Rocky river heads up on vertical plates.

Tonik

It appears Rocky River passed a local ordinance against vertical license plates and is enforcing it. I am pretty sure vertical is ok under Ohio law. Weird that they would bother with something like that at the city level. Also weird that they actually can pass a law like that. Seems like a state license plate display issue is a state issue.

But I am not a lawyer, I only play one on a message board.

Sodomy is a crime

but back OnT, I didn't see anything in the ORC about allowing local administrations to override the law, if you get a ticket (and it likely is 50$ or some crap so noone will fight it) you'd have to take it past the local court, then it would get overridden.

Sodomy is a crime

but back OnT, I didn't see anything in the ORC about allowing local administrations to override the law, if you get a ticket (and it likely is 50$ or some crap so noone will fight it) you'd have to take it past the local court, then it would get overridden.

Sodomy as a crime got repealed in Ohio in the 70's.

Very good point on the ORC thing, I think you are very right. I have passed the info on to the guy that got nailed for it.

Last time we had this discussion it seemed the state law mentioned something about horizontal placement. Just sayin...

where?

4503.21 Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary license placard or windshield sticker.

(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 of the Revised Code, furnished by the director of public safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.

I don't think they can enforce it unless you LIVE in the area, and are registered there...

otherwise all the local yokels could write tickets to PA residents for no front plate...

That's correct, I think technically LEO can write tickets for out of state people, you have to follow the law for where you are. Hence why radar detectors and cell phone usage in NY is illegal even if you're from Ohio.

So in terms of overrides, IF ALLOWED TO OVERRIDE

Local > City > State > Country

But this only assumes the higher authority has granted rights to override...

My point was...I don't believe they can write registration/plate/vehicle tickets, only "moving violations" and parking tickets to outsiders.

any of the many LEOs on the board care to pipe up? I'd like to know if this is the case.