Stopped for having visor up?!

F4iBunny

by the way, the law states that the "other eye protection" has to be of that approved by the department of public safety. If you go to their website and search wind screen, it brings you another version of the PDF that says wind screens are eye protection. It is the "other eye protection" that allows for windscreens to act in their place. Stupidly, they don't tell you the height it has to be. So, you could get off just by saying you had a wind screen on your sport bike.

Which site? I've seen a couple that are like FAQ type PDFs, but I haven't seen one that is like the Ohio MV Laws handbook or one that references a specific code.

The actual code says, "using safety glasses or other protective eye device". Then says, "other protective eye device shall conform with regulations prescribed and promulgated by the director of public safety". The director's site points you to the BMV site for reference to "other protective eye device." Basically, he is counting windshields as such. They just messed up by not referencing any size requirements.

I just found that the BMV falls under the direction of the Ohio Dept of Public Safety. So, if the BMV says it, than it is from the Dept of Public Safety and thus from the Director of Public Safety. Based on the law, wind screens are "other protective eye device".

http://www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/aboutus.asp

The actual code says, "using safety glasses or other protective eye device". Then says, "other protective eye device shall conform with regulations prescribed and promulgated by the director of public safety". The director's site points you to the BMV site for reference to "other protective eye device." Basically, he is counting windshields as such. They just messed up by not referencing any size requirements.

I just found that the BMV falls under the direction of the Ohio Dept of Public Safety. So, if the BMV says it, than it is from the Dept of Public Safety and thus from the Director of Public Safety. Based on the law, wind screens are "other protective eye device".

http://www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/aboutus.asp

I was following that trail too, but it states that, "other protective eye device shall conform with regulations prescribed and promulgated by the director of public safety". That means there has to be an document published stating what those are. I still can't find anything about windshields other than what's the FAQs. I sent them an email...I'm curious now.

You know, I've met many people, and know some personally with Master Degrees and PhD's, and have listened to them cuss or call people "fucking retarded or stupid". Cussing doesn't have anything to do with illiteracy or uneducated; it just means the person isn't a religious individual. If you're not religious, then cussing is no big thing.

Sorry, just had to put my $.02 in on hattrix's comment.

• Upvote 1

I don't get it... Breaking the law, getting held accountable for it... There's something wrong with that? Sounds like the guy was pretty cool for just giving a warning when he could have issued a citation.

Bullshit is bullshit....i wonder if anyone knows that there are so many laws on the books the it is very hard for anyone to not break them ...even accidently at one time or another.

...6 pages later...

Gee, I was just expecting a "man, that sucks" response but glad that I could give you guys something to chat about. I now know that it's probably best to use my visor at all times and appreciate the corrections.

Ok, I put this thread on here because honestly I didn't know it was the law to have eye protection. I have just recently gone thru the MSF course and gotten my motorcycle license. Once home from the ride I was unable to find anything in the book you study for your permit or the book from the MSF course that having eye protection is the law. (Please don't post quotes if you find it) However, you can see from this thorough debate that the law is unclear (+/- windscreen, etc)

Not knowing it was the law at the time, it really did seem like harrassment - pulling over a sport bike rider whom we thought was riding totally within the law. Yes, we are glad he only gave the rider a warning. The cop was much cooler about the whole thing than he had to be, but it just seemed like a silly initial reason to stop him.

I'm not a cop hater and understand the importance of this law. I also know that when cops are bored, they check little things out. Had a cop pull in when I was practicing slow manuevers in a church parking lot at 2am. It was suspicious, I understand that. Turns out he's a fellow rider and was totally cool about it. Stopped by a cop in Westerville at 1am b/c I had a headlight out (in my truck). Two more cops pulled in behind him to see what was up. Kinda overkill!

Now how about a group hug?

I started to respond to multiple posts, but realized this thread is going nowhere…

If I am a zombie for respecting the law and not crying like a baby when I am held accountable to it, then fuck it… “MMmmmm…. BRAINS.â€

I was pulled over "Cop couldn't see my license plate". My plate cover was half as dark as most car plates, My fender was stock with stock license plate light, and even after he was behind me for 2 miles or so still couldn't see my plate.

Now that was harrassment IMO.

Wow. what a topic!! And Karla, good job for rocking the boat. And I don't give a rat ass of what people think because they have their own fucking opinions. LOL. Well, this is the whole story:

1. We were waiting at the light and I was behind the Worthington cop. When the light turned green, I was running 15-20mph with my visor up (and Yes, I broke the law but who give a fuck! and yes again, I watched my speed limit, u know why). When the cop changed lane, I sped up to 30-35mph and I closed my visor down. Then, he pulled me over.

2. After the cop explained why he stopped me, I gave him all of my information. I was thinking that he would give me a warning, but NOOO, he came out from his car and gave me the complete written ticket ready to sign. I should have apologized to the cop when I LOST IT!!

3. I started to yell at the cop and the exact words that came out from my mouth: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU GAVE ME A FUCKING TICKET FOR HAVING MY VISOR UP AND I EVEN CLOSED IT DOWN WHEN I PASSED YOU?" Then, I don't remember what I said because the rage in me, took over. I almost got out of my bike but all of this time, he kept looking down. He may be feeling stupid for giving me a ticket. I was yelling at him for 5 FULL minutes.

4. Then, he scratched the ticket and said, "I'm going to give you a big break on this one". Then, I said "GODDDAAMMNNRIGGHTT!!". :mad: He took off and I'm still pist off. So, I went to 71N and took off to 165 mph thinking "IF YOU WANT TO GIVE ME A TICKET, THIS IS THE TIME!!!! MOTHERFUCKING COP!!!"

Stevan

ps: I just had to vent out!!! :rolleyes:

Wow. what a topic!! And Karla, good job for rocking the boat. And I don't give a rat ass of what people think because they have their own fucking opinions. LOL. Well, this is the whole story:

1. We were waiting at the light and I was behind the Worthington cop. When the light turned green, I was running 15-20mph with my visor up (and Yes, I broke the law but who give a fuck! and yes again, I watched my speed limit, u know why). When the cop changed lane, I sped up to 30-35mph and I closed my visor down. Then, he pulled me over.

2. After the cop explained why he stopped me, I gave him all of my information. I was thinking that he would give me a warning, but NOOO, he came out from his car and gave me the complete written ticket ready to sign. I should have apologized to the cop when I LOST IT!!

3. I started to yell at the cop and the exact words that came out from my mouth: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU GAVE ME A FUCKING TICKET FOR HAVING MY VISOR UP AND I EVEN CLOSED IT DOWN WHEN I PASSED YOU?" Then, I don't remember what I said because the rage in me, took over. I almost got out of my bike but all of this time, he kept looking down. He may be feeling stupid for giving me a ticket. I was yelling at him for 5 FULL minutes.

4. Then, he scratched the ticket and said, "I'm going to give you a big break on this one". Then, I said "GODDDAAMMNNRIGGHTT!!". :mad: He took off and I'm still pist off. So, I went to 71N and took off to 165 mph thinking "IF YOU WANT TO GIVE ME A TICKET, THIS IS THE TIME!!!! MOTHERFUCKING COP!!!"

Stevan

ps: I just had to vent out!!! :rolleyes:

cop didnt deserve the rant but its still a funny story. much better than the last 6 pages of this thread...

day-of-the-dead-bub-small.jpg

BRAINNNNNNSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

I started to respond to multiple posts, but realized this thread is going nowhere…

If I am a zombie for respecting the law and not crying like a baby when I am held accountable to it, then fuck it… “MMmmmm…. BRAINS.â€

Excuse me but if you read my latest post on this thread you would see that I was unaware of the law therefore was unable to respect it, thus complained, not cried like a baby. However, you cannot tell me that you have no negative feelings when you are ticketed, regardless of the offense.

Wow, this thing really took off. Nice Pic btw.

As for the windscreen on being a device...I think common sense would take over, but I would definately like to get the offical word from the BMV/Director of Public Saftey.

My own personal thoughts are: any full windscreen that prevents any object from direct contact to the face and eyes. The Full Cruiser Harley/Goldwing style comes to mind on this since it typically can go the width of the front and height to the top of your head. This would block most debris/bugs from direct contact into your face/eyes and probably results in a montage of bug guts/dirt/grit that would make modern art.

I can understand your being upset also and after doing some checking with friends a ticket for that (Visor) goes $110. I know your upset, but taking off that fast won't help things. When your angry, sad or upset.... that is not the time to be on a motorcycle. Your not focused on what your doing since your thinking about other events (in this case getting pulled over) and it drastically increases your chance of messing up and going down. I would also like to remind everyone in columbus of the helicopters they use (they have two). Those thing loves to catch speeders! You might be able to out run a car, but that thing doesn't have to follow roads like we do. I'm sure you all remember the Sean Hill thing from last month, going 168mph or something like that and got caught. Hes screwed even with a good attourny I'd imagine, but I'd really rather not see anyone from here having to be in the same situation.

Since it free to check and posted before, hit up the ohio revised code if you want to translate it 8(

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/29 (criminal)

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/45 (traffic)

Thats all the current laws in and you can find out what not to do before you might do it, or you want to go to bed shortly there after reading ;)

Wow, this thing really took off. Nice Pic btw.

As for the windscreen on being a device...I think common sense would take over, but I would definately like to get the offical word from the BMV/Director of Public Saftey.

My own personal thoughts are: any full windscreen that prevents any object from direct contact to the face and eyes. The Full Cruiser Harley/Goldwing style comes to mind on this since it typically can go the width of the front and height to the top of your head. This would block most debris/bugs from direct contact into your face/eyes and probably results in a montage of bug guts/dirt/grit that would make modern art.

I can understand your being upset also and after doing some checking with friends a ticket for that (Visor) goes $110. I know your upset, but taking off that fast won't help things. When your angry, sad or upset.... that is not the time to be on a motorcycle. Your not focused on what your doing since your thinking about other events (in this case getting pulled over) and it drastically increases your chance of messing up and going down. I would also like to remind everyone in columbus of the helicopters they use (they have two). Those thing loves to catch speeders! You might be able to out run a car, but that thing doesn't have to follow roads like we do. I'm sure you all remember the Sean Hill thing from last month, going 168mph or something like that and got caught. Hes screwed even with a good attourny I'd imagine, but I'd really rather not see anyone from here having to be in the same situation.

Since it free to check and posted before, hit up the ohio revised code if you want to translate it 8(

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/29 (criminal)

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/45 (traffic)

Thats all the current laws in and you can find out what not to do before you might do it, or you want to go to bed shortly there after reading ;)

Hey buddy don't come into the damn thread sounding all level headed and reasonable! :D

I've hit some pretty nasty bugs at around 40ish that completely covered my visor when they splattered. I'm glad my visor was down, that would have severely screwed with my eye if it had hit there. I'm pretty sure that's the point in the law.

Excuse me but if you read my latest post on this thread you would see that I was unaware of the law therefore was unable to respect it, thus complained, not cried like a baby. However, you cannot tell me that you have no negative feelings when you are ticketed, regardless of the offense.

And now you are aware of it, so what is the problem? If he hadn't stopped you, you still wouldn't be aware of it until the day you took something in the eye.

Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is no excuse (the cops probably here 'I didn't know all of the time).

If it really bothers you that much, file a complaint. I'm sure the next guy he stops on a bike, he won't be so nice to.

My memory is fuzzy on this with the MSF, but I believe they told us we need a helmet and eye protection. A full face helmet is eye protection, but if you were wearing a 3/4 without a visor, then you need glasses.

They may have said eye protection even for those in a full face helmet. Like I said, it's fuzzy, but I do recall eye protection being part of the requirement.

I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the people who were WTF'ing and talking about fighting real crime... whatever... Those who were aware of the law, but still bitch like it's the cops fault for doing their job.

And, I've never had negative feelings towards a cop when I've got a ticket... I've never dealt with an asshole cop though either... I show respect, sir/maam 'em the entire time, and with the 10 or so tickets I've got, they've always reciprocated the respect I've shown. If anything I am pissed at myself for getting caught, but not at the guy just doing his job.

Well I have no respect for them, as I have had a County Sherrif Lie his a$$ off on the stand, and a HWY patrol that said he cleared his radar when I asked to see it. Said he clocked me at 68 in a 55 mph when i was barely registering 60 mph.

I used to give them respect, but I have seen their crooked ways (and got a ticket for a new sign no right turn on red from 6-9 am M-F. And the cop just told me that they are now enforcing it cause someone complained about them not enforcing it. No Warning or anything with clean record. Just a $90 ticket for that BS.)

Oh they never marked that there was a new sign either.

Well I have no respect for them, as I have had a County Sherrif Lie his a$$ off on the stand, and a HWY patrol that said he cleared his radar when I asked to see it. Said he clocked me at 68 in a 55 mph when i was barely registering 60 mph.

I used to give them respect, but I have seen their crooked ways (and got a ticket for a new sign no right turn on red from 6-9 am M-F. And the cop just told me that they are now enforcing it cause someone complained about them not enforcing it. No Warning or anything with clean record. Just a $90 ticket for that BS.)

Oh they never marked that there was a new sign either.

I hate new signs or signal changes. It always takes a few to get used to. Of course at some point they have to start giving tickets for disobeying a traffic sign.