Dog Trainer?

Tbone9191

Yes , me whats the breed , how old , and what do you want ... and like punk said I'd spend about an hour with the dog and 3 hours with you . I could prolly get him to do whatever I wanted in less than an hour and he still may not do it for you toll you get trained right and huskies dont train worth a damb so I hope you didnt get one of those

The breed you have and what you are expecting from it can sometimes lead to disappointment. With the same input you get different results training a working dog compared to a terrier. Lifestyle and commitment are also important toward your results. The decisions you make selecting your dog have a lot of bearing on your success with long term ownership.

Yes , me whats the breed , how old , and what do you want ... and like punk said I'd spend about an hour with the dog and 3 hours with you . I could prolly get him to do whatever I wanted in less than an hour and he still may not do it for you toll you get trained right and huskies dont train worth a damb so I hope you didnt get one of those

I may have to hire you.....

I have a 9 month old Boston Terrier French Bulldog mix. I am looking for a basics like no jumping on people and sit stay stuff.

I am into doing what I need, but I am not sure he can be what I am looking for. I had a golden retriever from a puppy and he was good and you didn't have to do much, he just listened. I understand it takes work on your part I just don't know how because dogs in my life have always happened to listen well.

Sometimes pets plus has cheap basic training classes but I've trainned my own dogs. The best thing you can do is spend an hour a day for several weeks working with the dog. Use some small treats as rewards when commands are followed and use a leash so you can control the dogs attention. When walking the dog do not let it pull you down the street. Make the dog understand you are the Alpha and in control of the situation. Once dominance is established it is easier to create a communication system. As for jumping up, a "light" knee to the chest and a "no" is the first step. Reinforce good behavior with rewards. Dogs are like kids, they want your attention and will act up for negative attention if ignored. In their book bad attention is better than no attention.

Boston terriers and golden retrievers are from two different planets but it doesn't sound like you are asking for anything impossible. Good luck.

I'm sorry but I will have to disagree with buildit on a few points or at least clarify them. Working with the dog for an hour a day for several weeks is good but the hour should be broken up into shorter sessions, the younger the dog the shorter the sessions. You are trying to end on a successful positive note.

Showing the dog you are an alpha and controlling it can sometimes be interpreted wrong and shouldn't be confused with dominance training. This is where you can make big mistakes; training a shepherd with the same techniques you train a terrier with will result in completely different results to the point of ruining any bond you might have with your dog. If you're not sure of what you're doing do not try to dominate your terrier, it will shut down on you. Terriers have a different reward system and are not necessarily motivated to try to please you like a working or herding dog. They can be trained to be wonderful companions but require different training techniques.

The last three sentences are spot on and I couldn't have stated them better. I might add that ignoring bad behavior can also be a teaching technique and I have seen it work quite successfully. Hard to explain and is specific to the problems a certain dog can present you with.

Huskies are fine dogs and with the proper job, exercise and stimulation make wonderful pets for about 1% of people who try to own them.

Ive had good luck with bulldogs the terrier part is the more difficult side Ive found they have a short attenion span and too much energy for what most owners are expecting of them but still trainable ,,, where most people go wrong is going out on the spur of the moment and buying a dog because its cute, the best way to get a dog is talk to a trainer or breeder first and tell them your lifestlye , expectation , size of house and yard , level of commitment on your part and kids or not then let them tell you what breeds to look at then start looking at animal shelters and rescue groups before petstores ..... and that huskies working for about 1% of people that own them is about right those dogs are so damb stubborn I think they incredibly smart just way to difficult. Female Rotts are by far my favorite theyre the only breed I get for myself anymore they train super easy , excellent with kids especially young kids , protective as hell and they try to please

its easy get your self a empty can of coke put some pennys in it about 25 cents worth when he jumps up on you tell him no then shake the can dont push him away he think you are playing with him to teach him how to sit put him on the leash walk him around the yard pick up some small treats for him hold the treats over his head pull up on the leash and tell him to sit use the treats as a reward dont give it to him if he does not do it try that for about an hour a every other day

Female rottie was my first dog as an adult and I was very successful training her with many mistakes on my part. Again, working group dog, most of them make mild training out to look like you're a genius. The results you are describing with a rottie can easily be traced back to what the bog was breed for just like most results can be. I am amused when people want to get a pit bull for a protection dog. They can be a protection dog but there are far superior dogs for that purpose. If protection is the first thing that comes to your mind when looking for a dog, look elsewhere. This goes back to what purpose it was originally breed for. Huskies are from the working group but sled dogs were not breed for companionship their stubbornness makes them very good for they’re intended purpose. Many if not all successful dog ownerships come down to the proper dog for you picked beforehand. Along with kids or not including all the other suggestions 1000rrider makes I might also had that depending on the breed it shouldn't be your first dog.