Conversation with a store owner on their CPZ sign

Likwid

I wasn't going to deal with it because I get really nervous about talking to a business owner about a policy in THEIR store... well I'm glad I called them.

Talked to the business owner about the gun buster sign he had up, initially he told me it was a legal issue and he was going to trust his insurance agent. I read a few things off the OhioCCW website for him, specifically the legal liability section... much to my amazement, not only was the owner incredibly nice and polite to someone that was, essentially, asking him to change something about HIS store... he said "you know what, I'm going to take the sign down... it just doesn't make sense"

What a great conversation, I'm on cloud 9.

TLDR version, if you have a store you shop at that has a GB sign up, don't be afraid to ask the owner about it!

also, shop at BA Sweetie in Parma.... SO MUCH CANDY!

I was speaking to the company lawyer about this the other day. He said you can ignore it. Although he said we should not publish that we don't care. To eliminate every Joe smo carrying. he said regardless of the sign we could individually ask someone not to carry. So his suggestion was keep it up so it's not a mafia and carry if you want to. The sign is bologna unless your asked not to carry.

I was speaking to the company lawyer about this the other day. He said you can ignore it. Although he said we should not publish that we don't care. To eliminate every Joe smo carrying. he said regardless of the sign we could individually ask someone not to carry. So his suggestion was keep it up so it's not a mafia and carry if you want to. The sign is bologna unless your asked not to carry.

erm, I wouldn't take this, you're right from a private employer liability side, but as a consumer/carrier you're breaking the law, and yes, it's a 4th degree misdemeanor to knowingly violate a "do not carry".

But you're right, as a business owner, civil liability is very limited for people acting negligently or inappropriately. Consumer is a different story.

That would probably be the right thing to do since half the people at our CCW class were your employees.

Besides, they should all be encouraged to carry in that area. Canton should give you a gun at the city limits.:D

I wasn't going to deal with it because I get really nervous about talking to a business owner about a policy in THEIR store... well I'm glad I called them.

Talked to the business owner about the gun buster sign he had up, initially he told me it was a legal issue and he was going to trust his insurance agent. I read a few things off the OhioCCW website for him, specifically the legal liability section... much to my amazement, not only was the owner incredibly nice and polite to someone that was, essentially, asking him to change something about HIS store... he said "you know what, I'm going to take the sign down... it just doesn't make sense"

What a great conversation, I'm on cloud 9.

TLDR version, if you have a store you shop at that has a GB sign up, don't be afraid to ask the owner about it!

also, shop at BA Sweetie in Parma.... SO MUCH CANDY!

Good job!

erm, I wouldn't take this, you're right from a private employer liability side, but as a consumer/carrier you're breaking the law, and yes, it's a 4th degree misdemeanor to knowingly violate a "do not carry".

But you're right, as a business owner, civil liability is very limited for people acting negligently or inappropriately. Consumer is a different story.

Your correct. I was thinking in terms of I'm the owner and i forgot i'd be the only one to tell me not to. I'd never do it in someone elses business who has the sign up.

When this carry law first came out the insurance companies pushed this stupid sign hard.

Your correct. I was thinking in terms of I'm the owner and i forgot i'd be the only one to tell me not to. I'd never do it in someone elses business who has the sign up.

When this carry law first came out the insurance companies pushed this stupid sign hard.

Gotcha, yah, you can do whatever you want as the owner (assuming you aren't drinking)! Plus, you could GRANT permission to people (that's part of the "unless otherwise specified")

I can understand insurance companies, they FREAK out when perceived risk goes up, all in the name of limiting exposure. Lawyers often pay little attention to the law and simply recommend the path of least possible risk, in my opinion. If you want to be safe, put up a sign like Gander Mountain "All firearms must be checked with the front register ** does not apply to CCW"

On a similar note, I have found a new gas station I will be going to all the time by my house. The valero on 237 has a sign up that is pretty big that welcomes chl carriers. It reads "we welcome all chl carriers, this is a crime free zone" first I have seen of it's type around here.

On a similar note, I have found a new gas station I will be going to all the time by my house. The valero on 237 has a sign up that is pretty big that welcomes chl carriers. It reads "we welcome all chl carriers, this is a crime free zone" first I have seen of it's type around here.

Wow that's great! I've yet to see one in the wild, but I have a few printed just in case :)