My first (pet) dog

jbot

excuse me as I get a little excited about getting a dog of my very own. I'm going to guess some of you more experienced dog owners will say something along the lines of "much like boats, it is better to know someone who has pets than to actually own one yourself" but I've wanted a dog for some time, and just never felt comfortable about taking care of one til now. Actually, I'm not anymore responsible than I was before, but I think I've waited long enough, and there is no better time than now since the gf is unemployed for the foreseeable future.

So, without further ado, here he is:

cage7.jpg

I haven't come up with a name yet, so if you have any smashing ideas, let's hear em.

Some contenders so far: Bartleby and Ollie. I let her pick the dog (pretty much... though I did like the dog a lot when I met him) so I'm going to assume I get to pick the name.

Oh, and as you can see, he is a shelter dog (from Cuyahoga County Animal Shelter). Any tips or advice? He is about 1.5 yrs old, and they think he's a black Lab/Pointer mix.

Edited by jbot
moarr pics
  • Upvote 1

Kudos and rep for you for getting a shelter dog. Just remember to be patient and firm. this is new to all of you.

I think we have a couple trainers here. I cant remember names. Good luck though.

Que teh dog eating jokes. :rolleyes:

Cute, he's got that "Please, don't eat me" look in his eyes.

it would be a zing, but i was already admonished for using the "koreans, as a people, are infamous for eating dogs" joke too much.

something along the lines of, "Hey, when are you bringing that cute puppy to see us" and I said "whenever I have some clean tupperware". they were not amused.

hot sauce? like, slather it on wood furniture? would tobasco do the job or do i need something more industrial like essence of habanero?

Tabasco usually works.

And good for you getting one from the shelter. There are too many dogs out there and not enough good people to take care of them. (Get him fixed if he isn't already)

"Come Stains" HAHAHA nice

hot sauce? like, slather it on wood furniture? would tobasco do the job or do i need something more industrial like essence of habanero?

My dog loved Franks. She ate the shit out of our old cabinets as a pup until she was about a year and a half. I ended up using Daves Insanity Sauce. put it on the cabinets and a few drops on her tongue. She didnt like that. She licked the wires of the cage for a while and never touched the cabinets, trim and other wood again.

i briefly considered naming him "GAWD", but I have some friends who would not approve.

I'll have to watch him around the furniture to see if the hot sauce will be necessary. i'm hoping that since he's a bit older (1.5yrs) he'll be a bit calmer than a complete puppy and won't destroy too many things. it seems like he's even house broken already, but i don't want to expect too much of him.

one thing I thought of, while reading a bunch of "Idiot's guide to taking care of dogs", is that I'll yell at him in asian-speak so he won't think i'm going to field goal punt him every time i say "bad" in english.

Don't trust the 1.5 yr. old thing. Labs can stay in the "puppy" mode until age 4. Mine was about the same age when we got her. She chewed my wooden table leg in the living room.

QFT mine is just now loosing the puppy and just turned 4.

So, without further ado, here he is:

cage7.jpg

Any tips or advice? He is about 1.5 yrs old, and they think he's a black Lab/Pointer mix.

He looks younger than that. Good job getting a friend that needed a good home. Best advice after raising several dogs (2 dobermans, 1 dalmation and 1 Short hair German pointer).

Advice:

Be the Alpha male, ie. use strong voice commands to scold or control actions. Use soft and reassuring tones to praise good behavior or when showing affection. Dogs are like kids, they crave attention but need to be taught that misbehavior will not gain them attention. When being punished it is best to 1 scold the dog at the sceen of the crime, 2 ignore the pet for at least an hour, 3 find the pet an activity that is acceptable and reward the good behavior.

How do you know if you are the Alpha? Sound stupid or wierd but if the dog will let you flip them over and press you face into their neck they view you as dominent. When dogs sit on you, won't move when you approach, or hog your spot on the couch you're the bitch. :lol:

I hope you and your new friend will form a wonderfull relationship that last for a long time. As for a name, come up with a short list and call the dog by them. If it comes to a particular name or even reacts to it you'll have a winner since that name already evokes an emotional responce.:D

Get a book of names, when he is settled down, ie not in lets go for a walk mode. Start reading some name out of the book. When he looks interested, thats his name!

Get a giant rawhide chew toy for him, if this breed chews, let him get it out of the way on something that is ok to chew up.

Take him to the park a lot! He looks like he enjoys running and chasing ducks/geese.

Get a frisbee! :)