Wtb- .308

OfcMav

Hi all i am in the market for a nice and cheap .308 that i would like to possibly turn into a match rifle, anyone have one they want to sell or know anyone that is selling one for cheap??!?!! I have a new savage accutrigger .338 win mag - 24in stainless, but dont think that will make a good match gun.

First you need to figure out what kind of matches you are looking to do. I can tell you right now that if you want to compete in Benchrest, there are much better calibers to use. Also, there is allot of other things to do to build a rifle. So, are you looking to do Benchrest, F-class, Tactical

What distances are you looking to compete in 100,200,300,600,1000,1200?

Have you ever shot long range before?

What are you looking to spend?

Do you have reloading equipment?

Etc. etc.

Im probably going to be your best source of information on here when it comes to long range shooting or competition shooting.

Feel free to pm me if you like. Im currently shooting out to around 1200 yards with my rig and compete in tactical competitions which are very different from Benchrest and similar to F-class.

Edited by flounder

Don't listen to flounder, he doesn't even have a rifle and has never shot one.

jk of course, good luck with the search

Quick search on OFCC:

stevens round reciever staggerfeed action w/ savage stainless fluted varmint barrel, w/ 6.5x20x50 optics. $500

First you need to figure out what kind of matches you are looking to do. I can tell you right now that if you want to compete in Benchrest, there are much better calibers to use. Also, there is allot of other things to do to build a rifle. So, are you looking to do Benchrest, F-class, Tactical

What distances are you looking to compete in 100,200,300,600,1000,1200?

Have you ever shot long range before?

What are you looking to spend?

Do you have reloading equipment?

Etc. etc.

Im probably going to be your best source of information on here when it comes to long range shooting or competition shooting.

Feel free to pm me if you like. Im currently shooting out to around 1200 yards with my rig and compete in tactical competitions which are very different from Benchrest and similar to F-class.

Ok i guess i understated the quantity of info that is needed for this discussion haha. ok, i am looking to do something like the nra high power rifle, 200-300, 500-600. I have never shot long range before. i did not want to invest a ton of money into it in case i well...suck or dont like it that well. i thought the .308 would be a good starting point. and building at this point doesnt sound cost efficient to me even though i would like that, and it would prolly benefit me in the long run cause i am also a lefty and hate working a righty bolt haha. it seems like i would love it but never sure until i try it. i do have a lot of reloading equip and currently reload 223 and 338 win mag. i havent really thought about which type i want to- i know i dont want to do benchrest though. a lt of my pd shoots it as well but i figured i dont want to bug him all of the time and gather my own info on my own about the competitions and rifles and such. he uses a .260 ish haha round and absolutely loves it. i think he finished top 10 at the nra nationals at Perry this summer? anyways, just some thought, i appreciate the help and feedback!!

Ok i guess i understated the quantity of info that is needed for this discussion haha. ok, i am looking to do something like the nra high power rifle, 200-300, 500-600. I have never shot long range before. i did not want to invest a ton of money into it in case i well...suck or dont like it that well. i thought the .308 would be a good starting point. and building at this point doesnt sound cost efficient to me even though i would like that, and it would prolly benefit me in the long run cause i am also a lefty and hate working a righty bolt haha. it seems like i would love it but never sure until i try it. i do have a lot of reloading equip and currently reload 223 and 338 win mag. i havent really thought about which type i want to- i know i dont want to do benchrest though. a lt of my pd shoots it as well but i figured i dont want to bug him all of the time and gather my own info on my own about the competitions and rifles and such. he uses a .260 ish haha round and absolutely loves it. i think he finished top 10 at the nra nationals at Perry this summer? anyways, just some thought, i appreciate the help and feedback!!

Its a hobby that once you get into it, you will spend a ton of money doing.

What is your current budget? If you just want to compete to learn and not actually be competitive, then go ahead and grab a .308 or .260 and go learn.

If you want to be competitive, expect to spend thousands on parts, ammo, reloading equip, good glass, and practice your ass off every chance you get.

If your ever in columbus and want to shoot, let me know. FYI, allot of the guys winning comps are shooting better than 2 inch groups at 600 yards.

The other thing I would advise since youve never shot long range is to go get a nice savage 22 with accutrigger for about 350 and go shoot at 100 yards wth it to learn trigger control, hand positioning, and breathing techniques.

Edited by flounder

Its a hobby that once you get into it, you will spend a ton of money doing.

What is your current budget? If you just want to compete to learn and not actually be competitive, then go ahead and grab a .308 or .260 and go learn.

If you want to be competitive, expect to spend thousands on parts, ammo, reloading equip, good glass, and practice your ass off every chance you get.

If your ever in columbus and want to shoot, let me know. FYI, allot of the guys winning comps are shooting better than 2 inch groups at 600 yards.

The other thing I would advise since youve never shot long range is to go get a nice savage 22 with accutrigger for about 350 and go shoot at 100 yards wth it to learn trigger control, hand positioning, and breathing techniques.

What would you recommend then to be competitive, what cal, gun, scope, etc on a budget of about 1500. i have all of the stuff i need for reloading except the die, and other components of whatever cal i will be using, but that isnt that big of a deal. i am familiar with trigger control, hand positioning, and breathing tech. i am the most familiar with trigger control- i shoot frequently and i have had very good instructors at my dept.

What would you recommend then to be competitive, what cal, gun, scope, etc on a budget of about 1500. i have all of the stuff i need for reloading except the die, and other components of whatever cal i will be using, but that isnt that big of a deal. i am familiar with trigger control, hand positioning, and breathing tech. i am the most familiar with trigger control- i shoot frequently and i have had very good instructors at my dept.

If you actually want to compete, you have to figure out which class your going to compete in since there are weight and caliber restrictions. On a budget of 1500, your basically looking at a stock gun with a minimal scope unless you buy used. A 1500 budget isnt much at all in this world even for a used rifle without a scope. Figure that at a minimum you need to buy the following.

rifle

scope

scope rings

scope base

You could always try and find someone with an old rem 700 for dirt cheap and buy it for the action only, then take the action to a quality gunsmith, pick what caliber you want to shoot, and have them put on an krieger,hart, lija, broughton, etc barrel, and true the action/bolt.

You also have to make sure that your within your weight limits and caliber restrictions for the class you want to compete in. Honestly from what youve said, I would say go grab a Rem700 308, Savage 308, or a .260 and just go learn and you will figure it out. If you actually want to be competitive up front, I think youre going to have a tough time with a 1500 budget.

Just remember a rifle that shoots .5MOA groups at 100 yards doesnt mean it will shoot .5MOA groups at 600 yards. Thats the big difference between stock and custom rigs. Ive shot them all and luckily get to shoot with the world record holder for best 5 shot group at 1000 yards. (He owns the range I shoot long range at - cool guy)

Pfft, everyone uses .308's. Go old skool and use a 7.62x54R. :) I just happen to have a Mosin 91/30 in decent shape and a M44 in a little better shape that I just don't shoot anymore.

Shooting is better when Mother Russia's on your shoulder! :D

Good luck with the search!

Pfft, everyone uses .308's. Go old skool and use a 7.62x54R. :) I just happen to have a Mosin 91/30 in decent shape and a M44 in a little better shape that I just don't shoot anymore.

Shooting is better when Mother Russia's on your shoulder! :D

Good luck with the search!

You do realize that 7.62x54R is still a .308 right? The case is just a bit longer.