Not a good way to go... Motorcyclist killed after being hit by deer then run over.

Disclaimer

I was out riding by the lake when this happened (301N), but it's not even 5 miles from my place.. 301S. My girlfriend told me about it when I got back from my little ride. This probably wasn't pleasant for anyone in or working the accident.

RIP dude.

http://tmcnews.blogspot.com/2009/06/biker-killed-on-301-in-carlisle.html

BIKER KILLED ON 301 IN CARLISLE

AFTER A DEER TRIES TO CROSS ROAD

TMCNEWS.NET+003.jpgCarlisle Township – A biker who, according to friends, had just left a group of friends to go get a camera ended up in a strange crash that took his life on LaGrange Road in Carlisle Township Saturday afternoon.

Trooper Crystal Evans of the Ohio State Highway Patrol said the crash occurred just after 2 p.m. Saturday after a deer attempted to cross LaGrange Road. “The deer was crossing west to east and was struck by a red Toyota Prius that was northbound on LaGrange Road. The deer then flew into air and struck the motorcyclist that was southbound on LaGrange – the motorcyclist was ejected from the bike and landed in the northbound lane and was immediately hit by a Ford Explorer driven by 57 year old Tim Kader of LaGrange.”

Evans said that when the motorcyclist was struck the bike continue to slide south into the northbound lane and struck a Dodge Stratus driven by 41 year old Michelle Diaz of Lorain. Diaz, who swerved in an attempt to avoid hitting the motorcycle, was not injured in the crash.

The driver of the Toyota Prius was treated on scene for cuts he received to his arm and was transported by Paramedics to Elyria Memorial Hospital for further treatment and evaluation.

Kader, although visibly shaken, was not injured in the crash. Kader kept repeating; “Just two more minutes and I could have avoided this.”

Kader said he was on his way to Home Depot to pick up peg-board for work he is doing at his home when the crash occurred. “The first I knew anything was wrong is when I saw the deer doing a cartwheel over the car ahead of me. Then when the bike went down he was right there in front of my truck and I just didn’t have time to react – if I had a couple seconds maybe I could have gone into the ditch but I just didn’t – I really wish I did, but I just didn’t.”

The name of the motorcyclist will not be released until the State Patrol officially notifies the next of kin.

Check back later for more details and a complete PHOTO GALLERY

UPDATE: After notifying the family, The State Patrol has released the name of the victim as 52 year old Brian G. Rogers of Elyria. Rogers was riding his 2001 Harley Davidson at the time of the crash.

The driver of the 2007 Toyota Prius was identified as James Cox Jr.

The investigation is ongoing according to the State Patrol.

Edited by JRMMiii

Here's a link from the Chronicle

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2009/06/20/fatal-crash-motorcyclist-knocked-from-bike-by-deer-run-over-by-suv/

FATAL CRASH: Motorcyclist knocked from bike by deer, run over by SUV

CARLISLE TWP. - A motorcyclist was killed this afternoon after being struck by a deer and then run over by another motorist.

The Ohio Highway Patrol has not released the name of the motorcyclist, who was pronounced dead at the scene of the approximately 2:15 p.m. crash.

Trooper Crystal Evans said the motorcyclist was heading south on state Route 301 north of the U.S. Route 20 overpass when the accident occurred.

The deer ran in front of a southbound Toyota Prius, was struck by that vehicle and was thrown at the motorcyclist, striking him and knocking him from the motorcycle. The motorcyclist was thrown into the northbound lane and was run over by a Ford Explorer driven by Tim Kader of Carlisle Township, Evans said.

The motorcycle continued to slide down the road and struck a Dodge Stratus driven by Michelle Diaz of Lorain.

Kader said he saw the deer “cartwheel” through the air and the motorcyclist land in front of him. He said he tried to veer off the road to avoid the motorcyclist, but didn’t have enough time to do so.

The driver of the Prius was taken to the hospital for cuts he sustained after glass from his windshield cut him.

Evans said the identity of the motorcyclist, who was not wearing a helmet, was being withheld until his next of kin could be notified.

The deer ran off after the accident, witnesses said.

For more on this story, see Sunday’s Chronicle-Telegram.

Updated: http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2009/06/21/man-dies-after-deer-knocks-him-off-bike-into-oncoming-traffic/

CARLISLE TWP. - An Elyria man was killed Saturday after he was knocked from his motorcycle by a deer and then run over by an SUV.

Brian Rogers, 52, was pronounced dead at the scene of the 2:15 p.m. crash on state Route 301 north of U.S. Route 20.

The deer that struck Rogers was thrown into his southbound 2001 Harley-Davidson motorcycle after it was hit by a 2007 Toyota Prius driven by 59-year-old James Cox Jr., who was driving north at the time, said Ohio Highway Patrol Trooper Crystal Evans.

After the deer hit him, Rogers was thrown from his motorcycle and run over by a 2001 Ford Explorer driven by Tim Kader, 57, who was northbound.

Kader, of Carlisle Township, said he tried to swerve to avoid hitting Rogers after he saw the deer “cartwheel” through the air.

“He went down right in front of me. He rolled right in front of me,” Kader said. “There was nothing I could do.”

Rogers’ motorcycle continued to slide down the road, striking a 2003 Dodge Stratus driven by Michele Kennedy Diaz, 41, of Lorain, Evans said. None of the drivers involved in the crash has been cited, and the crash remains under investigation.

Deputy Lorain County Coroner Vernon Patterson said Rogers, who was not wearing a helmet, sustained fatal injuries in the accident, including several broken bones.

“Falling off the bike didn’t kill him. He died, more than likely, from being hit by the SUV,” Patterson said. “… He died instantly.”

Cox, of Oberlin, was taken to EMH Regional Medical Center for minor cuts to his arms and hands caused by glass from his windshield, which the deer smashed into when it ran into the road from the west side, Evans said.

Floyd Strader of Vermilion was at a nearby home when the crash occurred. He said the deer got up and ran off behind the homes along the east side of the road.

Rogers, who was a member of Wings of Change, a motorcycle club whose members are recovering alcoholics, was on a poker run with fellow bikers, Patterson said. Rogers was riding alone when the crash occurred, but several of his fellow bikers arrived at the scene moments later.

Rogers was a tugboat operator and was heavily involved with the Deputies, an Elyria-based baton, flag and drum corps, said Linda Jones, the organization’s director. In addition to his daughter, she said Rogers also had a stepson serving in the military overseas.

She said Rogers’ daughter was among the group’s members, and he would walk alongside the girls as they marched, giving them water when they needed it and picking up batons the girls dropped.

Jones said Rogers and his wife, Barb Rogers, renewed their wedding vows in March on the same day the Deputies performed at a Cleveland Cavaliers home game. After the ceremony they went to see their daughter perform, she said.

Rogers, Jones said, was a very positive person.

“I can’t think of one negative thing he ever said,” she said.

Lucy Goldsmith, a Chronicle-Telegram employee who also knew Rogers through the Deputies, said he was upbeat and well-liked by the girls he worked with.

“He was like another dad to them,” she said.

Contact Brad Dicken at 329-7147 or bdicken@chroniclet.com.

Edited by JRMMiii

I'm sorry that guy died... But when I go, I hope it's in some kind of freak accident like that where people would remember and be like "Man that was frikin crazy how that dude died!", instead of just fading away in a hospital bed.

so the deer got hit by a car, cartwheeled through the air, hit the motorcycle, then ran off? that's incredible.

Too bad though. I wonder how close the guy who hit him was driving.

Sad story :(

Man what a horrible story. I know in the last 2 weeks alone I have had at least a half dozen deer run out in front of me. Fortunately for me they were at a distance enough I had time to brake. All of which were just south of canton between fohl rd and the boliver dam. RIP Brian