Stuck in Second Gear

DAC

I need some ideas on who can work on an old bike. Or maybe even some diagnostics.

I just bought an old Honda for the wife to ride. After not even five minutes of riding, the thing stuck in second gear and I can't get it out (up or down).

I picked this 1979 Honda Twinstar CM185 up on eBay for $610 as a beginning bike for the wife to learn on. Rode it around the parking lot (the seller met me half way) in first and second gear.

Today, I am riding it out to a parking lot for the wife to refresh on after taking MSF last April and on the way there I moved through the gears to third with no problems. I downshift to second to round a corner, accelerate and ...

... no third gear. I try three times to clutch it up into third and nothing happens. At the next stop, I can't get it into first either.

HNW is right around the corner, so I stop there. No luck, they have no time to service a bike and gave me the name of a guy who sounds like he'll look at it but if it's too involved, he has no time either.

So, now what? Anyone know any good mechanics? Does this sound like a problem anyone has run into?

The guy who sold me this is east of Cleveland. He did a fix for something else in the tranny before he sold me the bike. I may take it back to him to look at.

I don't work on bikes so I can't say I'm up for a tranny fix - I wouldn't know what I was doing.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Good friend of mine Rob Minton 206-2fiveone4 tell him Todd gave you his number he'll take good care of you he was the lead tech at ask for years now owns his own shop

Thanks! I'll give him a call.

Good friend of mine Rob Minton 206-2fiveone4 tell him Todd gave you his number he'll take good care of you he was the lead tech at ask for years now owns his own shop

Not to thread jack, but 1000: Pm sent. Good luck Floyd, i hope it works out for you man.

There was a spring on the shift linkage on the right side that came off. It was a fairly easy fix and just needed to take off the right side cover.