how to stop hand from going numb.

Jsvob03

1. Correct riding position. 2. I use a throttle lock (cruise). You can still turn the throttle to idle even when locked. You can ride with both hands, one hand, or no hands. 90% of NORMAL! riding can actually be done with no hands if you wanted to. If you purchase a bike with a heater (like I did) it's a must. You have to stand up to cool down.

I feel like i could ride all the way down 76/77 to work with no hands, with maybe an excption at the exit.

Anyhow, Thanks guys for the answers. I'll try to pay more attention to my riding posture. i've tried just using my thumb, or a finger or two to relieve strain, and that works for a little while. some good tips here, ill give 'em a try.

btw, to the poster who discouraged me from going to a liter bike..its only gonna go as fast as i tell it to. besides. bring your big bike, i'll show you whats up in the corners. im no slouch, just want a bigger/faster bike. I'm the kind of person that feeds off those who doubt me. so go for it! /rant.

Thanks again guys. ill let you know what happens.

edit: So i was discussing the problem with my gf. and she helped me to remember something. Over the winter, I smashed my right elbow pretty hard. So hard, i got a stinger. I played football for years, and this was by far the worst pain i've ever had in my arm/hand. It hurt so bad, it felt like my arm was on fire! So im thinking maybe i did some nerve damage. This is my third season riding, and as i think back to the last two, i never had this problem. I'm sure its beyond the reasonable amoutn of time your allowed to claim an injury at work, but i'll talk to my boss and see if i cant just get it checked out.

Edited by Jsvob03

1. Correct riding position. 2. I use a throttle lock (cruise). You can still turn the throttle to idle even when locked. You can ride with both hands, one hand, or no hands. 90% of NORMAL! riding can actually be done with no hands if you wanted to. If you purchase a bike with a heater (like I did) it's a must. You have to stand up to cool down.

you sir are a pussy. ill show you how to ride that r1 :lol: (only cuz im still outta commision)

btw, to the poster who discouraged me from going to a liter bike..its only gonna go as fast as i tell it to. besides. bring your big bike, i'll show you whats up in the corners. im no slouch, just want a bigger/faster bike. I'm the kind of person that feeds off those who doubt me. so go for it! /rant.

i had an ex500 as my first bike, and i was very glad i went to a 600cc i-4 (cbr600 f4i) instead of a 750 or 1000. it has plenty of power, very smooth, and much more manageable on corner exits. i'm sure i don't compare to you, the Rossi of Ravenna (at least, that's what they call you around those parts I hear), but i think you may feel the same way. but then again, i don't know you at all, so take it for what it's worth: a few words of advice from just some random guy on the internets.

For what its worth - are you taking a high potency multi-vitamin? Anything with 25 mg or more of the B-vitamins can contribute to numbness depending on your physical make-up.

High serum levels of B-vitamins can lead to temporary nerve damage resulting in numbness.

I owned a couple of Health food stores for a while and often heard complaints of numbness when taking too much vitamin B.

More than likely its the bike and/or seating posture but just thought I'd throw this in.

I went riding with Cat and crew one day and took a death grip on the bars ( I was trying to keep up and having a hell of a time doing it). My right hand went so number within 30 minutes I couldn't feel the throttle....so posture etc. is VERY important.

For what its worth - are you taking a high potency multi-vitamin? Anything with 25 mg or more of the B-vitamins can contribute to numbness depending on your physical make-up.

High serum levels of B-vitamins can lead to temporary nerve damage resulting in numbness.

I owned a couple of Health food stores for a while and often heard complaints of numbness when taking too much vitamin B.

More than likely its the bike and/or seating posture but just thought I'd throw this in.

I went riding with Cat and crew one day and took a death grip on the bars ( I was trying to keep up and having a hell of a time doing it). My right hand went so number within 30 minutes I couldn't feel the throttle....so posture etc. is VERY important.

I do occasionally take One-a-day for men: energy. interesting. Im guessing at this point its bad grip on the bars.

i had an ex500 as my first bike, and i was very glad i went to a 600cc i-4 (cbr600 f4i) instead of a 750 or 1000. it has plenty of power, very smooth, and much more manageable on corner exits. i'm sure i don't compare to you, the Rossi of Ravenna (at least, that's what they call you around those parts I hear), but i think you may feel the same way. but then again, i don't know you at all, so take it for what it's worth: a few words of advice from just some random guy on the internets.

It's impossible to tell tone via internet. I wasn't trying to say "I'm teh best ryder evars!", it was supposed to come out as "Hey, I may ride an entry-level bike, but i feel like i hold my own very well in the corners". No offense was meant, it was said merely as a defensive response. sorry if i ruffled any feathers.

enlighten me as to more manageable on corner exits. (maybe in PM?) as in, the rear slips out due to the power of the 1000 vs the 600? I havent ridden a 600+cc hard yet, but it definately felt VERY stable into/out of corners compared to the little 500, but didnt turn in anywhere near as well. (guess thats the trade-off...more power for less initial turn in)

I do occasionally take One-a-day for men: energy. interesting. Im guessing at this point its bad grip on the bars.

It's impossible to tell tone via internet. I wasn't trying to say "I'm teh best ryder evars!", it was supposed to come out as "Hey, I may ride an entry-level bike, but i feel like i hold my own very well in the corners". No offense was meant, it was said merely as a defensive response. sorry if i ruffled any feathers.

enlighten me as to more manageable on corner exits. (maybe in PM?) as in, the rear slips out due to the power of the 1000 vs the 600? I havent ridden a 600+cc hard yet, but it definately felt VERY stable into/out of corners compared to the little 500, but didnt turn in anywhere near as well. (guess thats the trade-off...more power for less initial turn in)

Nah not enough of anything in a one a day!

I'm sure it's been stated before, but your putting to much weight on your hands. Your not supposed to lean on the bars, infact your barely supposed to touch them, squeeze them just enough to twist the throttle. your supposed to support yourself by squeezing the tank with your legs and using your back to hold yourself up, or leaning up against the tank with your stomach. get a copy of Twist of the Wrist II and read it you'll learn a great deal.

I'm sure it's been stated before, but your putting to much weight on your hands. Your not supposed to lean on the bars, infact your barely supposed to touch them, squeeze them just enough to twist the throttle. your supposed to support yourself by squeezing the tank with your legs and using your back to hold yourself up, or leaning up against the tank with your stomach. get a copy of Twist of the Wrist II and read it you'll learn a great deal.

Yeah.. Great book. I've been reading it and trying the techniques.

Just my expierience: throttle rocker AKA Crampbuster = Crash and Burn.

???????????????? Is there a story hidden in that statement? granted it can be a PITA in city driving/aggressive riding but rotate it out of the way if your heading for one of those situations if it bothers you

Edited by gruss