Sat 1-Aug, ride to New River Gorge WV

fox_racing_guy

This wont be a ride for folks that can't do 500 miles in a day, you could stay overnight down there if you wish but I will be returning home. The plan will be to leave New Philadelphia from the Sheetz Gas Station at the 77/39 East Exit at around 8am. The travel route will be 800 down to the river and at this point you can spend $3 and ride the Ferry across or for the really thrifty you can do down 7 to the bridge and cross into St mary's. From there it will WV RT16 all the way down to Gauly Bridge to pick up US 60 East. From 60 it's off to US19 to gander at the New River Gorge bridge and I like to take old US 19 all the way down to the little bridge.

The return trip can varry and there are many routes and if your really wore out you can slap it all the way home if you wish from Charleston WV Via I77. I'm open to any one else's idea for routes ( but not final destination) and start times if it fits your schedule any better. I like to do these long rides on Sat in case there are any problems it gives everyone a extra day to return to the real world of work and deadlines. I didn't map it because I don't need one personally but I do have extra AAA WV maps for anyone that might think they need one.

My normal pace is between 80 & 90 indicated ( 72-83 actual) but there will be moments of wicking it up, passing on the double yellow, and general hooliganism. Just trying to be upfront as possible and if you don't think you can handle the mileage you could always turn around at any point and back track your way home.

Mark, I plotted the route on Google Maps... roughly anyway..

New Philadelphia to New River Gorge

That plot assumes using the bridge to cross into WV, but I'd prefer the Sisterville ferry. Whatever variations though, this is looking great. The Ohio stretch down to the river is always fun, and I've ridden a small section of WV16 before and hear the rest is excellent. Great roads and an interesting destination, I can't wait.

I live in Ironton OH but my Father's side of the family lives one town over from Fayetteville where the bridge is. Don't forget that Hawk's Nest Overlook is very close as well. It's just off of 19. You can take a boat ride(minimum cost) up the river and come pretty close to being under the bridge. The most fun part is riding an old school tram about 850 feet down the side of the mountain. Ahead of time, yes the tram is old as hell but it's safe...lol. As far as the roads, I rode it a few weeks ago..they are mostly clear and only a few places where gravel tends to lay just because it's in the hillls and washout happens. Wish I could meet up with you at Gauley Bridge but I have to work.

Have a safe one!! Keep me in mind for the next time you are this way.

Edited by marcredd

Hey Mark, I cross posted this ride to rideohio.org in case there are any hardnuts over there who would be interested. I stressed that it'll be a sport/sport-tour pace with minimal stops.

I gather that Tpoppa is thinking about it too.

We had a great ride down to WV and back and hopefully I can get a few more to come along on the next 1. I even passed a WV state police ( at around 90MPH) SUV hauling a trailer full of weed without a ticket.

Crossing into WV by ferry. The guy on RC was not with us but we ran into him a few times through out the day. He wasn't so lucky with the WV state police.

DSC00020.jpg

Someone moved there house across the street while we ate lunch in Clay.

DSC00032.jpg

The bridge

DSC00069.jpg

Total mileage was 536 for me, there is another guy that had to be around 700 for the day.

DSC00109.jpg

Brilliant ride Mark. Thanks for arranging it. And for leading the first 400 miles.

Ray Winstone rode in our group. He insisted his name was Chris from Tusc County and like a true pro, stayed in character all day.

Great actor. And fast!!!

CORE_20090801_New_River_Gorge_-_6.jpg

bit of a squid though..

CORE_20090801_New_River_Gorge_-_1.jpg

The majestic Ohio River

CORE_20090801_New_River_Gorge_-_10.jpg

Mark doing a sneaky meditation on the ferry. I knew there was something dodgy about this bloke.

CORE_20090801_New_River_Gorge_-_3.jpg

The meditation must have gone well, cos here is Mark pulling faces at his ZRX. It never even cracked a smile though.

CORE_20090801_New_River_Gorge_-_15.jpg

However, it pissed itself later on in Clay WV.

CORE_20090801_New_River_Gorge_-_19.jpg

Here's Honda guy at the start of his ill fated drug mission in Clay WV.

CORE_20090801_New_River_Gorge_-_20.jpg

Gauly Bridge. Where'd the bridge go?

CORE_20090801_New_River_Gorge_-_27.jpg

Bikes parked at Rest stop halfway down Old US-19 looking up to the New River Gorge bridge..

CORE_20090801_New_River_Gorge_-_25.jpg

Looking up to the New River Gorge bridge..

Edited by bambam
Spelig