8 year old draggin knee

Hoblick

www.peterlenz.com has the full story with correct details.

that youtube video of him passing everyone makes him look more impressive than he is. Don't get me wrong - he's an amazingly talented rider, but in that video, he's weaving through a bunch of novices who aren't even putting a knee down. He passes a liter bike on the straight at one point. Again, the kid has crazy skills, but I don't think that particular video shows them - there's just too much slow traffic for him to even be on the race line very often.

Edited by redkow97

• 2 weeks later...
www.peterlenz.com has the full story with correct details.

that youtube video of him passing everyone makes him look more impressive than he is. Don't get me wrong - he's an amazingly talented rider, but in that video, he's weaving through a bunch of novices who aren't even putting a knee down. He passes a liter bike on the straight at one point. Again, the kid has crazy skills, but I don't think that particular video shows them - there's just too much slow traffic for him to even be on the race line very often.

It's the same thing with Tyler... Impressive and really talented - don't get me wrong. BUT, add in a few crashes and that young kid with no fear starts to get smarter and understanding more of what goes on and the probability.

Kids like Josh Herrin, Ben Spies, etc that were small bike racers that grew up to be world class or soon to be are 1 in a million and unfortunately, tend to have parents that believe they are better than what reality is.

Best of luck to them off of course, but in truth, they are up against some pretty tough odds. Kids like the Horizon Award winner who at 14 was running front pack on a 600 for the first time are what stand out as best chances. Even at that ability level and that young age, they are often times found to be quick flames and peter out before they get up much higher...

Also, a lot of parents push their kids into the AMA stuff too quickly thinking that's the best course when they really should be racing club, getting their feet wet, going WERA National Series and THEN AMA...

Most times the pushing too much ends up back firing and in this sport, money is a big factor. Big enough to have some talented kids end up dropping the sport due to not getting picked up and getting enough support. Again, the odds are against them and the sponsors and teams are VERY critical of who they are looking at and what they expect.

peter lenz seems to be legit

the kid's got talent for sure, but there are just a ton of things that can and WILL change.

I went to high school with a guy named Josh McAdams who was state champion in several track events, wrestling, and cross country.

as a high school sophomore, he ran a 4:07 mile. At the 2008 Summer Games, Josh was on the US Olympic team for the steeple-chase.

Not only did he fail to make it out of the heat round against world-class competition, but I don't believe he ever bested that 4:07 mile he ran as a sophomore in high school.

Josh was his fastest as a 145 lbs 16-yr old, and basically grew up and put on too much muscle to run any quicker. Peter Lenz is killing it as an 80 lbs kid. It's not simply a given that he'll maintain such a favorable power to weight ratio, or that his skills on a small bike will translate as well to a bigger bike some day.

I fully support his efforts, and I really hope he makes it, but he's up against European riders who have infinitely more fast competition. He's a big fish in a small pond in the US. That's not his fault, but it IS a handicap.