CCW NEO-Training Course, Please Sign Up Here

Likwid

like i said before....lol...the 'mosquito'

u guys really wanta get trained with a .22??

hell u could do more damage with a rubber band and paperclip from the back of the classroom....

yea passing the aim portion would be a breeze but.......really???

I've shot well over 300 rounds through my 44, probably 1,000 through my 22, I'll just have to practice more after down in the country

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot well over 300 rounds through my 44, probably 1,000 through my 22, I'll just have to practice more after down in the country

a .22 is used for 'plinking'...lol...i dont mean to be a ass but....

if this is the course you all are deciding to take i might go solo up to www.commencefire.com, located right in cleveland...

their next open class is in 6 days from today and their schedule is open every weekend after that as well. they also offer single day completion.

$125 a person or $115 if you sign up as 2 or more together at the same time, lunch provided for single day course...

By all means... but that's an awful expensive lunch.

I just want the piece of paper that says I can get a CCW. I'll train with my own weapons on my own time. I won't even have a CCW gun until I find the right deal AFTER I take the course.

Your ability with a weaappon is not a legal defense. Killing someone is killing someone.

Unless you shoot 6 times, miss, and heaven forbid kill a bunch of sidestanders the whole "he wasn't trained with that weapon" shouldn't make a difference.

Just be careful and make sure you cross reference EVERYTHING your instructor has to say. You'd be surprised how many don't know what the fuck they are talking about. :rolleyes:

Good advice...even when you said it the first time.

Sadly, I'm not surprised. I'd do this regardless of how much I paid for the class. So, if I'm double-checking everything anyway, I might as well save a few pennies.

Unless someone can explain what added value I get for the extra chedda... I'll be more than happy to shell out some extra coin if someone can legitimately point out what additional service I get above and beyond what the 'cheap guy' is offering...

Good advice...even when you said it the first time.

Sadly, I'm not surprised. I'd do this regardless of how much I paid for the class. So, if I'm double-checking everything anyway, I might as well save a few pennies.

Unless someone can explain what added value I get for the extra chedda... I'll be more than happy to shell out some extra coin if someone can legitimately point out what additional service I get above and beyond what the 'cheap guy' is offering...

I agree, and IP, you're right and you make a lot of sense. I think you said it before, or someone else did... but, "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6"

That being said, I'm not sure any class is REALLY going to get you a 100% of the experience you need, if one gets us 90% for $500 and one gets us 50% for $75 I think I'd rather take 50% and then do a ton of research on my own (like JRM mentioned)

And to my point earlier, if we train with our own gun, is 2 hours really going to make a difference in terms of "I know what I'm doing", nothing is going to get you as close as going to the range for a couple hours every week for a month.

Anyway, JRM and I have emailed the Walton place, registered for 8/8-8/9 just need to send money... who else is registered? Please let us know, if I have to sit in a room for 10 hours I'd rather it be with some folks I know.

when my buddy opened his range is when i got very into firearms. since my ccw course, i have talked my father, brother-in-law and my wife all to get theirs. and since then i have obtained my NRA Distinguished Expert in pistol, light rifle, high power rifle and shotgun. I have tried my hands at bullseye shooting but found it to be boring, so every sunday we do practical shooting scenerios. behind walls, barrels, car doors. multiple targets, hostage situations, things that keeps us moving and not just standing there.

Next will be sniper training... when i put together a rifle that is worthy.

From the carryingsafe.com site:

Possessing and using a firearm is an awesome right and responsibility and our NRA certified and state-recognized Instructors will teach you how to safely and effectively use a firearm in a variety of environments and situations.

We have structured our class so that beginners and experienced shooters alike will learn valuable information pertaining to firearm safety and self-defense.

Our classroom setting will allow you to handle, examine and inspect handguns in a variety of styles and types from a variety of manufacturers. In a safe unintimidating environment.

Their verbiage isn't quite as in-depth and involved as IPs, but using IPs post, I can at least go in with those types of questions that they should be able to answer...

Or, you could just use a revolver :D No mags, chambering, or anything... just close the cylinder + pull the trigger. Just don't miss 5 times.

Edited by JRMMiii

Isaac's papa is right...

my smileyvault-2c.gif

btw.. i'm a member over on ohioccwforums.com also. You can learn loads and loads of info from those guys. any questions, don't hesitate. we've gotten all kinds of questions over there.

Edited by curby

Well, IP's got a great point.... we need training on HOW to fire in high stress situations more than "here's the safety, here's what a bullet looks like" type of crap.

Teaching when it's ok to shoot is fine... but if you don't teach HOW to react, how to control yourself and make a good decision... those are equally as important, if not more. We can always research online case history and that too. It's hard to go to a range and pretend you're in a live fire situation.

I'll italics out the stuff we can "safely" learn online IMHO, and bold where the real benefits are

The class IP posted

Cost of the class is $150.00.

The student will learn:

• Firearms Safety
  • Safe handling of firearms & ammunition
  • Safe storage of handguns & ammunition
  • Laws pertaining to Ohio Concealed Carry
  • Laws pertaining to self-defense
  • Handguns & ammunitions types
  • What stress does to your body (Deadly Force Encounter)
  • Mechanics of wounding
  • Proper defensive handgun calibers
  • Mechanics of handgun shooting
  • Handgun maintenance to include storage, oiling & cleaning

Compared to the Walton class

• Lesson One - Ohio Basic CCW Rules, Regulations and Requirements. - 2 hrs.
  • Lesson Two - Pistol Knowledge & Safe Gun Handling - 2 hrs.
  • Lesson Three - Ammunition Knowledge & fundamentals of Pistol Shooting - 2 hrs.
  • Lesson Four - Firing the First Shots - 2 hrs -- Is this in combat or just firing a gun?
  • Lesson Five - Formal Written and Practical Exams, Two-Handed Standing Shooting Position, and Intro. to Pistol we will use on Firing Range. - 2 hrs.

I dunno, in regards to the one Drumb posted, even that one seems like they teach more and have better experience.

I dunno, now I'm torn

ok so from what ive gathered...most everyone is splitting up here, right?

i woulda liked to do this as 1 giant group and take over a whole class but sorry...im too concerned about passing with the .22 and having that thrown in my face if i ever get taken to court posessing a .45

personally im going to go to commencefire.com, hopefully not this weekend but next if they have the opening. so far 1 person has confirmed they will attend with me to get the 115 rate, and anyone else is welcome to join, just let me know.

AND on another note, maybe curby is onto something, even if we cant all crash a class, maybe we can all get together and share some range time, i would be in for something like that (if any of these places have my ammo) :violin:

IP Likwid...JRM all make good points. I'd like to add that it doesn't matter if you get the best instruction in the world to get your CCW....if you don't constantly put that knowledge to the test, it's useless. No one is going to remember what they spent a day learning, 5 years down the road, if they don't put time in and practice. You get out what you put in.

Having said that..Aug 8/9 doesn't work for me. I promised my kids I would take them camping. It's the only available weekend I can do it.

The Aug 1st weekend works for me.

My .02.

I am in with the learn more spend more thing. I will be taking the class with Drum. It would be better if we had a person with some property to go shoot on. Arange would be fine but it would be hard to get in with a large group at the ones i go to. And it goes back to what a range will let you pratice.

I may take it too still and then carry my 22

you know it doesnt matter what caliber u take the class with and then the caliber or even pistol you carry after, right? once you have your license you have your license, call any course and they'll tell you that

*EDIT*

ill be calling commence fire on my break at work tomorrow to check availability and prices for rental/ammo and post up tomorrow when i get home from work around 5 or so

Edited by drumbtzz

Obviously' date=' you've never witnessed a prosecutor try to convince a Grand Jury that you aren't competent enough to handle the firearm you used. It isn't cut and dry like you might think it is. With the passage of 'castle' we got a leg up in the defense area but it still isn't gravy by any means.

Being able to convince a jury that you are as competent and trained as possible goes a long way on your behalf.

I don't care what class you guys take. It's a free country.. do as you please. I was just offering a little insight since I kept hearing 'cheaper is better' and since that usually doesn't apply in the real world why would it apply now?? Don't get the idea that you know everything about firearms and the laws that concern them. This isn't target shooting at grandpa's farm. We're talking deciding to carry a gun that you may have to use to defend your life or the life of another person. If you are ok with a 'cheaper is better' outlook when considering these possibilities then, by all means, have a ball. Just be careful and make sure you cross reference EVERYTHING your instructor has to say. You'd be surprised how many don't know what the fuck they are talking about. :rolleyes:[/quote']

+1

Prosecuters will twist everything they can...

If you use a hot load or a high end hollow point, they will paint you as a cold blooded killer saying that regular rounds aren't deadly enough for you.

+1

Prosecuters will twist everything they can...

If you use a hot load or a high end hollow point, they will paint you as a cold blooded killer saying that regular rounds aren't deadly enough for you.

that's when you play dumb and say well that's the the sales man told me to get. :)