Rice Paddy parts

Strictly Street

I've dealt with them a few times in the past. They were very friendly and helpful in finding a couple parts for '80 bikes I've worked on. Kinda hard to compare prices on used bike parts, but they seemed resonable. I did get a new voltage regulator for an '85 Goldwing from them cheaper than I could find anywhere. Overall pleased with their service and will shop there again. Not allot of choices when it comes to older bike parts. Bike Bandit (on-line) is also excellent for finding new old parts. Got allot of parts from them for the '84 Interceptor I had.

Moved thread to 'Shop Reviews'

I've dealt with them a few times in the past. They were very friendly and helpful in finding a couple parts for '80 bikes I've worked on. Kinda hard to compare prices on used bike parts, but they seemed resonable. I did get a new voltage regulator for an '85 Goldwing from them cheaper than I could find anywhere. Overall pleased with their service and will shop there again. Not allot of choices when it comes to older bike parts. Bike Bandit (on-line) is also excellent for finding new old parts. Got allot of parts from them for the '84 Interceptor I had.

:plus1:

I won a pair of brake discs on an ebay auction, picked them up at their location. Can't really complain; discs were good, friendly staff, etc. I did have to pay some b.s. fee though, almost as much as shipping. Overall, I would deal with them again.

I never even got a reply from my online parts request, and this is for ninja 250 parts, and my friend called them, and just got an immediate "no" when asking about parts for his Ninja 250. Keep in mind that this same bike was in production from 1989 thru 2007, so even though our bikes are newer, par5ts we were looking for would work off some pretty old bikes. Maybe they just can't keep parts for them, since they are good "starter bikes", and I'm sure they get beaten up.

ive gotten parts from them a handfull of times, with mixed results. sometimes they are really slow to get em. i needed a brake caliper. they didnt have it in columbus, had to get it from their yard in lancaster. took like three weeks :rolleyes: every time the guy went down there he forgot to grab it.... i didnt really care though because it was for a project, not my daily driver. but thems the breaks i guess (or brakes rather :p ) you could go to the other place that has damn near everything for a 30 year old jap bike... oh wait.... there really isnt any other place local that i can think of :)

the other thing, if you go in there needing a part, they dont have anything labeled. its all just in bins. example: i needed a new float bowl once. went in and asked. the guy directed me to a huge box full of float bowls and told me to go to town. nothing was marked at all... you just gotta kind of eyeball it and see if it matches. so if you go there needing a part TAKE THE OLD ONE WITH YOU so you know what you are looking for.

Edited by John

I have had some bad experiences with them. They are rude and over priced. Also, they assume you know nothing and try to feed you bullshit as if they do....

I was looking for ignition parts for an old Suzuki and they were far more trouble than my time was worth. They repeatedly tried to tell me that they needed to test my coils and wanted to charge me for the service.... I am an EET (electrical engineering tech) and had a few million bucks worth of equipment at my disposal and the coils were already tested better than they could imagine, but they continued to insist that I let them use their new little machine (which they didn't even understand how it worked or what it was actually testing....) and pay them for the privilege. The best part was when I told them the results of MY testing and they glazed over as if I had begun speaking an alien tongue. Their reply was that, "well, you can't really tell if the coil is bad from all of that, we have to test it on our special machine." I asked them what their machine was "testing" for, and all they knew was "coils." Nothing about impedance, inductance, etc... just coils, and only our machine knows how...

When I called them on the phone, they sounded incompetent, but insisted they they had my coils and that they were only 20 bucks. (They even made me wait while they checked to be sure they had two on hand) When I arrived they had a different story... they didn't actually HAVE my coils, but they would see if they could match mine up with something else, and they wanted another 20 bucks to test my coils first. Come to find out, they don't know anything about displacing electrons other than it makes the pretty lights come on, and they didn't have ANY ignition parts for my bike. (but for 20 bucks they will test your bad coils, and then tell you all they have are the aftermarket replacements which they sell at another 20 dollar mark up... ) Needless to say I paid them not one red cent and gave them the old "you're number one in my book" hand gesture as I left.

Did I mention that they are really over priced??

I have had several similar experiences with this junkyard, and thus I do not go back.

^ I have heard nothing good about rice paddy. Just ask Blake1221 about his experience.

BTW, use the search feature

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=2510&highlight=rice+paddy

Seems like their advertising is better than their customer service.

I didn't get a very positive vibe from them either, I felt hustled, rushed, pushed to buy something I didn't need or want.

Definitely felt the "We know better than you" attitude.

I don't see what they have that is worth much in their store.

The condition of the parts isn't so good.

Auto junkyards do a better job of inventory and the like.

Course it is a niche market, to be fair.

Older parts are easier to find on ebay, better condition and cheaper too.

Halogen headlight conversion kit RP used, $99, ebay new $24 incl S/H.

The only thing I can see that they do know is know what will fit what.

I'm not really sure what that is worth...

I think you all have answered the question of if I should deal with these guys.

For every customer that complains 10 don't, they just never go back.

ok just my 2 cents. i have been there about 8-10 times the first few times it was a bit intimidating (i had just got into bikes and was like WTF is this place). i have had some bad visits and some good visits. but over all the good have outweighed the bad. they were busy and i had no clue for most of the bad visits so given the store yeah it was my bad. however i have had some serious fun talking bikes with the owner.

i have bought various hard to find parts from them and even a whole parts bike. now for some items as with any store i found them cheaper else where. but when i am looking for a hard to find part i usually give them a visit.

oh and the fact that i love any store where if you are on a cell phone they bump you to the back of the line.

Edited by bigbluebird

^ I have heard nothing good about rice paddy. Just ask Blake1221 about his experience.

BTW, use the search feature

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=2510&highlight=rice+paddy

I ordered a starter for a 1983 honda shadow, they said they could order one and took my credit card number. Price was kinda high but everythings good right? Two days later i get a call from Rice Paddy. The guy tells me that he cannot get the part from his supplier, but if i bring my non-working starter in he will ship it away to god knows where and have some little oldman rebuild it. I told them no thanks i would go else where and to refund my money.

I never took my starter in and found one MUCH cheaper on E-Bay. 3 Months later, i get a phone call. Guess who its from? ........Rice Paddy. The guy tells me that my parts are in. I say i dont remember ordering any parts from you, what do you have? Long story short, i should have checked my credit card statement closer. The douche bags refunded my money MINUS a 20% restocking fee for a part that they told me they could'nt get.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM RICE PADDY!!!!

Look them up on E-bay, many complains and if i remember right there was or is a class action suit against them

BUYER BEWARE!!! :mad: