TomTom Rider 2nd Edition

sleepyk

Hello!

Does anyone have experience with this motocycle-centric unit? I was thinking about picking one up to use on my bike and in the car. I've done some reading and theres some great freeware out there to import a customized google map route into the GPS. I'm assuming the unit has no speaker since it is made to be exposed to the elements and am wondering how you would hear the directions when using it in the car (you get the directions via included bluetooth headset when riding your bike).

Do you have it?

Do you like it?

I have a Rider v1 and it's a love/hate relationship. The functionality of the device is second to none, and as you stated there are free apps out there that make route planning extremely easy. However, the v1 was plagued with hardware issues, and my device is very finnicky about turning on at times, and it will NOT charge while on the bike. I believe the v2 ironed out the hardware/build quality issues while not changing the core functionality of the device much. If the v2 is what it is supposed to be - basically a v1 with revised bike cradle/charger design and better hardware - I would say go for it without a doubt. I havn't used one personally though, so I can't say whether or not they have fixed the big issues.

Thanks for the reply. The user reveiws seem pretty solid and after some further research I found that there is a a car cradle sold with an internal speaker ($60+ dollars......sigh).

Looks like I can get the unit for $368 at buy.com. I might go to Best Buy tonight to take a peek before pulling the trigger.

Thanks again!

You can always use the line-out to get into your stereo if it has inputs (most factory head units do, although sometimes it requires patching in to the DIN plug....that's what I did on my truck.

As you note one benefit of the TT units is the clever aftermarket apps...I use Tripmaster on mine to read/write Garmin & generic .gpx data, which is handy.

rider 1 had issues with the charger bike mount. Middle of Wisconsin mine failed of course no paper maps with me either. the vibration had enlarged the pins in the cradle and it intermittently had contact. I sold it and got a zumo. I would look at one in person before you buy it and make sure they switched from the pin socket configuration