Photoshop request: House paint

justin0469

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically especially with the builders of this era home used a thin solid color stain on these homes. However at anytime an actual paint could be applied over it. If painting, any bare wood would need to be primed. My suggestion would be to either go with a sherwin williams brand paint(superpaint), or a semitransparant/solid color stain(woodscapes). When new it really looked nice with the new cedar. However, homeowners found out quickly that it didnt last. I painted over 1000 homes in pickerington alone for this season and on some streets went from neighbor to neighbor to neighbor. Look at your pm's if your looking for a good fair price.

Thanks, I replied. I planned on using Sherwin Williams products, as I have throughout the house (mostly because of the discount ;) ). If I understand what you're saying, it was probably stained but that doesn't last so primer & paint is the better and longer lasting way to do it. This Thurs, Fri and Sat I actually will be around the house (it's rare) so hopefully one of those days you can stop by and check it out.

You should have your roof inspected for wind damage, I had mine done and got a new roof for free! The guy came around told me that 75% of people didn't know they had damage, Sure enough he went up on my roof n said he could get it replaced his company paid my deductible and i got a better roof than the one I had for free. if interested I can pass his info along.

It's not that large of an area on the front, have you considered just replacing the wood with a vinyl siding to match the rear? It probably wouldn't cost much and you'd never have to worry about painting it again. Just another option..:dunno:

It's not that large of an area on the front, have you considered just replacing the wood with a vinyl siding to match the rear? It probably wouldn't cost much and you'd never have to worry about painting it again. Just another option..:dunno:

Hm, does sound like a good idea. Material and labor of installation may not be much but I don't know what kind of work is involved in removing the old siding and if any additional work is required to prepare the areas for vinyl siding...

free roof only applies if you were insured when the storm happened.

How do they know when it happened? Maybe it happened during that wind storm (I don't remember when that was though, do you?), maybe it happened yesterday because the materials were weakened over time?

Hm, does sound like a good idea. Material and labor of installation may not be much but I don't know what kind of work is involved in removing the old siding and if any additional work is required to prepare the areas for vinyl siding...

The old siding should just pull right off, you could probably do it yourself to save some cash. And from what I've seen around here, there isn't any additional prep work to be done for the vinyl. There should just be standard plywood or foam board behind there.

The old siding should just pull right off, you could probably do it yourself to save some cash. And from what I've seen around here, there isn't any additional prep work to be done for the vinyl. There should just be standard plywood or foam board behind there.

I'll probably put that out there when I have ppl come for estimates.

Alot of builders use a virtual watered down stain and apply it in 1 coat. I would definately not replace with vinyl but if you do I have the hook up on material(not installation). Top of the line siding and vinyl bella stone. Superpaint I believe is guaranteed for 25 years when applied correctly(resilience and duration is superpaint but billed at a higher price and geared towards homeowners). Woodscapes is guaranteed for 8years(typically lasts longer than guarantee), and allows the natural cedar look to appear more prevelant.

I would stick with natural colors with the brick like creams, tans, maybe a cool brown, if you want wild maybe a burgundy...your selection is going to be a little limited with the brick...you dont want it to look tastless...But it does look like its a great house

You should have your roof inspected for wind damage, I had mine done and got a new roof for free! The guy came around told me that 75% of people didn't know they had damage, Sure enough he went up on my roof n said he could get it replaced his company paid my deductible and i got a better roof than the one I had for free. if interested I can pass his info along.

I'm going through the same thing right now... who did your roof for you?

Anyone have an opinion of what painting the front siding white would look like? What color trim would go with that?

You dont want to paint vinyl siding. It will look like poo. I dont think I would try to paint cedar white either. Im thinking it might bleed. I would stain the cedar.

It will be nailed on. You will want to carefully remove the nails so as not to damage the celotex.