

you can not interpret what is not there.

Justin thanks for chiming in. You can actually read the "Driving" part there that you highlighted. It's in reference to going through red lights. That's where the Due Regard comes in. Emergency vehicles can go through red lights with Due Regard. That means, lights, sirens, and slowing down or stopping to make sure other drivers see you. Has nothing to do with sitting off the side of the road with your lights off to catch a speeder.
4511.041 Exceptions to traffic rules for emergency or public safety vehicle responding to emergency call.

Sections 4511.12, 4511.13, 4511.131, 4511.132, 4511.14, 4511.15, 4511.202, 4511.21, 4511.211, 4511.22, 4511.23, 4511.25, 4511.26, 4511.27, 4511.28, 4511.29, 4511.30, 4511.31, 4511.32, 4511.33, 4511.34, 4511.35, 4511.36, 4511.37, 4511.38, 4511.39, 4511.40, 4511.41, 4511.42, 4511.43, 4511.431, 4511.432, 4511.44, 4511.441, 4511.57, 4511.58, 4511.59, 4511.60, 4511.61, 4511.62, 4511.66, 4511.68, 4511.681, and 4511.69 of the Revised Code do not apply to the driver of an emergency vehicle or public safety vehicle if the emergency vehicle or public safety vehicle is responding to an emergency call, is equipped with and displaying at least one flashing, rotating, or oscillating light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet to the front of the vehicle and if the driver of the vehicle is giving an audible signal by siren, exhaust whistle, or bell. This section does not relieve the driver of an emergency vehicle or public safety vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and property upon the highway.

Made it easy since you seem to like skimming things quickly :p

Hey Max. Are you proud of your job?

I am proud of the fact that I pin on a badge and don a uniform to go out an protect the citizens from the anarchy that would rule if cops weren't there.

I trained hard to do this job. I train even harder to stay in this job.

I don't really care if others on the board are proud of their badges or not. If they want to hide in the shadows, so be it.

No, I don't see others pointing to their jobs in their sigs. The sig was meant to be funny. To show that I have a sense of humor. If it offends you, sorry.

I chime in on cop related threads when people ask questions. If I know the answer, I do. Then get nailed to a cross for it.

Well piss on it. I'd figure most of the people on here......being sport bikers.....would want to have a friend who is a cop who could be a sounding board for issue that came up. Well, I was wrong. Forget it. Take your chances.

Since you by your own admission pull off of the pavement, out of what could be the path of a vehicle in distress that may have to exit the road quickly you are doing nothing wrong. You are not putting anyones safety at risk and I applaud that.

The cops on the shoulder of the highway with their lights off and engines running have some BIG HUGE NUTZ that is scary, it would have to suck to get a blow out and to pull off to the side quickly only to smash into a police cruiser and kill a cop.

The part that was bolded just says "This section does not relieve the driver of an emergency vehicle or public safety vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and property upon the highway." Now, to me that just says "This section does not relieve the driver of an emergency vehicle or public safety vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and property upon the highway." Purposely general and I don't see anything specific to red lights. I mean, if wrong, I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

Lets break it down:

1 - either they need to get there fast

2 - they can drive the speed limit like everyone else

a - lights and siren

b - no lights or siren

So 1a and 2b are acceptable

The whole point of the lights and siren are for safety of those around the cop. He acknowledges he is driving above the "safety" limit, and therefore needs to have his safety lights and siren on to warn others of this wreckless driving.

SO, there should never be a case of 1b or 2a

I agree I'd prefer lights and all when they're driving to a call.

But I know it happens quite often that an Officer somewhere pulls over a vehicle and comm center calls out a sig 30 (warrants). Other cars in the area will start heading that way not always but its always good to have back up getting closer.

As far as going to calls without the lights and sirens, they will to a point but when they get close to a home invasion or dv they're not going to go full go as they get close unless there's life or death emergency. They want to catch the offender.

When they get close they'll turn em off.

You see a lot of the bad behaviors but you have no idea what they're responding/listening too on the radio.

However there are a lot that break the rules. Especially at end of shift.

Made it easy since you seem to like skimming things quickly :p

Again, refer back to my other post. This is in regard to going through RED Fricken Lights!!!! Not sitting on the side of the road running radar. Have you EVER seen a cop sitting on the side of the road with his beacons on running radar? NO. If what you are trying to prove was true, then we'd have to drive around ALL DAY with our overheads on. What kind of havok would that cause?

Not gonna argue it any more because you internet lawyers know so much. Enjoy.

No, if you read my other posts, you'd see that I normally give warnings to fellow bikers. I was responding in kind to the attitude of Shitty. That was in my post as well. Yes, peeing in my cheerios was a little harsh. I try to give honest answers to questions, then get flak for just being a cop. I have a great attitude when on duty and give far more warnings for stupidity than giving tickets for it. If you get a ticket from me....you talked yourself into it.

I can't speak for all cops, but for any that I have trained the first rule that I give them is this:

"Be nice until there is a time not to be nice. When that time comes do your duty"

You'd never see me giving a ticket for doing the red light thing at 3 am unless I had other PC on you as well. 3 AM just happens to be the witching hour when drunks are on the road. If you stop at the light and wait, then proceed with caution, I won't hassle you. If you blow the light without even braking, you're getting stopped to check for DUI.

The problem with internet forums is that tone of voice and facial expression don't come through. Only the words. I do not have the "You'll get a ticket because I can give you one" attitude. I prefer to give people learning experience rather than punishment. But if you show attitude to me on the stop because you don't like cops or get crappy with me because you don't think the law is fair....you can speak with the judge about it instead. He may be inclined to let you go. At that point, I'm not.

Again, bottom line: If you don't want to deal with cops, don't violate the law. You'll never meet me in a cruiser if you follow the law, whether you think it a valid law or not, the voters thought so and passed it.

thats why I decided to reword my cheerio post, because I was honestly laughing when I posted and I remembered you couldn't hear me laughing. It sounds like you're reasonable so you're okay in my book.

Hey Max. Are you proud of your job?

I am proud of the fact that I pin on a badge and don a uniform to go out an protect the citizens from the anarchy that would rule if cops weren't there.

I trained hard to do this job. I train even harder to stay in this job.

I don't really care if others on the board are proud of their badges or not. If they want to hide in the shadows, so be it.

No, I don't see others pointing to their jobs in their sigs. The sig was meant to be funny. To show that I have a sense of humor. If it offends you, sorry.

I chime in on cop related threads when people ask questions. If I know the answer, I do. Then get nailed to a cross for it.

Well piss on it. I'd figure most of the people on here......being sport bikers.....would want to have a friend who is a cop who could be a sounding board for issue that came up. Well, I was wrong. Forget it. Take your chances.

i dont think anyone is just hating on you just to hate on cops. i dont have a problem with cops at all and i dont do stupid dangerous crap. the other cops on here don't hide it. if you ask them, they'll tell you, they just dont feel the need to make a big deal about it.

No.

I thought it could be classified as obstruction of justice or some shit like that. Is that an absolute no or a "no, but it might depend on the cop and judge", whose had a bagel and who didn't get any last night