turn signal prob - no flash?

cclay

Hey anyone ever have a problem where the turn signal lights up but doesnt flash? both front and back lights come on but it just stays lit til i turn it of. and it only does this on one side. My left signal works fine but the right just stays stuck!:mad:

Hey anyone ever have a problem where the turn signal lights up but doesnt flash? both front and back lights come on but it just stays lit til i turn it of. and it only does this on one side. My left signal works fine but the right just stays stuck!:mad:

Haha sell that shit already...:D

-Elliott

Well, if the bulbs both come on, the only thing I could think of is a break from after the circuit lights the bulbs going back to the indicator. It's obviously dumping power into the bulbs, but you have a break in the circuit that's making your bike think it has a bulb outage when it's really a problem in the line.

I had this same problem at one time, and although I can only speak for myself (and I'm FAR from being a mechanical or electrical whiz!!) but with mine, it was the fact that I have double filament bulbs, and one of the filaments was broken. A two dollar bulb fixed the problem. (again, for me...not sure if your problem is the same)

Harley~

Well, if the bulbs both come on, the only thing I could think of is a break from after the circuit lights the bulbs going back to the indicator. It's obviously dumping power into the bulbs, but you have a break in the circuit that's making your bike think it has a bulb outage when it's really a problem in the line.

it's a bad bulb. they are dual filiment for the turn signal. when the filiment breaks it stays illuminated and doesn't blink. it's made like that so you know it's not working.

this is very normal.

yea i feel real dumb about that, i know thats whats wrong when a car does the same thing but didnt make the connection. Only have the bike a couple months and the guy i bought it from put the wrong bulb in it. didnt find out til i replace it with the same wrong bulb then tore down the electrical trying to trace the problem and then checked the other side to match up the working bulb. 3 hours of being a mentally challenged. shuda just bought the bulb fluid!

o yea, n made 2 trips to iron pony bc a parts guy swore on his life a 7.5watt bulb could replace a 23 watt! wanted to punch em in his throat when i got back bc i knew he was full of it. then they didnt have the right bulb at all, so i had to buy the whole turn signal just to ride yesterday. $20fix

Ah yes, the old Stanley 1034 23/8w dual filament bulb. Stanley was the Japanese equivalent of GE/Sylvania back-in-the-day. Cars and motorcycles haven't used those since back in the mid 80s. That would be why it was hard to find and out of stock. Probably no one in town stocks them anymore. They are still made, and cost like 21 cents in bulk, two bucks for one, but probably now only easily found in China. I think GE still makes them, but not sure about Sylvania. Might have found one in a salvage yard for free. It's also a tail light bulb in many bikes. And I know GM/GMC used them in some turn signals. Dennis Kirk (1.99) and Amazon (10 for 11.95) and AceHardwareOutlet (not GE, 10 for 4.69) list them. I might have to stock some of these for my old bikes...

http://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-Automotive-Signal-Miniature/dp/B001UM1HVI/

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=22271&store=&catId=&productId=p22271&leafCatId=&mmyId=

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(ooab5e45xmmv5045lkz5tf55)/productdetails.aspx?sku=2147012552&source=GoogleBase

Next time maybe try a boat shop. They are still used on boats?

And I recommend replacing bulbs in pairs, both left and right.

note: there are also halogen replacements, but at a 50watt draw, it would beat up the electrical system on most old bikes. I'd only use it for a tail light.