your vs you're

John

Its all due (not do) to (not too) texting and the internet. We have become so lazy and in such a hurry, that we have to cut corners everywhere we can. g2g, ttyl, thnx, b4...and on and on. I'll admit I am guilty of it to. The problem is when you are emailing or writing to someone and you type/write like this. YOU LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT! Kids these days don't even know what punctuation even is. And don't even care that there is a difference in their, there, they're, to, too, two....This is referred to as the dumbing down of America.

Anyways, one of my big pet peeves is "a" and "an". "A" is used before a consonant. He has a book. "an" is used before a vowel. He has an old book.

Its all due (not do) to (not too) texting and the internet. We have become so lazy and in such a hurry, that we have to cut corners everywhere we can. g2g, ttyl, thnx, b4...and on and on.

i sort of agree. i mean i dont capitalize or use apostrophes in contractions when im posting here. but i at least try to spell everything correctly and use the correct words. i dunno maybe some just appreciate the written word more than others?

Anyways, one of my big pet peeves is "a" and "an". "A" is used before a consonant. He has a book. "an" is used before a vowel. He has an old book.

like this?

a hour

an unicorn

an university

an european

affect and effect... anyone?

effect - think of the term side-effects. and effect is something that happens because of something else. Used to describe a result of an action.

affect - how will this affect the way this works? basically its like thinking before doing. what will the affect be on this, if i do this!

ugh. thats just me.

like this?

a hour

an unicorn

an university

an european

yes yes, i stand corrected on my statement. Looks like you found this:

WHEN TO USE -A-Use a if the next word begins with a consonant SOUND. This is a sound rule, NOT a spelling rule.a box

a cat

a university (university begins with a consonant sound)

a unicorn (unicorn begins with a consonant sound)

a European trip (European begins with a consonant sound)

a hotel (hotel begins with a consonant sound)WHEN TO USE -AN-Use AN if the next word begins with a vowel SOUND. This is a sound rule, NOT a spelling rule.an atom

an entrance

an ice cream cone

an uncle (uncle begins with a vowel sound)

an hour (the h is silent, thus a vowel sound)