Ruger revolvers?

scottb

GP-100 or SP-101.

I have a stainless 101, 3" barrel.

Shoots .38spc and .357 mag just fine and the 3" barrel makes it a little more weighty than the 2.25" barrels. I did a lot of homework on the gun prior to purchase, and it's generally held in high esteem and built like a tank.

It could be a CCW gun, but it's way bulky compare to an LCP .380 or another ultracompact.

Edited by JRMMiii

The GP is the larger gun...

I'm confused. You don't like the SP?

Caliber and ammunition wise, the GP or SP both shoot .357mag - so if you're looking for home defense, that's the caliber you want (in JHP). But, if you want to load .38spc 'sissy' rounds in it for the woman to handle... then there's that option.

.38spc, .38spc, .357mag... or any combination thereof. What's not to like about the SP or GP? What specific models of Ruger did you have in mind then?

Or, if you DON'T want a Ruger... like jbctown posted, there's quite a few guys that like the Taurus Judge because it'll fire .410 shotty shells. I've never fired a Judge, but they're bulkier than the SP even.

Edited by JRMMiii

The Ruger i was offered is not the SP, it looks like this, from Ruger's website:

8.jpg

But the grips are different. I have not gone to a store to look at other models or prices, but was offered this one for $200. I do not plan on getting a CCW yet, just looking for something for home and shooting range practice

That's the GP in Blued form

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=8&variation=Blued&bct=Yes&type=Revolver

It's the SP's big brother, considered a large-frame revolver (6 shot)... 4" or 6" barrel.

I'd prefer the 4" for various reasons, but they MSRP for $616, which means you could probably get it for $525-$550 on sale.

I'd say it's worth $200 as long as the seller isn't some shady guy selling guys out of his trenchcoat.

Unless there's something seriously wrong with it (like he's fiddled with the trigger mechanism, assuming he's not a competent gunsmith)... it's an almost new gun, and revolvers are very reliable. You click, it goes bang, if it doesn't, you pull again. IMHO, much easier to operate in a stressful situation if you're not constantly training with your semi for stovepipes, jams, or otherwise.

Bottom line, I'd bite on that price. Once again, assuming there's not some shady reason why he wants to get rid of it for that cheap. I'm sure he could get MUCH more for it elsewhere - so it just sounds a little fishy that he wants to part with it for that cheap.

Reasonable price. He's knocking a bit off for a friend.

I usually try to find everything at 40% off retail.

And used at roughly another 40% off. (220 in this case)

Sometimes calculated as roughly half way between trade-in value and dealer resale value for used.

Popular items can't be found for prices like that.

I'm guessing your friend has been buying at deep discounts.

The longer barrel and adjustable sights will work as a target pistol.

And 38 special is affordable to shoot.

Easy enough to re-sell, I don't think you can go wrong.

Good for target practice. Home Protection? In the dark or semi dark with limited rounds down range? Get your self a 12ga. reduced recoil .00 buck with cut down barrel and an extended tube, mount a sure fire on it, your aim becomes less critical.

Or, if you're pet friendly and like dogs,pick one. A pit bull or a Rott with it's vocal cords cut. Keep it lean.

off topic but familiar....Ruger is having there 60th anniversary. Offering 3 models i think as anniversary issues. Limited production.It's in the NRA mag..buy it and stick it in safe. sell it in 30 years.

Thanks for the advice. This is not a compact gun. I have just started my research. The price seems great, but might be too much firepower for home protection, if there is such a thing.

No such thing as too much firepower for home protection unless you're in an apartment complex and have to worry about over penetration of rounds.

Revolver looks a bit big for conceal, as you probably guessed :) but you could snubnose it.

I have a GP-100 and it is accurate as well as nice-looking. Plus I'm sending quite alot of energy towards the lucky bastard who wants to do me harm, with some defensive loads reaching 1600fps out of a 4-inch barrel. The 125gr JHP is still one of the nastiest rounds to come out of a pistol, that can be controlled somewhat if you practice, plus you can get a Wolf Spring kit to lighten the trigger pull for double action. Midway Ammunition sells target ammo in bulk for the .357 so you can practice with a 125gr load at the range. A very accurate round for sure...