Replacing chain - go with OEM sprocket sizes?

progrmr

Looking at my options for a chain replacement. Previous owner took the front sprocket down 1 tooth to 15. I'm wondering if it would make more sense to go back up to 16 teeth up front.

I think I should just go back up to 16 and experience the bike in its OEM form.

My understanding is that going down to 15 makes the acceleration faster. With 16 teeth would the power be more evenly distributed across the power band?

Benefits one way or the other, or personal preference kind of thing?

any deals out there on kits? I'm looking at bikebandit and denniskirk...about $175-$200 is about the going rate.

I hear everybody saying that they went down 1 in the front and up 2 in the back.

That seems to be the magic formula. So if thats what was done then going back to the stock front gear won't be all there is to do.

I'm thinkin' you just might want to check that back sprocket to see what it is.

Just a thought...

Doing just the front is a cheap alternative ($20) to getting a new chain and rear sprocket. Most of the time you can get a front sprocket on without replacing the chain. Personally, I think going down one upfront is perfect for most 600's, "wakes" it up a bit, and doesnt effect ur topend/highway speeds too badly. Drawback tho, is it does effect ur speedo and odm.

Edited by exSRAaron

Well the bike does have 19,600+ miles on it. Betting the rear sprocket and chain are original so I'd say its time to replace. I don't mind dropping $200 on it - gotta have those parts in working order :)

:plus1: i change all 3 at the same time...they are cheap enough, why screw with it...peace of mind is worth $200 when i need a new chain/sprocket

Long story short is what do you want when you're done?

If the speedo being off is no biggie - change the sprockets, then the question is do you want to trade quick take-offs for fuel economy and top speed (then decrease the front sprocket and/or increase the rear sprocket) or do you prefer fuel economy and top speed to short bursts? (then increase front sprocket size and decrease the rear)

I guess i'm out of the street riding so it lost its importance these days. The only neg i hated when i did this was the more miles on the bike. I always just asumed 10%off on the spedo when near a leo. Other than that i never look at the the spedo....

no all modern bikes would come -1&2up if there were no sound ord. The manufactures went the way they did with the gearing so our bikes would be quieter at higer speeds. -1&2up is the best thing u can do to a modern high reving sportbike. For the track i do -1 and up 4,but thats track specific. If u are wanting to do 160+mph u should go stock. If u want to use all ur power under 160mph u should deff go -1+2. It is the only way to get into the meat of the power at the correct speed.

no all modern bikes would come -1&2up if there were no sound ord. The manufactures went the way they did with the gearing so our bikes would be quieter at higer speeds. -1&2up is the best thing u can do to a modern high reving sportbike. For the track i do -1 and up 4,but thats track specific. If u are wanting to do 160+mph u should go stock. If u want to use all ur power under 160mph u should deff go -1+2. It is the only way to get into the meat of the power at the correct speed.

ok i got ya now