Stopped for having visor up?!

F4iBunny

Well I have no respect for them, as I have had a County Sherrif Lie his a$$ off on the stand, and a HWY patrol that said he cleared his radar when I asked to see it. Said he clocked me at 68 in a 55 mph when i was barely registering 60 mph.

I used to give them respect, but I have seen their crooked ways (and got a ticket for a new sign no right turn on red from 6-9 am M-F. And the cop just told me that they are now enforcing it cause someone complained about them not enforcing it. No Warning or anything with clean record. Just a $90 ticket for that BS.)

Oh they never marked that there was a new sign either.

they ought to have a camera in front of the actual radar gun also to put an end to just having his word that you were speeding. Hell they do it for everything else why not put the radar gun on cam too.

Shit i got a ticket last Feb after some dumb as Jackson TWP cop parked his car in the passing lane on I-76 west bound just over a hill...what an idiot...he was attending one wreck and caused another. I T-boned his ass after 1 other car hit him...then a 3rd car knocked his car off the road the rest of the way... the OHP gave me ticket for ACDA assured clear distance and avoidance or something like that...it was $90.

I hate new signs or signal changes. It always takes a few to get used to. Of course at some point they have to start giving tickets for disobeying a traffic sign.

Worst part is, that even a month after my ticket I still see 3-10 cars make the same turn on red every week on my way to work and none of them are getting pulled over. I guess that just my ticket they thought was enough to push the message.

Had they put up notification that the sign was there it might have been better.

Worst part is, that even a month after my ticket I still see 3-10 cars make the same turn on red every week on my way to work and none of them are getting pulled over. I guess that just my ticket they thought was enough to push the message.

Had they put up notification that the sign was there it might have been better.

Is there a cop sitting there everytime you see this happening?

You're suggesting a sign saying there's a new sign? :confused:

No they aren't sitting there and I had seen a cop make the same turn as well before I got pulled over a couple weeks or so prior when the cop who pulled me over said the sign had been there for a month.

Some kind of notice that there was a new sign (it is a smaller sign hanging from the wire. I think had they put the sign on the side of the road or something to make people look that would have been a better option.

I stopped at page two and just skipped to a reply, way to much bickering.

Yes, I agree that its lame to be stopped for flipping up your visor. You SHOULD be wearing eye protection however as its there to protect you. If you arent going to take steps to protect your own health and safety, then your a f***ing moron and deserve whats comming.

However, I know that this is the NUMBER ONE most common BS traffic stop that police pull on bikers. I have been harassed on this one many times, becasue I flipped up the visor to talk at a light or stop sign, even recently was pulled over because my night glasses were "too dark", although I have no idea how you can tell they are too dark when you are directly behind me. As mentioned, these are excuses to check you out for 1. Legal License w/ MC endorsement (vs. temps or no MC endorsement), 2. Insurance, 3. Legal Ownership, 4. Warrants / Suspected Illegal Activity.

If you have a MC endorsement and proof of insurance ready (and wearing riding gear helps too), these stops (although annoying) usually only last a second when you politely hand them all your paperwork and let them know you do have somewhere to be... Not always, as the "too dark glasses" incident was an hour long stop of me and my roomate by University Police of the University we both work for, so you never know... Just take it with a grain of salt, it happens to the harley guys just as often.

even recently was pulled over because my night glasses were "too dark", although I have no idea how you can tell they are too dark when you are directly behind me.

you should have asked what the legal limit of darkness is for sunglasses.

it is a valid reason, and this happens all the time. in ohio the only gear required by law is eye protection. its stupid but they like pulling bikes over just for shits.

That sucks!

So... what if you are wearing sunglasses IN your helmet and you choose to raise your visor? You are still protecting your eyes. Based on that, there would be NO reason to get pulled over, right?

That sucks!

So... what if you are wearing sunglasses IN your helmet and you choose to raise your visor? You are still protecting your eyes. Based on that, there would be NO reason to get pulled over, right?

Thats the way I do it and have been pulled over for speeding on the bike and

cop never said a thing about my visor or the glasses..

• 3 years later...

I think I've been catching huge breaks lately. With this heat, I tend to always flip up my visor when stopped at traffic lights. I usually flip it up and leave it up for a few seconds when the light turns green so I can get some wind inside my helmet to dry out the sweat, lol. I've ridden past numerous cops over the past couple days and haven't gotten pulled over....

Yet :D

If a rider is not wearing other eye protection, the way I understand the law, the rider is breaking the law. The cop is justified in the stop. If the rider was wearing eye protection behind the visor, the stop was a type of harassment. Leo's are human, and it happens. Legal or not, in some of the Atlantic coast states, cops admittedly (but not to the judge) pull bikers over for bs reasons with their main objective being to check for MC endorsements. Along the way they also write other tickets. A real catch 22. As much as that's some real waste, my wife drives 270 daily, and that road needs more cop presence, more tickets written. She drives in the Tuttle Crossing area of Dublin and several intersections there need the same thing. Bottomline there are not enough Leo's out there, so they are spread out paper thin already When's the last time a person was pulled over for a light out, or for failure to come to a complete stop, or for failure to use turn signals. Instead now we have cop video remote surveillance at certain intersections......so yeh the cop probably had lots of more important things to be doing, but even the little stuff needs attention too.

If a rider is not wearing other eye protection, the way I understand the law, the rider is breaking the law. The cop is justified in the stop. If the rider was wearing eye protection behind the visor, the stop was a type of harassment. Leo's are human, and it happens. Legal or not, in some of the Atlantic coast states, cops admittedly (but not to the judge) pull bikers over for bs reasons with their main objective being to check for MC endorsements. Along the way they also write other tickets. A real catch 22. As much as that's some real waste, my wife drives 270 daily, and that road needs more cop presence, more tickets written. She drives in the Tuttle Crossing area of Dublin and several intersections there need the same thing. Bottomline there are not enough Leo's out there, so they are spread out paper thin already When's the last time a person was pulled over for a light out, or for failure to come to a complete stop, or for failure to use turn signals. Instead now we have cop video remote surveillance at certain intersections......so yeh the cop probably had lots of more important things to be doing, but even the little stuff needs attention too.

yeah MORE cops out there making up stuff to pull you over for so they can say "papers please?"

thats JUST what we need.

I was just going to make a post about this. I know the eye protection law but a guy I work with was sitting at a stop light and flipped open his visor and a cop flipped on his lights immediately while they were sitting still at the light. The cop gave him a warning for no eye protection. I can understand this if you are actually moving but sitting at the stop light? I think it is total bs and if that happened to me, I would probably end up in jail for the cop being such a douche moneky