any fellow sprint owners here?

oldschoolsdime92

It's best to have the rear end loaded on any bike. Your swingarm pivots on a fixed point. The tightest spot being with the sprockets and swingarm pivot point all aligned with each other. If the bike is on the center stand and the rear end unloaded the chain adjustment will likely be too tight once you finish and drop the bike off the centerstand and sit on it.

I like to unload the rear tire, find the tightest point in the chain then drop my bike to the kickstand and do my adjustment.

Brandt, sorry about not calling you last night. My mother got sick and I was with her for a large part of the afternoon after I got home. It was also raining so I didn't really think you'd wanna bring that bike over.

It's best to have the rear end loaded on any bike. Your swingarm pivots on a fixed point. The tightest spot being with the sprockets and swingarm pivot point all aligned with each other. If the bike is on the center stand and the rear end unloaded the chain adjustment will likely be too tight once you finish and drop the bike off the centerstand and sit on it.

I like to unload the rear tire, find the tightest point in the chain then drop my bike to the kickstand and do my adjustment.

Brandt, sorry about not calling you last night. My mother got sick and I was with her for a large part of the afternoon after I got home. It was also raining so I didn't really think you'd wanna bring that bike over.

No problem man! :) things come up! The triumph service manual says put it on the center stand and have 40mm of slack. On the stand i have about 1.5 inchs of vertical slack which is right in the area of what the manual says. 1.4-1.6. or 36-40mm. How do you go about measuring? I use a tape and go off the bottem of the chain.

The manual is accounting for the difference then. I normally set chain slack to 1"-1.125" with the rear weighted.

I measure at the tightest point in the chain in the middle of the swingarm. With a tape from a pin to the bottom of the swingarm.

The extra 3/8's to .5" they state is because they are checking the chain with the rear end unweighted. Both would be acceptable. If you adjust it on the centerstand I would still check it again after you take it off the centerstand to verify it's not too tight.