Ohio's New Traffic Laws

CbrGirl

COLUMBUS, Ohio—Big changes are coming to Ohio’s interstates and highways as several new traffic laws take effect Wednesday.

The biggest change allows tractor-trailers to travel at 65 mph, NBC 4‘s Candice Lee reported.

Bill Braack a semi driver said he welcomes the new speed limit.

“It’s going to be a safety factor, I think. It’s not so much the speed of these rigs, it’s the difference in speed between us and the little cars that I think cause problems,“ Braack said.

The money for the conversion is coming from the state transportation department’s 2010-2011 budget, which was approved back in April.

However ODOT has plans to limit overtime and cost of materials.

“When they start their shift in the day tomorrow, their priority is to get those signs changed to reflect what the law is,“ said Nancy Burton, spokesperson, ODOT District 6.

Within the eight counties in District 6, there are 109 speed limit signs. ODOT crews will replace four signs while removing 62 signs.

Other speed limit signs will be covered with a white reflective material, hiding the old limit of 55 mph.

Burton said the savings is enormous, compared to buying and posting new signs.

Another law will go a long way in protecting tow truck operators.

The new law requires motorists slow down or move over when they see a tow truck on the side of the road.

The law carries a fine of $300 plus court costs for first-time violators. The fee will be $500 for second violations.

Another law provides for transition zones when speed limits drop by more than 20 mph—eliminating speed traps.

Drivers will also be required to turn on their headlights when they use windshield wipers in the rain.

http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/article/new_traffic_laws_speed_limits_take_effect/18338/

Another law provides for transition zones when speed limits drop by more than 20 mph—eliminating speed traps.

:woo:

I'm not sure how I feel about faster moving trucks, but I guess its okay. Anytime I see activity on the side of the road, cop, tow truck, semi, etc, I move over or slow down if I can't. Doesn't everyone already do that?

i do not think that trucks should be going that fast. especially the interstate ups trucks pulling 2 trailers. i seen them jack kneif before.. not a pretty scene.

I welcome the lights on while raining .. that law has been in effect in new york for over 10 years. easier to see the douche bag behind you.

they outlawed texting while driving in cleveland. with a !50 + fine if you get caught. that should be state wide.

now im waiting for them to allow you to do 65 on roads like 33 which have red lights.

I welcome the lights on while raining .. that law has been in effect in new york for over 10 years. easier to see the douche bag behind you.

I hate people that don't turn on their lights in rainy weather. It annoys me even more when they're like a grey car that is nearly invisible without their lights on in that weather. Ugh, dummies.

I'm cool with semis doing 65 under the current law, but i still feel the whole "speed" limit structure should be reworked in favor of a "momentum" limit...

still I think this change will allow for more fluidity, especially here where the roads are pretty much flat and straight.

Now now....the article stated that lights must be on when WIPERS are in USE. That is easily negated...ever heard of a product call 'RainX'?

If you haven't, look it up AND USE IT!

I have been in some hella down pours on 71 and never touch the wiper switch. Never had a single issue of not being able to see people behind me either even without their lights on.

To me is sounds like another way to make some revenue. I wanna see a cop try to give me a ticket for not having my lights on when it's raining.

Finally morons have to turn their lights on when it rains! I can't believe people drive in the rain with their lights off, b/c it's so fucking hard to see them.

agreed i thought that was common sense but then i forgot we are dealing with the general population.

The windsheild wiper/ lights law has existed in NY state since the 90's. but as they found out it is hard to enforce. as for trucks doing 65mph, you mean they don't do that already??? :lol:

Edited by buildit

I thought they were going to raise the limit for cars as well.....

I heard that last month as well. They were going to increase the limit to 70. Not only to compensate for the higher speed of semis, but also to achieve congruency with the limits of neighboring states (PA, WVa.)...

For the love of god, PLEASE, PLEASE legalize lane splitting in Ohio. Even Jersey does it, and they are some of the worst drivers I've seen.

ehhhh why would you want to go between to moronic soccer moms on cellphones?

ehhhh why would you want to go between to moronic soccer moms on cellphones?

Because that puts me at the head of traffic at a stop sign. Last time I checked my bike can accelerate a hell of a lot faster than them.

For the love of god, PLEASE, PLEASE legalize lane splitting in Ohio. Even Jersey does it, and they are some of the worst drivers I've seen.

Last I heard there is no law defining lane splitting in Ohio. So if it ain't illegal, then it must be legal.

http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=11965

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=OH

http://accident-law.freeadvice.com/accident-law/motorcycle-helmut-laws.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080912104308AAFfd30

Edited by Strictly Street
add link