Audio/video advice

alab32

I am looking into/thinking about getting a home theater system. Not looking into anything expensive. Like 400 or less... leaning more to the less side. Anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at the Panasonic SC-PT770 but since i really dont know much about this stuff... thought i would see if someone else does. Thanks in advance everyone!

Just remember this when shopping you get what you pay for is 100% to in the electronics world.

Personally I would wait until you have saved at least $800.00. $400.00 may get you a decent receiver.

I use a Yamaha component system with a PS3 for the Blu Ray. I started off with a cheaper Yamaha system and was disappointed with the speakers. Over time I upgraded the speakers and eventually the receiver and sub-woofers.

Good luck with your choice.

I can highly recomend sony or samsung if your buying a surround sound and not building one. Just remember this when shopping you get what you pay for is 100% to in the electronics world.

sony or samsung for TV's- NOT audio equipment.

I couldn't disagree more on the 'get what you pay for' comment either. The manufacturers have you convinced that this is the case.

Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, or Onkyo for audio equipment is what I would recommend.

Is a theater in a box what you need? What kind of TV do you have? How many video devices do you plan on connecting? Do you already have a DVD player? Do you plan on upgrading to BluRay in the near future?

Those theater packages are nice and simplistic, but they are VERY limited. Most only have 1 or 2 extra inputs so you're unable to connect many extra devices.

I think something like this would me substantially more versitile and have MUCH better performance for only $200 more than that panasonic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BJOKWW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001XURGSK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11PR5HXXQ5506C1DQFSS

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I know a 'little' about this stuff.

Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, or Onkyo for audio equipment is what I would recommend.

Agreed. I did all the audio/video stuff at my parents house and I outfitted the entire house with 2 Denon receivers and all pioneer speakers. Probably over 30 speakers throughout the house and they get compliments all the time when they have people over for parties and such. I HIGHLY recommend both. In my place I just have a basic setup as I've spent all my money on the bike lately but its a Onkyo receiver with some big shelf speakers my buddy gave me from his shop and have been pretty impressed with them

I vouch for Pioneer and Onkyo. I also vouch for Klipsch, in the pre-Best Buy days. Not sure if it's crap now...but that usually how it goes when high end manufacturers start sticking their gear in there.

I've got a set of Klipsch 5.1 speakers that are about...oh 13 years old..and sound really good. I bought a Kenwood receiver around that time frame, because for the price and the stupid amount of clean power, it couldn't be beat. Plus I was on a major budget.

Good luck.

I vouch for Pioneer and Onkyo. I also vouch for Klipsch, in the pre-Best Buy days. Not sure if it's crap now...but that usually how it goes when high end manufacturers start sticking their gear in there.

I've got a set of Klipsch 5.1 speakers that are about...oh 13 years old..and sound really good. I bought a Kenwood receiver around that time frame, because for the price and the stupid amount of clean power, it couldn't be beat. Plus I was on a major budget.

Good luck.

Klipsch is still really good. Their contractor stuff is better however.

I prefer to stick to the equipment that manuf's have a lock on. Pioneer for audio equipment not speakers. Sony for video not audio, etc...

Klipsch is still really good. Their contractor stuff is better however.

I prefer to stick to the equipment that manuf's have a lock on. Pioneer for audio equipment not speakers. Sony for video not audio, etc...

Nice to hear. My dad has a pair of the older Klipsch horns. He had some McIntosh tube amps, but game them away. Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Bo$e sux.

I have to disagree, I have a Bose system and it is easily the best system I've ever owned. Sure it may not be the loudest, but for my house it gives me the deep roar that rattles stuff off of the walls when you watch war movies. Plus I really like the aesthetics of it, the little cube speakers are easily hidden and they produce awesome sound.

*OH and I got mine on sale for $799 so it was a crazy good deal!

I have to disagree, I have a Bose system and it is easily the best system I've ever owned. Sure it may not be the loudest, but for my house it gives me the deep roar that rattles stuff off of the walls when you watch war movies. Plus I really like the aesthetics of it, the little cube speakers are easily hidden and they produce awesome sound.

*OH and I got mine on sale for $799 so it was a crazy good deal!

Bose does a great job selling you a system that works well.

What you don't get is really excellent performance.

A properly setup system like the onkyo/klipsch one I linked to above will blow your Bose out of the water. The bose is simply easier to install and use. Aesthetics shouldn't have anything to do with your AUDIO purcases, Bose has simply convinced people to the contrary. :D

BOSE: Better sound through engin..., er, marketing. ;)

As another amateur audiophile, I'll throw my .02 in as well.

If you are looking to put in a HT system in a specific room, before you walk in to BestBuy or wherever and get blown away by the ZOMGELEVENTYPOINTONESPEAKERS! systems, think about where you are going to place these things. I bought a Onkyo 7.1 system and to this day haven't placed the side surrounds since doing so would require fishing wire through walls and running it through the crawl space under the floor in my living room.

That being said, I would +1 Denon, Onkyo, and Panasonic. -1 Samsung, Sony. If it looks chintzy on the outside, chances are the electronics inside are just as bad. Home theater in box's aren't bad, just make sure that the receiver is decent and with the inputs/outputs you want. Don't worry about the speakers, chances are you'll be replacing them in a few years for something that doesn't suck.

I bought a Onkyo 7.1 system and to this day haven't placed the side surrounds since doing so would require fishing wire through walls and running it through the crawl space under the floor in my living room.

That being said, I would +1 Denon, Onkyo, and Panasonic. -1 Samsung, Sony. If it looks chintzy on the outside, chances are the electronics inside are just as bad. Home theater in box's aren't bad, just make sure that the receiver is decent and with the inputs/outputs you want. Don't worry about the speakers, chances are you'll be replacing them in a few years for something that doesn't suck.

Fishing wires is EASY if you have access like that :)

Samsung makes great TV's. This I know. I wouldn't use them for anything else besides BluRay.

Definitely, for four or five hun you can get a great all-in-one system that will more than satisfy. I've seen speaker cable for $100 a foot and you're only supposed to run music through it one way! The human ear's not that good. You're right on the smart track by looking for what you described.

Definitely, for four or five hun you can get a great all-in-one system that will more than satisfy. I've seen speaker cable for $100 a foot and you're only supposed to run music through it one way! The human ear's not that good. You're right on the smart track by looking for what you described.

nobody here is recommending anything that extreme.

one area that 'theater in a box' fails in usually is inputs. Usually they only have one additional video input which means it's a PIA to connect say a PS3 and a cable box.

+1 to Onkyo, Denon, and Pioneer. I have an Onkyo 7.1 system that I bought as a home theater in a box. The speakers are respectable but I'm going to replace them soon. I think I paid $500 for the whole thing, plenty of inputs on the receiver. I'll try to find the website where I bought it.

And on a side note, Samsung tvs are extremely overrated. Pioneer's are much better.

I couldn't disagree more on the 'get what you pay for' comment either. The manufacturers have you convinced that this is the case.

I don't think he meant any specific brand, I think he was leaning more toward the fact that $400.00 is not going to get you a very good setup. I would have to agree, wait until you have 1k saved and then go looking for a great deal unless you are not expecting too much out of a system.

$100/foot? That's Wal-Mart brand. Here's the weapons-grade stupid: http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-terminated-speaker-cable/dp/B000J36XR2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254331478&sr=1-4

Thanks for reminding me though, get ALL your cables from monoprice.com. No, I don't work for them, yes, they are in Cali so shipping might take a little bit, but you are going to save bucketfuls of cash on cables and mounts.

Thanks for reminding me though, get ALL your cables from monoprice.com. No, I don't work for them, yes, they are in Cali so shipping might take a little bit, but you are going to save bucketfuls of cash on cables and mounts.

I buy ALL my cables from monoprice. There is no advertising or packaging to pay for, so you get the same quality as store bought brands at a fraction of the inflated price. I am VERY picky about my audio/video gear, and monoprice hasn't let me down yet.

Holy crap... lots of replies popped up here. Sheesh. Well, I am not sure I watch my TV enough to justify spending 800-1000 on an audio system. I just want one because when i do watch movies, i want to ENJOY what im watching. I have a 42" Phillips plasma TV that I have had for a couple/few years now. I just want something to add a bit more enjoyment to my movie watching. I was looking at some Onkyo systems on the comp last night but since I dont know much about anything... well, that sums it up. ha ha. Thanks for all the replies everyone. Deff not planning on a Bose, deff not planning on a $1000 system.... I am not a techy guy enough to worry about all that.

What equipment do you plan on using with this system?

cable box, bluray, game console(s)?

Something that a true AV receiver will offer is video switching. Set the TV on one input and leave it there. Most package deals don't allow for that much functionality. They're intended for someone that watches cable and dvd's only.

check out that onkyo/klipsch package I linked earlier. That is a pretty sweet system for $600.