My Amish Adventure Part Two

vectorvictor

WTF, why didnt anyone tell me there were Amish in southern Ohio too.

Well, as you read last weed...Sorry 420... didnt mean to get your hopes up.

Last week you may have read about my short trip through Amish country north and this weekend I decided to go south. At 7am sunday morning I rode out (pissing off the neighbors im sure) and headed south to lancaster and stopped at my In-laws to grab a bite and join forces w my father in law.

The roads down to Lancaster are pretty ho-hum but since it was early on a sunday they were empty and had a good bit of fun on 661 north of Granville.

St rt 37 was mostly empty and made good time and the roads are in good shape but are usually very busy. Arrived at my inlaws house at 8:30 and grabbed breakfast and a cup of joe and headed out about 9:30. We headed to Becks Knob road out of lancaster which if you have a chance to look you can see the farm I spent most of my youth on over on the corner of Shaw and Crumley roads at least on a clear day (not today). You cant take a look if you are moving due to the curve w a 100 foot drop off with just a guard rail to catch you if you should make a mistake. We then turned onto 22 towards Circleville and rode over the st rt33 bypass that is a beautifull piece of pavement that is smooth as a babys bottom and has mostly long corners but lots of cops! Next we turned south onto 159 or Chillicothe Lancaster rd and cranked it up a few notches. Most of 159 is slow rolling hills w lots of views of corn and soybeans w a few long curving down hill runs that give you a glimpse of the Hocking Hills and the like. The road is mostly free of issues except the damn freeze bumps every 30ft that give your suspension and your back a workout.

We then jumped on St Rt 23 and headed south with the wind pushing us along w used up the left lane and made good time down to Portsmouth where we then headed west on US 52 along the Ohio river. 52 was bumpy and covered w patches in sections that were on top of patches till you get out of Portsmouth. Stopped and paid 3.50 a gallon at a gas station that had the old rolling number pumps and still was pumping gas for its customers. There are now three full serve gas stations still in ohio that I know of.

Continued west on 52 until we got into a little trouble... Well we were

in a hurry to meet up w my father in laws brother in maysville ky and were

not paying attention to the speed when we came around a corner and what do you know.. shit theres a hywy patrol car heading towards us and once I saw him I new we were had. Soooo we didnt make a run for it seeing as how were only on cruisers and hey how bad could it be to be pulled over on a bike anyhow. Whats a few more points on my license anyhow. The six I have are getting lonely! The cop (fellow rider) asked my father in law if he was passing me because I had slowed down faster and it looked as if he was from the cops position but "no" he says "we are riding together"... Doh ...I can smell the paper trail now... The cop asked him (Dave) how fast he thought he was going and he said he didnt know but he was just following traffic, but the car in front of us supposedly wasnt speeding and was 200 yards ahead of us. Yeah that helps alot. Well sir, you were going 70 in a 55 coming out of the curve. Well at least it wasnt 76 in a 55 is my thought. So the cop takes just Dave's drivers license and not mine which he never asked for and

I didnt pull my wallet out of my inside jacket pocket just cause you get a gun drawn when you do shit like that without being asked to right? He never asked for it and I dont hand it over. He comes back from the police mobile after three minutes and hands back the info to Dave who gladly and with a smile says thank you. The officer then gives us a verbal warning and the whole "there are lots of deer around here and thats why its 55 mph and not higher, so slow it down cause I dont want to pour you into a body bag " speech and lets us go. WOW, It pays to ride a cruiser.

We got back on the bikes and went back to running 65mph down the near flawless 52 that has some awesome views of the river and then turned on

the first bridge crossing into Mayville Ky and stopped at a DQ to meet some family and grab a bite about 1:15.

After hydrating and packing away a footlong coney and some ice cream we

turned north onto ohio 41 and except for the occasional grass clippings this road was perfect. Everything from long straights to a 180degree hairpin marked 20mph. The only down fall is it is busy w cars and bikes but worth the trouble to ride. 41 then dumped off onto ohio 50 to chilicothe where we

topped off again and cruised back up 23 to 159 to lancaster the same way we came.

After stopping at Daves to grab dinner and top off the coffee quota I headed back home and arrived at 9:15 just as the headlight was doing

something.

The day couldnt have been much better and ranks in the top 5 best days I have had to date. Just watch out for the horse gifts (from their ass with love) while you ride through the heart of southern ohio cause its a great ride.

Total miles for the day 398 and fourteen hours of blissfull throttle twisting.