Help with carb syncing?

jporter12

on the 250? do you have a synch tool or are you doing it on the bench?

On the Interceptor. I have all the tools to do it, just no experience! I have 2 different sync tools, one's an old mercury unit that is out of mercury (got from a friend in such condition) and a brand new mercury free unit that I managed to get the fluid from #1 tube sucked through the engine, due to my inexperience! Both are Motion Pro units.

Anyway, I found out that I had them WAY far off, and I made things worse when I tried to do it myself the other day. I'm ordering some new fluid in a few minutes to replace what I lost. Today, I worked on the bike quite a bit, found out by running a compression test that I had the rear camshafts out of time. I got everything back in time, and I got the carbs MUCH closer, but I haven't hooked up the sync tool again to even try doing it again. I have them "bench synced" better than before. I know I can do it by syncing each cylinder to the main one (#4 is the cylinder that doesn't adjust) but I ran out of confidence. More like I'm just frustrated.

I would like to do the Ninja also, since I'm pretty sure the carbs have been off of it before, and I would like to be sure it's good to go, too.

Ok, scratch that! I got it all figured out, once I got the carbs close by bench syncing them, it was easy as can be! I still need to adjust the valves, and get the pilot valves (screws) adjusted, I think I might have some plugged passages there, otherwise it is running much better! I'll be checking the sync again after adjusting the valves, now that I found how easy it is when they're relatively close!

I'll be doing the Ninja soon, and probably assisting chevysoldier with his Yammahamma as soon as the 6mm adapters come in.

If anybody needs to sync their carbs, feel free to let me know, and you can use my stuff. I'm not going to offer to do it for anyone, but the $100 sync tool, and the screw adjuster tool (actually a pilot screw adjuster tool) are here, for those that know how, just don't want to spring for the tools!